Hero in England, Zero in Scotland

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of the players mentioned on here were just players coming North of the border to get one last decent pay day knowing fine well they couldn't get sod all in Engerland. 

Vaz Te is the main one for me though, I actually watched him play for Barnsley in the December at Upton Park and he looked rotten. West Ham then signed him in the January and he was unbelievable. Really just clicked into Allardyce's system, some of the goals he scored were incredible. Strong on the ball, good in the air, competent with both feet. Yet was honking for Hibs. He didn't particularly cut it in the Premiership, but walked the Championship that year. 

Guy Demel is another, remember his debut away to Middlesbrough and for a full back who must have weighed around 18 stone, he was technically sublime. He also had a solid initial year in the Premiership. Think he bounced between a few sides before eventually appearing for Dundee United. 

Carlton Cole is an odd one, I think his "hero" status at West Ham was mainly due to the fact he took a 50% pay cut when relegated. Whilst some folk see this as a show of dedication, I think it's more likely no other side would take him. I think he had five months of pissing about in Dubai before moving to Celtic. 

Hopefully soon enough Scottish sides will move away from signing these sort of players. The amount of shite that has been signed in fairly recent times just because they used to be a name in England about ten years ago has been ridiculous. Whilst I'm not one of these "GIVE THE YOUTH A CHANCE", you'd certainly think the wages spent on a has been like Djemba Djemba / Carlton Cole/ Ljungberg / David N'Gog / Chris Eagles or someone of similar ilk could be spent improving youth facilities or such like. 

Exactly what I was thinking.  Guys like Barton, Juninho, Cole were just wanting a bit more cash before they called it a day.  They weren't bothered a fuck about actually playing well up here.

7 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

James McFadden was great in England but poor up here (excluding internationals).

Calvin Zola.

Stephen Pearson

Not sure Calvin Zola counts.

He had an alright record in league 2 in England, made the step up and got found out immediately.

On 12/16/2018 at 12:54, Miguel Sanchez said:

Shinnie was shortlisted for the player's player of the year award and was in the team of the year for 2012-13, when Inverness had their highest ever league finish*.

*Second highest. We were third in 2014-15. Otherwise, spot on.

Connor Sammon. Hero for Killie as he was great for us and shite for every other Scottish team.

I’ve been to Kilmarnock, it’s not in England. Completely correct re Sammon being utterly fucking hopeless everywhere else though.

21 hours ago, St Innes said:

Stephen Dobbie with the exception of his time at QOS and the short loan spell at Dumbarton.

What an utterly ridiculous suggestion.

The thread title suggests players who have flopped in Scotland, so you go for someone who's been outstanding here over several seasons.

On 17/12/2018 at 02:13, TheGoon said:

Joey Barton, Joe Garner, Daryl Murphy, Martyn Waghorn (to an extent) and you could make cases for Barry Douglas, Guy Demel & Rowan Vine

Plenty more I’m forgetting though. The quality of the Championshio in particular is so overstated it’s mental.

Vine was superb for us, admittedly dreadful for Hibs and Morton though.

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What an utterly ridiculous suggestion.

The thread title suggests players who have flopped in Scotland, so you go for someone who's been outstanding here over several seasons.

Tbf, Dobbie was an overweight joke figure while at Saints, which is probably where the idea he flopped before going down south is coming from.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf, Dobbie was an overweight joke figure while at Saints, which is probably where the idea he flopped before going down south is coming from.

Yes, but he doesn't remotely fit the bill for the thread. 

He obviously did struggle in the early part of his career and failed to fulfil his potential at Rangers, Hibs and St Johnstone.

He was then brilliant with us for two and a half seasons though, before doing well down south, but never breaking through at the top level.  

He's also been brilliant for us in the two and a half seasons he's been back.  The idea of him being a 'zero' in Scotland is therefore bonkers.  

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, but he doesn't remotely fit the bill for the thread. 

He obviously did struggle in the early part of his career and failed to fulfil his potential at Rangers, Hibs and St Johnstone.

He was then brilliant with us for two and a half seasons though, before doing well down south, but never breaking through at the top level.  

He's also been brilliant for us in the two and a half seasons he's been back.  The idea of him being a 'zero' in Scotland is therefore bonkers.  

Does he not support Rangers?

It's a zero from me.

Just now, Principal Flutie said:

I'm sure he came on as a sub one time at Cappielow and proceeded to score a couple and tear us a new arse. I thought it was a hat trick but can't find anything.

It was a hatrick, one of those perfect ones - right foot, left foot and a rare header.  

Archived