Peterhead v Cowdenbeath

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, cowden boy said:

Spare a thought for the junction bar bus, half an hour away before it go called off

Could always go in past and show a bit of support to Cove Rangers their game is still on  BBC site. I will head to Formartine if it goes ahead.

43 minutes ago, Velazquez Blue said:

Should have been called off a lot earlier. No consideration given to weather warnings.

Shocking. Could have called this off yesterday. Everyone knew the forecast was terrible and the NE was to be the worst hit by the high winds. Does no one in Peterhead get up before mid day? Had tried calling the club earlier, no answer.

At least I only drove to Ellon and turned round. Certainly won’t be going to the game when it does get played.

It’s not the norm for games to be put off due to wind and certainly not on forecasts.  The pitch being playable is the referees call and wind doesn’t effect that.  Wind unless police say unsafe is usually done with both teams present and the match referee - if all parties agree ref calls off that’s what happened

It’s not the norm for games to be put off due to wind and certainly not on forecasts.  The pitch being playable is the referees call and wind doesn’t effect that.  Wind unless police say unsafe is usually done with both teams present and the match referee - if all parties agree ref calls off that’s what happened

Yes. It’s not the norm. However, the forecast for 60 mph winds is also not normal. This should have been taken into account and the game called off yesterday or at least early this morning. I’m sure the met office would have confirmed the forecast. Unusual situations require thinking out the box.

2 minutes ago, onecowden said:

Yes. It’s not the norm. However, the forecast for 60 mph winds is also not normal. This should have been taken into account and the game called off yesterday or at least early this morning. I’m sure the met office would have confirmed the forecast. Unusual situations require thinking out the box.

I don't think the club can postpone a game as it leaves it open to dubiety as to whether they might have had a few players missing and took advantage of the weather situation. The SPFL should have been well aware of the forecast and called in a referee early in the morning to assess the situation. All it needs is a bit of common sense, and I genuinely feel sorry for the Cowdenbeath fans who have made the journey in vain - safe run home.

So what windspeed forecast is the  postponement level.  Do CFC want game off with the need then to travel midweek - players needing time off?  Who gets to make that decision? I am not sure using weather forecasts to make decisions from the armchair is all that reliable a method.  

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

So what windspeed forecast is the  postponement level.  Do CFC want game off with the need then to travel midweek - players needing time off?  Who gets to make that decision? I am not sure using weather forecasts to make decisions from the armchair is all that reliable a method.  

Weather forecasts these days are pretty good and the forecast for today has been confirmed. I don’t know what windspeed is considered safe to play in or watch a game but when you’ve trouble moving about it’s not good. It was bad enough in Aberdeen and Balmoor is an exposed site. It should have been obvious that this game couldn’t go ahead.

Some consideration has to be given to fans too. Safety always comes first.

The fans are always considered - but clubs try to get games on - there is a Peterhead fan on this thread suggesting they have played in worse conditions this season already.  If we went with opinions based on forecasts being interpreted there would be a lot more games off

2 hours ago, strichener said:

What a load of bollocks.  We have played games in windier conditions already this season!

I would reckon that today it was only slightly worse than the Morton replay but without the rain .Shame for any Cowden fans that made it up ..

Possibly the Albion Rovers game which was quite bad but got played. Remember a few years ago when I had hospitality, got fed etc before the match with Annan the game started & after about 20 mins the ref abandoned it as keepers were struggling to get kicks out of the box due to the wind, worked out well for me & my guests as we got the whole lot again at no extra cost when the game was played on a Tuesday night a few weeks later. As someone who travels to most away games can understand the frustration with late call offs but going simply on a forecast is like the BBC news not very reliable. As it turned out I went over to the Formartine v Deveronvale game in the HFL & although a bit further inland the wind was wild & gusty with heavy showers at times but to their credit the players got on with it & given the conditions served up a reasonable game with Formartine winning 3-0

Why are people moaning about the late call and saying ‘the forecast was bad , it should have been called off earlier’?

If you have seen the forecast and it’s so bad and accurate, why on earth did you travel in the first place. A bit contradictory, and making you look a bit daft.

Why are people moaning about the late call and saying ‘the forecast was bad , it should have been called off earlier’?
If you have seen the forecast and it’s so bad and accurate, why on earth did you travel in the first place. A bit contradictory, and making you look a bit daft.

I was going to travel. I didn’t due to the forecast so would you agree on this occasion- not daft? I was only pointing out that a postponement was inevitable imo. Hence the moan.

29 minutes ago, onecowden said:

I was going to travel. I didn’t due to the forecast so would you agree on this occasion- not daft? I was only pointing out that a postponement was inevitable imo. Hence the moan.

You made the smart choice then dude.

its worse for the club, can’t be easy getting everyone up there for a midweek.

47 minutes ago, big al said:

Because you hope, just hope, it will be wrong. That’s what fans do,maybe we are all daft. 

Archived