St Johnstone v Rangers, Sunday 23rd December 12:15pm

Expect lots of friendly carol singing, and exchanging of gifts in this the last Premiership match before Christmas.

Important for Saints to start well, as our last two home games we've given ourselves an uphill struggle against average at best teams, by conceding in the first 5 minutes.  Rangers play Accies today and Hibs midweek, so hopefully we can start sharper than them.

Our recent record at Ibrox has been decent, up until the 5-1 skelping 3 months ago, but we've only had a single draw at McDiarmid against them since they did a Lazarus, so a Saints win is overdue.

Blair Alston has 3 of his 8 St Johnstone goals against Rangers, so should definitely be considered.

Clark

Foster Kerr Shaughnessy Tanser

Kennedy Davidson Craig Wotherspoon

Alston

Watt

with Kennedy and Alston swapping positions every so often, and Danny making an impact from the bench. Did consider Callachan in for Davidson to bring a bit more running into the centre of the park, as Rangers will keep a lot of possession and there'll be a bit of chasing to do, but Davidson and Craig have been pretty solid for us the past 3 months.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our last home win v Rangers (I think)...

No footage of a 2-1 Saints win in 2000 with Momo Sylla scoring the winner

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/984881.stm

We also beat them 2-0 in January 1997, but not sure there's footage of that one either.

https://www.worldfootball.net/report/premiership-1997-1998-st-johnstone-fc-rangers-fc/

That was the season Marco Negri scored 23 goals in the first 10 matches. I'd seen us get pumped by Rangers constantly, and a few of us made the bold decision to stay in the pub rather than head up as it had been a bit soul destroying over the years.  I was gutted I'd missed the time we finally beat them. 

As far as I can tell, since the start of the premier league in 1975, those four are our only home wins against them.  There are a few draws in there as well.

Time to get them pumped Saints!

Can't be arsed going to this, price is mental for this time of year.

Suspect we'll have a run of defeats to even up for the run we've just been on, and we regularly show Rangers too much respect at home. Comfortable away win.

Yeah I might give this one a miss too. Sunday games are the pits and I’ve got work in Glasgow on Christmas Eve so I might just watch on the tv. 

Alston in for McMillan and try and shut the backdoor for more than 90 seconds and we’ll give ourselves a chance. 

Here is the win from 1998, the first time I'd ever seen us beat Rangers. In fact, it'd be the first time anyone under the age of probably 35 at the time would remember it. 

Watching that back, that was a great Saints team. Five full internationals plus Alan Main who was in more Scotland squads than many a player that has been capped, a couple of million pound players starting in defence, two players that would win moves and play in the English Premiership. The bit where O'Neil puts Vidmar on his backside twice in succession is glorious and Gattuso and Porrini are probably still having nightmares about Leigh Jenkinson. Only fair to say, what a player Brian Laudrup was as well though. 

2 hours ago, Radford said:

Here is the win from 1998, the first time I'd ever seen us beat Rangers. In fact, it'd be the first time anyone under the age of probably 35 at the time would remember it. 

Watching that back, that was a great Saints team. Five full internationals plus Alan Main who was in more Scotland squads than many a player that has been capped, a couple of million pound players starting in defence, two players that would win moves and play in the English Premiership. The bit where O'Neil puts Vidmar on his backside twice in succession is glorious and Gattuso and Porrini are probably still having nightmares about Leigh Jenkinson. Only fair to say, what a player Brian Laudrup was as well though. 

Great find. Don't think I've ever seen it before.

Thats a brilliant St Johnstone team.  Be interesting to see where that Saints team would be in this season's Premiership.

The commentator mentions the scouts in the stand that day to watch young Callum, quite an impressive list; from Villa, Blackburn, Leeds, Wolves and Spurs.

Great to see the way we went at them that day, be good if we go for the win in similar fashion this Sunday.

That's a rangers team who had 3 players who would be part of champions league winning squads; German, Swedish, Danish, Italian internationalists, and five Scottish internationalists who got over 230 caps between them. At least 8 of their starting team played in either world cups or European championships, or both.  Wonder where it all went wrong?

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Suspect we'll have a run of defeats to even up for the run we've just been on, and we regularly show Rangers too much respect at home. Comfortable away win.

Only £10 for Saints fans remember.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

This. As good a chance to get right in about them. 

But as usual, we'll lie down, get our bellies tickled. 

0-3 at least :(

^^^ Real fan...

Looking forward to this one, love having thousands of bigots from Ballingry and Bo’ness wondering about, makes me feel better about myself, which will be a boost I will inevitably need as I have my work Christmas party on the Friday. 
Mince pie and a pint for anyone that tans a (luke warm) bovril over those c***s with the Perth Loyal flag. 

Perth True Blues, all good lads![emoji6]

Would put a large wad of money on them not being good lads tbh mate. 

Ach, I dunno mate, shared a flight/hotel with a few of em and a couple of lads from the RSC in Blairgowrie for a game in Spain (Villarreal I think) some years back. Most of em we’re old boys who’d followed the Gers home and away for years. Long established supporters club and were all sound.

15 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Ach, I dunno mate, shared a flight/hotel with a few of em and a couple of lads from the RSC in Blairgowrie for a game in Spain (Villarreal I think) some years back. Most of em we’re old boys who’d followed the Gers home and away for years. Long established supporters club and were all sound.

Well I know a couple and they're bigoted p***ks. 

Personally, I believe that any able-minded person who chooses to support Rangers or Celtic has outed themselves as a disgusting, inferior human being in the process. I could never befriend an Old Firm supporter and I would struggle to politely acknowledge them if they said hello to me in the street.

So being a bigoted c**t is okay as long as you've been a bigoted c**t for a long time?

So being a bigoted c**t is okay as long as you've been a bigoted c**t for a long time?

Nope, I just said they were all sound lads from a long established football supporters club. You’ve added the usual predictable drivel. Yawn Zzzzzz.

Archived