Stenhousemuir v East Fife

I was disappointed to hear someone getting abuse from so-called supporters. Let's leave it at that...

Haud on, just seen this, are you calling me a "so-called supporter" Angus???

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly it was a great 3 points in horrendous conditions and the players deserve great credit for digging in, especially in the second half and bringing out the result. Yes some players played better than others and that can be said after every game. That’s how there are Man of the Match awards ! I’m not one for shouting individual criticism at players as I agree that can have a negative effect on the players performance. Fans will always like players who can do something special after having done nothing for 20 minutes or players who show a real commitment to the cause even if their ability is limited. I’m sure we can all name a number of such players who have played in the black and gold over the years. Some fans are having a go at Scott McBride as they see him as being neither of these type of players. Having watched the highlights there are a number of occasions where he is not tracking the runner and even in the commentary Angus states that McBride needs to be stronger in the challenge ! Sometimes the black and gold tinted spectacles need to be taken off so that an objective view can be seen clearly. Fans will make their opinions known in different ways and I’m sure most of the older players will be able to shrug it off and some will use it as motivation. The game is all about opinions and I don’t think calling those vociferous fans as ‘so-called supporters’ is particularly helpful just as shouting personal abuse isn’t. We all want the same thing - a successful East Fife team on the park and we will all have our views of the best 11 we can put on the park. No doubt we will all have differing opinions about substitutions the Manager makes and the team he picks. Most fans want a combination of the aforementioned types of players - anything less will lead to criticism.

3 points, a clean sheet and back on the winning trail is all that matters. I would rather we ground out 3 points with a passenger or two than not getting the three points.
The players have to be commended for playing in that weather and coming out with 3 points cause it looked absolutely awful to try and play football in.

Onto the Forfar game and lets hope that we can start pulling a gap away from below as it’s still very tight! That’s all that matters

On 12/16/2018 at 12:33, LiamA said:

Just watched the majority of the game back & to be honest some of the criticism on here is totally unwarranted. What I have just watched is 13 East Fife players (Watty's 22 second appearance doesn't count!) giving their all in horrendous conditions. For some it just didn't come off for them but others were outstanding (Docherty & Long in particular).  Yes it wasn't pretty & we didn't do enough in the final third with the wind in the first half IMO but I really don't think some folk realise just what it is like to play into driving rain like that. Every time you lift your head it is difficult to see never mind anything else! Stenny were in the EF half a total of 7 minutes in the first 45 & created nothing,  we had 5 good chances in the second & scored from one of them. It was no surprise that we had our best spell in the second half after the rain stopped. The players would actually have been able to look up,  see where others were & at least try to pick a pass!

Was I happy with the overall standard of our play, no but give me an East Fife team battling to get 3 points & I'll take it every time.

For those wondering the 5 chances were Dowds shot blocked by Smith, Dunsmore's cut back just in front of Dowds, Dowds goal, Dowds shot after the goal & Dunsmore's side foot effort from the edge of the box. Actually big Anton had quite a say in things in the end! Brilliant to see all 10 outfield players celebrate the second goal, think Brett would have been there too but maybe a lesson learned me thinks!

3 points and a clean sheet is the main thing to take out of Saturdays game as a few others have said. However Docherty outstanding? God knows what performance you were watching LiamA! Before them two names i would have put Bell, Watson and Dunlop to name a few.... 

Bells energy is outstanding and a breathe of fresh air- great to see him get a new contract, Watson was excellent- made one of the best challenges I have seen in the second half (shown in highlights) which for some reason a goal kick was given, and Dunlop was solid in the centre making up for Docherty's poor positional sense.

Heres hoping for another 3 points before Christmas!

SS 

Archived