Smokies v Rovers

4 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Agree with all of this except the part where we'd need to win nearly every game to overtake you even if we won on Saturday. If Arbroath keep up their form from the first half of the season you are correct but surely that isn't possible?

We need to win every head to head between  now and the end of the season starting on Saturday. If we did that we'd only need to beat your points total by 4 over the other 16 games which is possible if unlikely. You'd surely imagine if we are in that scenario points would be dropped by both sides under pressure. 

However, the chances of us winning on Saturday are slim and the chances of us winning the next 3 meetings are zero. I can't see any realistic outcome on Saturday that will have me thinking we have a serious chance.

I’ve seen nothing in this league to think our current team will lose 5 games. Not arrogance just confidence. Also think we will strengthen a few areas in January. 

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’ve seen nothing in this league to think our current team will lose 5 games. Not arrogance just confidence. Also think we will strengthen a few areas in January. 

Smith returned on Saturday. If he can find some form he will be like a new signing

I would expect DC knows we are short at the back and look to do something in January to boost our squad. It is remarkable that us as a part time side are almost half way through the league season unbeaten. We know that we will lose a match but it's how we react to it that will determine our season. So far we have bounced back with wins after the cup defeats and there seems to be a real fight in the side when things go against us. We have a real chance of making this an unforgettable season. C'mon lichties.

We are in a great position to attract the right players in January

The problem I see is that defenders might not want to join us just to sit on the bench cos any defender will need to be really good to displace any of our back four. On the other side the chance of a medal might make joining a plus. Pink did say at one of his talks that they have recruits identified. We definately need to add to our squad tho.

The problem I see is that defenders might not want to join us just to sit on the bench cos any defender will need to be really good to displace any of our back four. On the other side the chance of a medal might make joining a plus. Pink did say at one of his talks that they have recruits identified. We definately need to add to our squad tho.

Whilst that’s true I’d also say that any player who’s stood in for a match and done well has also been rewarded with a run in the team.

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 19:17, Paco said:

I am bamboozled as to why you’re making out Ross Matthews is some sort of hatchet man. Hasn’t been sent off in his career and doesn’t really get booked an unusual amount.

Ross is on 4 yellows for the season, one less than Davo and 2 less than Nat.

5 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

If we beat Arbroath in the remaining 3 head to heads, I’m confident that we would win the league.

If is a big word...... 

I would expect us to draw at least 1 of these 3 games, and likely not win 1 and draw the other 2. 

Might be wrong but will know by 5pm Saturday.

If is a big word...... 

I would expect us to draw at least 1 of these 3 games, and likely not win 1 and draw the other 2. 

Might be wrong but will know by 5pm Saturday.

If your auntie had balls....

:lol:

Why the bites?

I was quoting a Rovers fan that said we need 3 things to happen to win the league which is a tough ask.

I was just saying that if the first thing happened then i think the league would be ours.

I didn’t say that I think that will happen :lol:

On 15/12/2018 at 23:23, R.R.FC said:

We’re averaging over 2 goals a game away from home and have scored in every game this season yet we’ve only won 3 away games. Not sure what can be done to change it before January

Concede less?

I think psychology not arithmetic is a much bigger factor than the mere stats on points. You can suddenly get a change in momentum, turning points and what seemed a given at one stage can become a mountain at another. Just to repeat, Arbroath have been at both ends of fabulous runs in the past 4 seasons when punters made the mistake of projecting forward at the halfway stage what had happened UP until then. Still all to play for. All Arbroath have so far is a handy cushion.

27 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

I think psychology not arithmetic is a much bigger factor than the mere stats on points. You can suddenly get a change in momentum, turning points and what seemed a given at one stage can become a mountain at another. Just to repeat, Arbroath have been at both ends of fabulous runs in the past 4 seasons when punters made the mistake of projecting forward at the halfway stage what had happened UP until then. Still all to play for. All Arbroath have so far is a handy cushion.

If we were to win on Saturday it at least asks some questions. Would be absolutely delighted if we go into the new year with the gap any smaller. 

1 hour ago, farflung lichtie said:

And TBH for now that's just about the only hope we Rovers fans can cling to.

In our ideal world we will totally hammer Arbroath  on Saturday thus setting in motion the exact sea change and shift in momentum required, ie one that results in Arbroath going on a losing run.....  realistically however even if we were to win at Gayfield on Saturday I still couldn't foresee any sort of collapse such as would see Arbroath's form falling enough to make that big a difference.

Personally I'm just hoping we do our bit and go on a long winning streak (the next 19 games would be very handy) and for Arbroath to draw some.  No league is ever won in the first half of the season, but we may yet look back and say that it was lost in that time.

Not read the Thread yet but out of interest has Brashy'sBoots been on declaring that Raith's "flair" players will be booted senseless by the opposition in a forlorn hope that Saturday's Officials actually read P&B and that these statements will cement in there mind ensuring favourable treatment for the Raith and the entire Back Four of the opposition to be be booked if not sent off???
Think he's tried it the last couple of times we've played them as well!!!

Didn't work then either!!![emoji6]

32 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Not read the Thread yet but out of interest has Brashy'sBoots been on declaring that Raith's "flair" players will be booted senseless by the opposition in a forlorn hope that Saturday's Officials actually read P&B and that these statements will cement in there mind ensuring favourable treatment for the Raith and the entire Back Four of the opposition to be be booked if not sent off???
Think he's tried it the last couple of times we've played them as well!!!

Didn't work then either!!!emoji6.png

Archived