Peterhead v Cowdenbeath

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Al, I was going to say, before Aberdeen Cowden, surely you as much as anyone understands there's no logic when it comes to weighing up a weather report... or potentially supporting your team in a faraway place. Many times watching the Uniteds of Manchester, I've set off for a game in awful conditions, more in hope than expectation that the game is on

I feel for the travelling support at this time - especially after a similarly futile trip to Elgin only a couple of months ago - but as someone said to me today at FC United when I questioned our sanity at watching a mid-season friendly/much-needed club fundraiser on a blank weekend, Shaking my head as the rain pelted down and the wind chilled your bones, I asked the fellas next to me - one who'd made a seven-hour round trip - why we do such things.

His response was that this is what we do on a Saturday. And it's what we've always done.

There's no logic or reason... other than we're all just a bit daft!

38 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Al, I was going to say, before Aberdeen Cowden, surely you as much as anyone understands there's no logic when it comes to weighing up a weather report... or potentially supporting your team in a faraway place. Many times watching the Uniteds of Manchester, I've set off for a game in awful conditions, more in hope than expectation that the game is on

I feel for the travelling support at this time - especially after a similarly futile trip to Elgin only a couple of months ago - but as someone said to me today at FC United when I questioned our sanity at watching a mid-season friendly/much-needed club fundraiser on a blank weekend, Shaking my head as the rain pelted down and the wind chilled your bones, I asked the fellas next to me - one who'd made a seven-hour round trip - why we do such things.

His response was that this is what we do on a Saturday. And it's what we've always done.

There's no logic or reason... other than we're all just a bit daft!

I get what your saying mate. Just iv seen a few folk slagging the clubs/refs/spfl or whoever for not having the foresight to call it off in advance, yet they still made the journey with the benefit of their knowledge that the game ‘should’ be off.

If you’ve made the journey in hope, then surely the clubs etc are giving the game a chance to be on in hope?

i don’t get the aggro from some, and it’s the same every time a games off.

maybe I’m no daft enough (anymore)!

Ps. Think most of the complaining was on Facebook to be fair

Haha, to be fair pal, it's probably wise at our age that we aint daft enough any more (well, compared to how we used to be)... and also, I don't think Facebook can never be used as a barometer for people's angst - and I'm not talking Cowden's page but FC United's where 'our' page is best avoided!

And am travelling up in January, costin me 50 notes on the train, for the Sevco match cos I'm hoping with that being on the box, there's no way they will call it off. And to b honest, if I've made the trip up, game or not, I'm going to enjoy my day out, which i think is the only way to approach games you're heading to where there's no certainty it'll be off.

And since when has a result ruined a good day on the ale, anyway!

As Fergie said... Football, eh? Bloody hell!

When the weather is a bit dodgy, you travel in hope that the game is on. You can't whinge about it if it gets called off whilst you are on the way to it. If it looks like it might be off, then don't travel to it.

I remember heading to Stranraer one February by train  before mobile phones and the web were commonplace. We had to leave before any likely call off was announced and most games were already off that day due to heavy rain. We only knew the game was on when we rocked up at Stair Park. Unfortunately, we lost and the one train back was after seven, so we had a few beers before boarding and the toilet was out of order!

13 hours ago, PELE said:

When the weather is a bit dodgy, you travel in hope that the game is on. You can't whinge about it if it gets called off whilst you are on the way to it. If it looks like it might be off, then don't travel to it.

I remember heading to Stranraer one February by train  before mobile phones and the web were commonplace. We had to leave before any likely call off was announced and most games were already off that day due to heavy rain. We only knew the game was on when we rocked up at Stair Park. Unfortunately, we lost and the one train back was after seven, so we had a few beers before boarding and the toilet was out of order!

The problem yesterday was that the club weren’t answering their phone and according to social media the game was still on at 1300hrs.Any away support would have left long long before then. How could anyone know how bad the weather was at the stadium?Balmoor is built up a hill so if it’s windy anywhere else it’s likely to be much windier there (there was a house blown down in Aberdeen)

I’ve travelled to CP so many times over the years and had to leave before any pitch inspection but at least I knew what the situation was.

Not the case yesterday. If I didn’t go to games because the weather might be a bit iffy, I wouldn’t be going to many.

Not sure what time it was officially called off but it would be the refs decision so he would have had to be on site, as mentioned wind is not such a clear cut thing as snow or waterlogging of the pitch. Surprized there was no answer or message left from the club giving the situation at the time & possibly giving a time when a decision was expected. As it turned out usually leave the house around 2pm for a home game so ended up going to a Highland League game around 25 miles from Peterhead in which the conditions were horrendous the ref decided to give it a go & it turned out a decent game.   

4 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

The problem yesterday was that the club weren’t answering their phone and according to social media the game was still on at 1300hrs.Any away support would have left long long before then. How could anyone know how bad the weather was at the stadium?Balmoor is built up a hill so if it’s windy anywhere else it’s likely to be much windier there (there was a house blown down in Aberdeen)

I’ve travelled to CP so many times over the years and had to leave before any pitch inspection but at least I knew what the situation was.

Not the case yesterday. If I didn’t go to games because the weather might be a bit iffy, I wouldn’t be going to many.

Match was off at 1.15 once CFC were present and Ref arrived and had tested the conditions with the help of Greg Fleming and some footballs.  Was still on at 1.00 - pitch inspections relate to a surface that is not playable rather than wind. 

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Match was off at 1.15 once CFC were present and Ref arrived and had tested the conditions with the help of Greg Fleming and some footballs.  Was still on at 1.00 - pitch inspections relate to a surface that is not playable rather than wind. 

The point I was making is that I’d have to leave for a game on many occasions not knowing if a game was on or off. The post I responded to suggested that you shouldn’t travel if a game might be off.

Archived