Pars vs Ayr: Andy Geggan Love-In

Red cards? You're having a laugh. :rolleyes:

Having watched them back:

Moore's is a booking. I'm not convinced Bell's is even a booking tbh. If he touches him its slight, I'd call that a dive. I thought the ref had until he pulled it back. 

A point was about right.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much respect for Ayr this season, but I have got to be honest and say I thought they were very average yesterday. Boring game. Pars were the better side second half but  toothless, story of the season.  AJ just can't find a way of linking the midfield to the forwards. El Bak runs about in the most ineffective areas. Nice flicks and touches but doesn't make a dent in the opposing defence.

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Moore's is a booking. I'm not convinced Bell's is even a booking tbh. If he touches him its slight, I'd call that a dive. I thought the ref had until he pulled it back. 

A point was about right.

Look at Bells motion, you don't move like that if you're not trying to catch the man. 

We're so laughably bad in front of goal, for the first 20 minutes Ayrs off the ball movement was genuinely fantastic to watch, its a rarity at this level for players to appreciate movement off the ball creates space even if they don't receive the ball, Geggan and Smith? Were fantastic at it. They ran out out ideas though and played pretty poor for the rest of the game. 

Before the first sub we were talking about how we hoped it was Moffat and not Shankland being brought off. 

The highlight for me was Moff failing to convert 1 on 1 with the keeper.  Plus ca change.  I'd still have him at EEP, but he's just not a proper striker.

Watching the game on Pars TV, it wasn't completely terrible.  For once we didn't gift a team one or two goals, or at least Ayr weren't able to accept our generosity when we offered it.  Westie was the co-commentator.  Amazing what a difference it makes to have someone that actually understands the game on the mic. 

We're now in December and I don't think AJ knows his best starting eleven.  I'm still hopeful that it could click into place.  Having said that, he seems to think that Hippolyte can play football and that suggests a severe lack of judgement.

Average performance today from Ayr, Pars set up not to lose and achieved their aim. 0-0 probably fair although Ayr have two clearest chances to score. Pars tried to mix it swapped Higgy n El Bak but neither got much out of our full backs particularly Smith who I thought was back to where he’s been all season.  Defence looked solid all game. Subs were questionable, not sure McGuffie is up to this level. Moore’s frustration will cost us points unless he learns the channel it !!! I’m sure plenty teams will draw or lose points to Pars , so may turn out to be a decent point. I’m still aspiring for top four and at this time we are right on track ! Well done guys, keep it going! 

Watching the highlights back just confined what I thought at the time. Ref had a good game and got all the main calls about right. Never a red for Bell or Moore and Dunfermline antics out of order especially around the Moore incident. All is not right at EEP, your team was desperate, created very little but with loads of effort. A change of manager would help I would suggest.

29 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Watching the highlights back just confined what I thought at the time. Ref had a good game and got all the main calls about right. Never a red for Bell or Moore and Dunfermline antics out of order especially around the Moore incident. All is not right at EEP, your team was desperate, created very little but with loads of effort. A change of manager would help I would suggest.

When you say all is not right at EEP that’s a bit of an understatement 8 operations on players this season and we have been leaking goals I was glad to see us frustrate Ayr do the niggly little stuff like delaying the restart and crowd the ref (at full speed I thought it was a red so did lots of posters on here, but looking back from a better angle a yellow was fine) , you lot have been scoring for fun and we haven’t been scoring if we had rolled over for you then maybe you would be happy but we aren’t in a position to open up against you. Second half was better if we play like that against Alloa we will be fine and that’s our level at the moment until we drag our arse away from the relegation places. 

9 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Moore challenge not quite as desperate as it looked from the other angle. I’d say it was hard but fair, a foul and a booking.

The Bell one it’s hard to say. I was right in line with it and he was done for pace and took the guy out. Last man? Maybe.

We had most of the chances but Ayr had the best two. There was a foul on the lead up to the shankland chance. Another push.

So little to say about the game that I'm just going to pick up on this point. No, there wasn't. Unless you mean possibly the nudge in the Ayr player's back at the very start? Even then, that's not either.

A point was about right.

Bell definitely makes intentional contact but it's very slight. At the speed the forward was going though, he does impede him - and I'm probably shouting for it if it's at the other end.

Moore just lacks the class needed at this level, and his loose control almost cost us a red (again).

Looking back, the moff sub looks the worst one for me. He's got the nouse needed to thread a pass, and that's exactly what we needed at that point. Moore gives us a lot of effort and can undoubtedly take chances but that wasn't the right time for him.

Also, the shankland chance is hardly a 'sitter'. It's a very good chance, but folk (including myself) are maybe being a bit harsh on him.

If moffat scores early we would've strolled it I reckon.

I know what you are saying wrt Bell but from that angle it looks like a dive to me. If he does make contact its very slight and the forward goes down like hes been shot. Hence the dive, it also took the ref an age to bring it back. 

Moore is a loose cannon, his indiscipline is a problem. I guess its frustration from not starting. Definitely wrong to sub Moffat though.

Was a poor game for sure but we had the best two chances. Moffat's 1 on 1 and Shankland's at the death. I'll take a point away to EEP. 

Also is that us unbeaten in 8 league games? Cant really complain and if we win our game in hand we are top again! 

Never red cards. The Bell one, there is no way Keena is getting to the ball, which was going straight to the keeper. Therefore, no clear goal scoring opportunity.

The Moore one is nowhere near as bad as it perhaps looked at the game. Yellow card definitely the right call.

Glad I waited to see the highlights before giving a view on the Bell and Moore 'incidents'. Consensus seems to be be neither are red cards, I'm not sure either are even fouls to be honest. As others have observed, Bell hardly touched the boy who went down like he'd been shot (and Bell wasn't even the last man, let alone a 'clear goal scoring  opportunity denied') and Moore was reaching slightly but they both players were and just came together hard but fare for a 50/50 ball. Whether folk agree with me or not what is clear is neither are remotely "stone wall" reds, to say the least. Maybe more folk should wait for the highlights rather than pontificate.

Pars had a couple of dangerous balls into the box that nobody got on the end of, and one decent chance well saved.  Don't see where the BBC get their seven shots on target from - we were barely troubled at the back bar that one shot, although clearly a more confident side would have caused us a lot more problems in the area. Lots of excellent blocks from the Ayr defence, lost count of the number of balls in that didn't penetrate past the first man.

AJ on record as wanting his team to be more 'streetwise' and it showed. I called it cheatling, and it is although happy to admit everybody does it (including Ayr in previous seasons especially) when they set up to try not to lose. I don't like to watch it mind, and it contributed greatly to a poor match but it's for us to break that down and we failed to do so , on an off day.

I too was surprised by the subs today, and would have left McDaid on and brought Guff on for Andy if anybody. I would have pulled Shanks for Moore rather than the Moff too but what do we know. Jobbie has made many 'questionable' subs this season that have turned out to be inspired so hard to be critical, especially with 20/20 hindsight being applied.  

No real complaint about the points being shared. We had by far the two best chances of the game and failed to convert either and got what we deserved. Small margins and all that.

There's no such rule as last man. Why do folk persist with such nonsense?

Why should fans wait until the highlights to give their opinions? Plenty on here have given their opinion then said they got it wrong when they saw it again. Nothing wrong with that given folk viewed the events in real time from different vantage points.

1 hour ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

Glad I waited to see the highlights before giving a view on the Bell and Moore 'incidents'. Consensus seems to be be neither are red cards, I'm not sure either are even fouls to be honest. As others have observed, Bell hardly touched the boy who went down like he'd been shot (and Bell wasn't even the last man, let alone a 'clear goal scoring  opportunity denied') and Moore was reaching slightly but they both players were and just came together hard but fare for a 50/50 ball. Whether folk agree with me or not what is clear is neither are remotely "stone wall" reds, to say the least. Maybe more folk should wait for the highlights rather than pontificate.

Pars had a couple of dangerous balls into the box that nobody got on the end of, and one decent chance well saved.  Don't see where the BBC get their seven shots on target from - we were barely troubled at the back bar that one shot, although clearly a more confident side would have caused us a lot more problems in the area. Lots of excellent blocks from the Ayr defence, lost count of the number of balls in that didn't penetrate past the first man.

AJ on record as wanting his team to be more 'streetwise' and it showed. I called it cheatling, and it is although happy to admit everybody does it (including Ayr in previous seasons especially) when they set up to try not to lose. I don't like to watch it mind, and it contributed greatly to a poor match but it's for us to break that down and we failed to do so , on an off day.

I too was surprised by the subs today, and would have left McDaid on and brought Guff on for Andy if anybody. I would have pulled Shanks for Moore rather than the Moff too but what do we know. Jobbie has made many 'questionable' subs this season that have turned out to be inspired so hard to be critical, especially with 20/20 hindsight being applied.  

No real complaint about the points being shared. We had by far the two best chances of the game and failed to convert either and got what we deserved. Small margins and all that.

This is the third or fourth post about Pars players “cheating”.   Show me one professional footballer who says he has never cheated and I’ll show you a bloody liar.  Every team and every player is at it from the first whistle to the last.  Kicking the ball away stopping quick free kicks, stealing yards at a free kick, stealing 5 yards at a throw in.  Which to be fair your lot did very well yesterday.  Your man Harvey at left back was an expert in stealing yards.  But as our manager says that’s streetwise football.  It’s up to the officials to clamp down on throw ins, standing in front of free kicks, time wasters etc, and McLean and his team yesterday were poor at that for both sides.

The two fouls were fouls but certainly not reds and the right decisions were made.

Off day for Ayr, clearly not at their best yesterday.  My fear for us is that yesterday was one of our better performances this season...says a lot.

lots of work to be done in January that will shape not only this season but next season too for us.

Archived