Hero in England, Zero in Scotland

Listening to Stephen Thomson on Sportsound the other night, he mentioned a player St Mirren had on loan but was so gash he had to be sent back.

Now, however, the lad doing really well in the EPL or some other muck. I don't think it was Dummett (did he not do quite well for the buddies?)

I've tried to think of other footballers who came up here, were mince and have since been successful down south, but my brain can't find away around JOEY BARTON. If I recall, he played for QPR or someone after Sevco?

Can you think of any others who have failed up here before or after being successful in the EPL/Championship etc?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh Magennis to an extent?

He was mince at Aberdeen & on loan to St Mirren, fair enough he was fairly decent for Killie, played well for Charlton which won him his move to the Championship with Bolton......

I'm waiting on Dons fans to tell me I'm talking pish here, but wasn't James Maddison a bit average up here? A fine, ***-skelping free-kick aside, I think he struggled to get into the Dons team at the time. 

Now worth trillions and "starring" for Leicester.

We signed Stephane Henchoz, one of the defensive standouts of Gerard Houllier's fine Liverpool side of the early 2000's in 2005, he was utter horsehit.

We have had a few flops who 'starred' in the EPL, Freddie Ljunberg being another along with Eyal Berkovic, the **** though have had numerous examples of their own, Francis Jeffers, Egil Ostenstad and James Beattie immediately spring to mind amongst countless examples. 

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

I'm waiting on Dons fans to tell me I'm talking pish here, but wasn't James Maddison a bit average up here? A fine, ***-skelping free-kick aside, I think he struggled to get into the Dons team at the time. 

He had his quiet moments but when in what I remember was his first game (Dundee at Dens) you could tell he was a very very good player. Although Dundee being ultrashit may have helped.

Nah he was a class above.

He didn’t always show his best but mainly because he was two steps ahead of the rest of the team or he tried to do too much himself.

It was always very clear he’d have success well beyond us though.

Not complete pish. technique wise he was excellenr, but was quite lightweight. If i remember correctly he was always Identified as a threat by oppositions and a plan seemed to be in place to deal with him.

the lad pukki seems to be doing well for norwich ddddespite being utter dross for celtic.

a bit of a stretch but andrew shinnie. never looked like a player that would manage in the championship up here let alone england but seems to have done ok in spells for Birmingham. a stretch to call him a success down there though but reasonable enough.

Archived