Stenhousemuir v East Fife

2 minutes ago, smuggfifer said:

Sorry Angus, but KK simply pointing out what everyone else is thinking, probably including the lad himself. He an honest player and pretty sure he wouldn't be overjoyed with his performance Don't get all glassy eyed with the result. Similar to the Montrose away game at the start of the run. Poor finishing and luck brought the result, as much as well controlled first half. But hey, it's a welcome victory and 3 pts on the board. Happy Saturday folks!

I was disappointed to hear someone getting abuse from so-called supporters. Let's leave it at that...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

I was disappointed to hear someone getting abuse from so-called supporters. Let's leave it at that...

So called supporters ??? Are they the people that travel home and away in all weather's  or are there some other kind

7 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

I was at the game. Cannot see the point in singling out one individual for negative criticism after a game grinding out a crucial win.  Bridey played his part in that backs to the wall second-half display...

Have to disagree with you it should not have been a backs to the wall second half display .I think the position he occupied was completely ineffective.Having two players upfront would be more beneficial  but that's only my opinion.

Listen, what I am trying to say is that is unhelpful to get on an individual player's back if you are of the opinion that he is having a bad game. You may agree or disagree about someone being selected to play.

I remember an interview with Carlo Crolla, a journeyman player during a time when we were struggling in the lower reaches of the bottom division. Carlo was more often than not a target of the boo-boys, but when asked what kept him going he replied that there were a couple of supporters standing down the bottom of the terracing at Bayview, within earshot, who would offer him encouragement. 

That interview had a big impact on me as a supporter. I thought, good on these guys, your team is struggling, there's a guy out there wearing the black and gold who is struggling but you are prepared to provide him with some encouragement...  

12 minutes ago, 7 Eleven said:

Maybe you need to consider why Young only played one up front. Stenny play 4-2-3-1, so if you go 4-4-2 they have an extra man in midfield. Who was the most dangerous player on the park? IMO it was Paton. Where was he playing? At the top of that middle three. Would a pair of Davidson-Agnew or any other combination have coped 2v3? I very much doubt it. The issue wasn’t playing with one up front. The issue was with the continuous hoofed clearances into the channels for Smith/Dowds to chace down. The defenders need to show much more composure when they win the ball back near their own goal. It is literally what the midfield is there for.

Booing a team when your opposition are 1-0 and passing the ball between their back four 30 yards from their own goal is just nuts too. They were wanting East Fife to push out so they could fire the ball in behind the defence. Anyone fancy Docherty’s chances in a foot race?

The Dowds for Smith substitution was absolutely spot on and probably perfectly timed too. Smith did what he had to do on his own and Dowds came on and gave Neill a torrid time.

There is no disputing that East Fife were really poor in the second half, but they will play much better this season and lose. It was 3 points, a clean sheet, away from home in very difficult conditions against a team who are improving under the new manager. 

Listen, what I am trying to say is that is unhelpful to get on an individual player's back if you are of the opinion that he is having a bad game. You may agree or disagree about someone being selected to play.
I remember an interview with Carlo Crolla, a journeyman player during a time when we were struggling in the lower reaches of the bottom division. Carlo was more often than not a target of the boo-boys, but when asked what kept him going he replied that there were a couple of supporters standing down the bottom of the terracing at Bayview, within earshot, who would offer him encouragement. 
That interview had a big impact on me as a supporter. I thought, good on these guys, your team is struggling, there's a guy out there wearing the black and gold who is struggling but you are prepared to provide him with some encouragement...  

I’d never boo an east fife player but when a player isn’t good enough he isn’t good enough and I don’t think and it doesn’t look like he’s cut out for this level of football unfortunately.

Not for the first time and I fear not for the last, another hard luck story, but unless we can start hitting the back of the net we will finish  bottom. We had so many chances in that second half it isn't funny. To fail to even take one of them was criminal.

The guy with the blue jacket and the yellow hat was an embarrassment to himself. I think he nearly shat himself when McBride set up Dowds inside the box only for the keeper to save. 

I am the guy you are referring to and ive followed east fife for over 50 years home and away, and do i f**k feel embarrassed, the c**t that should be embarrassed is Mcbride, anybody can have a bad game but the lack if effort in the last 2 weeks and his inability to cross a ball in the second half, for a professional football player, that's embarrassing, get him out of the team as its like playing with 10 men, as for setting up Dowds, even if he meant it and i honestly doubr that its a poor return for being on the pitch for 90 minutes

13 minutes ago, Pat 1958 said:

I am the guy you are referring to and ive followed east fife for over 50 years home and away, and do i f**k feel embarrassed, the c**t that should be embarrassed is Mcbride, anybody can have a bad game but the lack if effort in the last 2 weeks and his inability to cross a ball in the second half, for a professional football player, that's embarrassing, get him out of the team as its like playing with 10 men, as for setting up Dowds, even if he meant it and i honestly doubr that its a poor return for being on the pitch for 90 minutes

I like Pat. Says it as it is. :)

2 hours ago, 7 Eleven said:

Maybe you need to consider why Young only played one up front. Stenny play 4-2-3-1, so if you go 4-4-2 they have an extra man in midfield. Who was the most dangerous player on the park? IMO it was Paton. Where was he playing? At the top of that middle three. Would a pair of Davidson-Agnew or any other combination have coped 2v3? I very much doubt it. The issue wasn’t playing with one up front. The issue was with the continuous hoofed clearances into the channels for Smith/Dowds to chase down. The defenders need to show much more composure when they win the ball back near their own goal. It is literally what the midfield is there for.

Booing a team when your opposition are 1-0 and passing the ball between their back four 30 yards from their own goal is just nuts too. They were wanting East Fife to push out so they could fire the ball in behind the defence. Anyone fancy Docherty’s chances in a foot race?

The Dowds for Smith substitution was absolutely spot on and probably perfectly timed too. Smith did what he had to do on his own and Dowds came on and gave Neill a torrid time.

There is no disputing that East Fife were really poor in the second half, but they will play much better this season and lose. It was 3 points, a clean sheet, away from home in very difficult conditions against a team who are improving under the new manager. 

Can I ask what system Did Stranraer play in the previous game?

6 minutes ago, 7 Eleven said:

You can ask, but I'm not sure what relevance it has to this game?

The relevance being Kevin Smith being up front on his own .Were Stranraer playing a 4-2-3-1 .Are we now playing one up front in all games.?

10 hours ago, beaver1 said:

Not for the first time and I fear not for the last, another hard luck story, but unless we can start hitting the back of the net we will finish  bottom. We had so many chances in that second half it isn't funny. To fail to even take one of them was criminal.

That sums it up - it was a horrid day for playing and watching football yesterday but at some point we must put our chances away.  Will be interesting to see what happen in the next few weeks as I am sure Sean Dickson's contract is up and I think Paton was only on loan until January.  Hopefully we can retain the two of them.

Apologies ahead of our highlights package going on line later. There will be no gopro angles this week unfortunately. I set them up a wee bit too early I think & they wouldn't switch on at kick off time. Think despite them being in waterproof casings it was just too cold for them to operate! No lasting damage by the looks of it as they are working now so hopefully it will be back to normal service next week.

Great  3 points in horrendous conditions. IMO games should just be called off when its as bad as yesterday, no fun for anyone but great credit to both sets of players for just getting on with it.

Just watched the majority of the game back & to be honest some of the criticism on here is totally unwarranted. What I have just watched is 13 East Fife players (Watty's 22 second appearance doesn't count!) giving their all in horrendous conditions. For some it just didn't come off for them but others were outstanding (Docherty & Long in particular).  Yes it wasn't pretty & we didn't do enough in the final third with the wind in the first half IMO but I really don't think some folk realise just what it is like to play into driving rain like that. Every time you lift your head it is difficult to see never mind anything else! Stenny were in the EF half a total of 7 minutes in the first 45 & created nothing,  we had 5 good chances in the second & scored from one of them. It was no surprise that we had our best spell in the second half after the rain stopped. The players would actually have been able to look up,  see where others were & at least try to pick a pass!

Was I happy with the overall standard of our play, no but give me an East Fife team battling to get 3 points & I'll take it every time.

For those wondering the 5 chances were Dowds shot blocked by Smith, Dunsmore's cut back just in front of Dowds, Dowds goal, Dowds shot after the goal & Dunsmore's side foot effort from the edge of the box. Actually big Anton had quite a say in things in the end! Brilliant to see all 10 outfield players celebrate the second goal, think Brett would have been there too but maybe a lesson learned me thinks!

28 minutes ago, LiamA said:

Just watched the majority of the game back & to be honest some of the criticism on here is totally unwarranted. What I have just watched is 13 East Fife players (Watty's 22 second appearance doesn't count!) giving their all in horrendous conditions. For some it just didn't come off for them but others were outstanding (Docherty & Long in particular).  Yes it wasn't pretty & we didn't do enough in the final third with the wind in the first half IMO but I really don't think some folk realise just what it is like to play into driving rain like that. Every time you lift your head it is difficult to see never mind anything else! Stenny were in the EF half a total of 7 minutes in the first 45 & created nothing,  we had 5 good chances in the second & scored from one of them. It was no surprise that we had our best spell in the second half after the rain stopped. The players would actually have been able to look up,  see where others were & at least try to pick a pass!

Was I happy with the overall standard of our play, no but give me an East Fife team battling to get 3 points & I'll take it every time.

For those wondering the 5 chances were Dowds shot blocked by Smith, Dunsmore's cut back just in front of Dowds, Dowds goal, Dowds shot after the goal & Dunsmore's side foot effort from the edge of the box. Actually big Anton had quite a say in things in the end! Brilliant to see all 10 outfield players celebrate the second goal, think Brett would have been there too but maybe a lesson learned me thinks!

Is it unwarranted  criticism because some supporters don't buy your viewpoint? I certainly thought both teams put on a great show considering conditions. My personal concern is I thought we had better players on the bench than Scott McBride  and leaving them there made a difficult task even harder. There is nothing personal in my opinion on him ,  Just think  Watt Linton or Thomson offer more. However, 3 points so onwards and upwards 

That some pretty emotive language there.  If he wasn’t trying to pass to Dowds what are you suggesting that he was trying to do? 

The way he has been playing it was probably a shot because if it was a pass it was the first tome he found a team mate in the whole game, of hes only on the park to shout and wave his arms about hes world class at that, lets be honest here he's not only not good enough for a start in the team but he shouldn't even be in the squad, its only his association with the manager and the lack of other bodies to sign that got him a contract.

Archived