Smokies v Rovers

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see McGlynn at least make a start to addressing the defensive issues we have in almost every game. One shut out in the last 13 league games can't be ignored. It's never going to happen, but McKay and Wedderburn at the back in front of Kieran Wright would be a start. It's also time to stop pretending that Gillespie is a full back and get him back into midfield and replace him with Davo for the time being.

Thought this was all done and dusted? If you watch the highlights back there are some hard cracking fair challenges from our back 4, you know what defenders are supposed to do. Your blonde hair wannabe Ramos at the back is a dirty b*****d every single time I see him so you can't take the moral high ground

True. No idea why Rovers fans are complaining about any harsh tackles when we have Davo, Matthews and to a lesser extent Bene in the team every week :lol:

True. No idea why Rovers fans are complaining about any harsh tackles when we have Davo, Matthews and to a lesser extent Bene in the team every week :lol:

It’s more that it appeared that Vaughan was specifically targeted for some rough challenges and if the intent was to injure it was successful. Same think happened to Pele in 1966.

I am bamboozled as to why you’re making out Ross Matthews is some sort of hatchet man. Hasn’t been sent off in his career and doesn’t really get booked an unusual amount.

18 minutes ago, Enigma said:

It’s more that it appeared that Vaughan was specifically targeted for some rough challenges and if the intent was to injure it was successful. Same think happened to Pele in 1966.

Comparing Vaughan with Pele.....love it:)

Any word on Bobby Linn's fitness? He ripped us apart at Stark's.

Shame that this game isn't as big as it looked a few weeks ago. Would never have believed you if you told me after our last game at Starks that Arbroath would be 13 clear by the next time we played but their league form has been relentless and they thoroughly deserve it.

The surprising thing when looking at the results from when McGlynn came in is that the form in all competitions is actually quite similar. Looking at the last 11 games for both teams we have won 7 to Arbroath's 8 and we have lost 3 to their 2 with both teams drawing 1 (against each other). 

However, unfortunately for us both those losses for Arbroath were in cups. The thing that strikes me about the Arbroath team is it is full of experience and a lot of the players and management have won leagues before and know what is required so the chances of a collapse look pretty non existent.

2 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

Im not taking anything for granted and we will loose at some point (hopefully not Saturday) the most important thing is how we react. My only other concern is if we get a couple of injuries/suspensions at the back we r f**ked.

Cue a rash of red cards on Sat,

ToB and Davo + any 2 others from the remaining 20.

So...

• We need to beat Arbroath in the next 3 head to head games. Big ask in itself.
  • We need to hope Arbroath drop points outwith games against us. So far they're not showing any signs of that.
  • We need to probably put in the mother of all runs that would put McGlynn's last stint in charge of us in this league to shame which was 8 wins out of 8 I think. 
It's far to big an ask imo. 

36 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Even if we lose which I don’t think we will I stilll feel Raith would need to win nearly every game to over take us. Boring 0-0 would be fine but a win would pretty much seal it which would be remarkable for December.

Agree with all of this except the part where we'd need to win nearly every game to overtake you even if we won on Saturday. If Arbroath keep up their form from the first half of the season you are correct but surely that isn't possible?

We need to win every head to head between  now and the end of the season starting on Saturday. If we did that we'd only need to beat your points total by 4 over the other 16 games which is possible if unlikely. You'd surely imagine if we are in that scenario points would be dropped by both sides under pressure. 

However, the chances of us winning on Saturday are slim and the chances of us winning the next 3 meetings are zero. I can't see any realistic outcome on Saturday that will have me thinking we have a serious chance.

Im not taking anything for granted and we will loose at some point (hopefully not Saturday) the most important thing is how we react. My only other concern is if we get a couple of injuries/suspensions at the back we r f**ked.
I would expect DC knows we are short at the back and look to do something in January to boost our squad. It is remarkable that us as a part time side are almost half way through the league season unbeaten. We know that we will lose a match but it's how we react to it that will determine our season. So far we have bounced back with wins after the cup defeats and there seems to be a real fight in the side when things go against us. We have a real chance of making this an unforgettable season. C'mon lichties.

So...

• We need to beat Arbroath in the next 3 head to head games. Big ask in itself.
  • We need to hope Arbroath drop points outwith games against us. So far they're not showing any signs of that.
  • We need to probably put in the mother of all runs that would put McGlynn's last stint in charge of us in this league to shame which was 8 wins out of 8 I think. 
It's far to big an ask imo.  

If we beat Arbroath in the remaining 3 head to heads, I’m confident that we would win the league.

Archived