Stags vs Jags

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a breeze for County. Didn’t both their arses and came away with a comfortable win. Once again we create absolutely nothing.

No idea what goes on in Caldwell’s head. Playing 2 wingers upfront with a striker playing as 10 then changing the full formation so he can bring on a CM as a LM.

Doolan is finished. If he leads the line all season we'll get relegated. Made the same stick of being too loyal with a manager, can't do it with players now.
Not enamoured at all with Bannigan remaining. Another booking today, yeesh.

Doolan has been anonymous for about 12 months and looks done. Saying that usually sends a few fans into meltdown but it’s the truth.

He’s been mince so far this season but he isn’t done. A semi decent manager would ensure he gets the service that he needs to score at this level.You don’t score double figures in the Scottish Premiership one season and become done in the course of a pre season. 

A more enjoyable game than the last home game v Queen of the South.

No silky soccer on display but both sides went at each other which made for a fairly even game. On chances created County were deserved winners. By my reckoning we had 2 shots cleared off the line and another deflected off the bar. Compare that to Partick, who despite all their best efforts didnt really force Fox into any saves of note.

From my position it was a stick on penalty. Almost kept out, but the power of the shot saw it go in. Good finish for our second which to be honest settled the nerves as there was no way back for the visitors at 2-0.

Back to the top of the league, so you couldnt really ask for more.

22 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

He’s been mince so far this season but he isn’t done. A semi decent manager would ensure he gets the service that he needs to score at this level.You don’t score double figures in the Scottish Premiership one season and become done in the course of a pre season. 

I agree.  If he was playing up front he would have put away that half-chance Storey had from the cut-back just after County scored.  Doolan didn’t have a bad game necessarily, but he’s barely a goal threat in behind two forwards (that save he forced out of Fox in the second half notwithstanding).

34 minutes ago, Firhill_Basin said:

Not enamoured at all with Bannigan remaining. Another booking today, yeesh.

I thought Bannigan was Thistle’s best player, but he clearly needs someone behind him like 15-16 Osman to break up counter attacks. County had three good breakaways in the second half, were taken out by two professional fouls and scored from the third.

Abject fare for my first Jags game in a couple of years. First County goal looked offside, Bannigan was OK for the first hour, our big defender with the blue boots seemed OK, and that's about it. A freezing sea fog rolled in with 10 mins to go, adding insult to injury. Fucking Boooo!

I thought County's shape was wrong at the beginning of the match, but within moments of changing it County won the penalty for the opener.

County named the same XI for the third week in a row, but in the two previous matches they started with a 4141/433 shape before reverting to 442 and improving later in those matches.  This time around they started with the 442, Mullin on the left and Cowie on the right.  Of the three matches to start with the 442 I didn't think this was the one to do that, with Thistle going 3412 and Doolan playing off Fitzpatrick and Storey.  Storey was his usual self but I thought Fitzpatrick was wasted up front like that.

Doolan's role between the lines kept County's centre-mids honest.  With Cowie tucking in so much it left a no-man's land on that side of the pitch: Penrice didn't influence the game much from LWB and Fraser has IMO been playing within himself a lot since returning from injury.  Bannigan tended to be the spare man in midfield and that helped a lot with Thistle keeping possession for spells.  County's best play was when they did double-up on the flanks but it was few and far between; Thistle edged the first quarter of the match.

County reverted to the 433, with Draper sitting in the hole where Doolan was linking play and the other centre-mids going man-for-man.  Cowie's sprint beyond the striker from the next passage in play won the penalty - I have no idea if there was contact but Cowie did well to get goal-side of the defender.

County improved but not by a huge margin.  It brought more out of Mullin, who moved to the right where he is so much more comfortable.  On the flipside it took Stewart out of position - he helped deal with Elliot in a physical sense (although Stelios was regularly timing his jumping well against Elliot), but Stewart's positioning and movement still have room for improvement.  Stewart looked so much better in Mckay's role as the counter-attacking centre-forward later on... by that point Caldwell had taken off a defender to put Slater in what was more of a 442 diamond midfield, so there was plenty space to hit on the break.

Given that the management have been missing three of the first choice back four from the start of the season, as well as key players in Vigurs and Gardyne, I think they have done well to keep the momentum going.  I'm concerned about when Vigurs is going to come back, he was an unused sub for the second week in a row but wasn't involved in any of the warm-ups.  I would have liked to have seen Gardyne come on sooner with a view to playing in the derby next week, because he balances the left hand side a lot more than the other options.  It wasn't anywhere near a vintage display and County will need to play better but I can't complain.

I thought Partick in small bursts played neat football in areas that were totally ineffective- for about 10-15 minutes County were chasing shadows but Thistle didn't force Fox into any kind of real action. With Midge out on the wide left we're a far better set up side, as I loved his run near the end where he dragged us fifty yards up the pitch before winning a corner.

2 hours ago, Duszek said:

Abject fare for my first Jags game in a couple of years. First County goal looked offside, Bannigan was OK for the first hour, our big defender with the blue boots seemed OK, and that's about it. A freezing sea fog rolled in with 10 mins to go, adding insult to injury. Fucking Boooo!

I agree Billy McKay was far in advance of any Thistle defenders when he picked up the ball and scored. :1eye

Caldwell a wee bit deluded to the press after the match.  The claim that Cowie dived isn't a strong one, the highlights show that Cowie takes the ball away with him in spite of the tackle coming in.

"It was total control from us, but we couldn't put our chances away.  We get into their box but don't have a killer in the team who can go and score a goal."   Total control is nonsense, but having suffered Owen Coyle this time last year I kind of appreciate he has to put a positive spin on having a terrible record.  He doesn't help himself however when he has a striker with > 100 goals for the club put in a position where he is less likely to get into the box.

Archived