Player of the season so far

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liam Kelly has definitely been the surprise package. Think there was a general feeling of dread when it was clear he was our #1, considering his spell with us in League 1 had a good few mistakes and didn't seem to be as vocal/as good at organising the defence as he does now. Definitely proven me and many others wrong and he's been fantastic and a big part of the reason we're doing so well. Not as much of a surprise but Halkett, Byrne, and Pittman have really taken the step up in their stride (so has just about everyone else right enough), with the latter pitching in with some goals.

If I had to pick I'd probably go for Pittman,  but could easily be any of the 4 mentioned.

Dre Wright obviously been excellent for us, but wouldn’t say it’s been clear cut. After a slow start, Kennedy has been a stand out since he’s moved inside in our 8 game unbeaten run, and the back five have been outstanding. I’m going for Kennedy, f**k y’all. 
Agreed. Wright has been outstanding, but we're far from being a one man team. Kerr, Tanser, Kennedy, Watt, Clark and Shaughnessy have all been consistently excellent.

Celtic - James Forrest enjoying what must be the most consistent period of his career, McGregor not only replacing Brown but actually appearing to improve on what you can get from a holding midfielder and of course Christie who's been reborn over the last 6 weeks.

Compare to last season, our mob has been rather decidedly meh, but that was always on the cards after the gutting of our midfield in the summer.

The player that's turned up and put in consistently good performances all season has been Efe Ambrose, with maybe Bogdan and Ryan Porteous being the other contenders. Everyone else has either underperformed (although they may have looked exciting for short bursts, like Mallan, or Horgan or Boyle) or they've just had large spells of not getting on the field at all.

I know that the words 'Efe' and 'consistent' are rarely seen together in the same sentence, but he's been almost moment-free the whole season, barring that own goal he scored in the Europa qualifiers (and there he made amends by scoring an actual goal goal).

1 hour ago, The_Judge said:

In the games I've watched [and ignoring injuries] Naismith, Dunne and Haring have all impressed me for Hearts.

Dunne was rock solid until he picked up the obligatory serious injury and Haring has been good - but he's out with his serious injury in January. Naismith was the key - he knitted the team together. Without him, the forwards and the midfield look like they need a formal introduction to each other

Drey Wright in front, but there's others in the running.

Zander Clark for a club record 6 consecutive top flight clean sheets, helped by an excellent defence with Joe Shaughnessy, and especially Jason Kerr a stand out. If Kerr is still eligible (is it still under 23 as the criteria?) then he is a shoe in for young player of the year.. though the spfl will probably just give it to Kieron Tierney for the fourth time in a row just cos Celtic and that.

Matt Kennedy has been excellent the past 8 games, if he keeps up this rate and his goal scoring form, then he's a definite strong contender. 

Taking club allegiances out, James Forrest, Callum McGregor and Ryan Christie look to be the front runners, which is a bit dull.  The one consolation is that they are all young Scottish players.

6 hours ago, The_Judge said:

You're at it...?  Ryan Kent has been a stand out, Andy Halliday has been more like a stand up :P

Cheap posting.  Kent had a ropey start, came on to a game and has now been injured for weeks.  Halliday is clearly a poorer player but has barely put a foot wrong.

Archived