• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
MixuFixit

Infuriating things your parents do

Thought we were being a bit harsh on our other halfs in that other thread so how about this topic for a change.

My father puts everything in sandwich bags. I went hillwalking with him and his whole rucksack was packed with things in bags. Of course just as I was ready to get going he couldn't find some essential item or other and so he had to take every bag out of his rucksack then take every thing out of every bag until he found what he was after. He then had a think about how to best re-pack his bag. I was stood at the start of the path for a full hour in the wind before he was ready to get going. Mental.

He's also got a fixation with washing his hands and will take a wee bottle of water with him wherever he goes and stand in the middle of a street in full view of the general public pouring water on his hands. Teenage life with him was not easy.

What other quirks do P&B's elders have?

My dad, who lives in Australia, will spend all his time back over here highlighting that everything is cheaper Down Under. 

"Hey, I can get that at home for $4" etc etc. Always quoted in Aussie dollars, which means nothing to me. 

He's pretty much Tam from Still Game, but with a sunhat instead of a bunnet. That said, he's taught me well. 

Only my mum now. She smokes like a lumb. Has done for years. Fucking disgusting habit. The house stinks. And so do you after half a hour in the house. 

The only good thing that's come of it is when I was young and it was supposedly 'cool', I managed to give the peer pressure a good ignoring. Then there's that slightly smug feeling as they struggled to give up years later. Then there's the expense!!! How anyone justifies it to themself is beyond me. Each to their own though. 

:)

Only my mum now. She smokes like a lumb. Has done for years. Fucking disgusting habit. The house stinks. And so do you after half a hour in the house. 
The only good thing that's come of it is when I was young and it was supposedly 'cool', I managed to give the peer pressure a good ignoring. Then there's that slightly smug feeling as they struggled to give up years later. Then there's the expense!!! How anyone justifies it to themself is beyond me. Each to their own though. 

Similar with both of mine. Filthy habit put me right off when everyone was smoking at school.

11 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

how do you know how long i spend in your mum's house ?

and to be fair, she doesn't usually spark up until i'm on the way out after we're finished...

7 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

:)

Does anyone need to justify it?  People enjoy it, you don't, fair enough. Seems a bit strange that it infuriates you when you see your parents struggle with addiction but watching your school friends struggle seems to give you a sense of pride.

My mum being an alcoholic loser who has alienated so many people and my dad going along with it because he feels he has to. She drains him and really needs professional help but nothing is ever done.

Also not talking to their children for 9 months.

Both gone now , but my old man had one habit that especially bugged me.

Whenever he got into his car to drive off , he would never put his seat-belt on first. Instead he waited until he'd pulled out of the driveway or parking space on to a busy road and then rived aboot getting his seat-belt on , usually resulting in the car veering all over the shop.  Christ knows how he managed to do this for years without colliding with something or someone

Edited by A96

My mum being an alcoholic loser who has alienated so many people and my dad going along with it because he feels he has to. She drains him and really needs professional help but nothing is ever done.
Also not talking to their children for 9 months.

What a way to brighten the thread M92.

My mum stockpiles groceries like there will be no shops open for the next 3 years. Maybe not so infuriating given Brexit.
But she takes it too far, there was an offer a few years ago in Tesco for some coffee (bogof), I swear she had at least 50 large jars of the stuff in her garage. As she lives alone and probably has 2-3 visitors per week, she probably had a 3 year supply!
Same with kitchen roll, saves a few pence on it & the garage is full of it.
But on the other hand, she’ll drive 18 miles round trip to buy peppers etc as she likes them fresh that day!
I love her, but she is an utter welt at times.

Going to the football with my dad was a chore. He could never remember names so would shout “go on, eh, eh, Ivo. No, eh, I mean eh, Petrie”. By which time the ball is down the other end of the park. 

When my dad is taking pictures, he slides his glasses down his nose and looks over the top of them, then holds the phone higher and further away from himself so he can see the screen. This is instead of actually using his reading glasses to look at the thing from a regular distance and having his neck in a normal position. It should amuse me more than it infuriates me, but I've seen him do it so many times now it makes me want to cave his head in.

31 minutes ago, Deontay WildPar said:

Going to the football with my dad was a chore. He could never remember names so would shout “go on, eh, eh, Ivo. No, eh, I mean eh, Petrie”. By which time the ball is down the other end of the park. 

That's a bit close to home.    My teenage son could verify that I'm guilty of that.  To be fair , it is a bit embarrasing when I shout "Brillant, Shay !!"  after Shinnie's made a solid tackle

When my dad is taking pictures, he slides his glasses down his nose and looks over the top of them, then holds the phone higher and further away from himself so he can see the screen. This is instead of actually using his reading glasses to look at the thing from a regular distance and having his neck in a normal position. It should amuse me more than it infuriates me, but I've seen him do it so many times now it makes me want to cave his head in.
Have you told him that he is doing it all wrong? Or does he just ignore you and just wants to piss you off?

3 minutes ago, A96 said:

That's a bit close to home.    My teenage son could verify that I'm guilty of that.  To be fair , it is a bit embarrasing when I shout "Brillant, Shay !!"  after Shinnie's made a solid tackle

Mine did the decent thing and died about 20 years ago so I don’t have to put up with his pish any more!