Scottish Budget 2019

Can’t believe the vapid grandstanding on here about how the employers will suck up the tax at no cost to the employees.

“Sorry folks, we’ve been hit with an extra £80,000 cost to this centre, making us less competitive than your colleagues in Milton Keynes and directly affecting profitability. See this years pay review and bonus round? Best just forget it”.

38 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The idea that public transport is a viable option to everyone travelling to and from work is beyond laughable.

The fact that it's usually cheaper to drive alone in a car than using public transport is way beyond laughable.

Walking or cycling can often be an alternative.

Edited by welshbairn

Couple of quid a day would cover it, same as the tourist tax probably and a lot cheaper than most car parks. If people who get the bus aren't subsidised, why polluters in their own cars?

Bus companies are subsidised to the tune of hundreds of millions, as are trains. Nobody subsidises motorists for insurance/tax/petrol/outlay/MOTs/repairs and so on. Indeed it’s worth billions in income to the government.

There are a few arguments in favour of the tax (although once more I’ll stress, only Glasgow and Edinburgh should even look twice at it) but I’m not sure that’s one of them.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The fact that it's usually cheaper to drive alone in a car than using public transport is way beyond laughable.

Walking or cycling can often be an alternative.

When you post a rebuttal to a post you should make it relevant to the content of that post.

The idea that public transport is a viable option to everyone travelling to and from work is beyond laughable.

I have to be in work at 0530hrs on early shift, finish at 0200hrs on late shifts and dont live near public transport links to my office, work public holidays etc, I have absolutely no chance of any alternative way of getting to work. Simply need to drive. I can be moved office with minimal notice and across council areas. Its just a shite piece of legislation and not surprised to see that wee arsehole Greer who has no concept of the real world championing it.

23 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I have to be in work at 0530hrs on early shift, finish at 0200hrs on late shifts and dont live near public transport links to my office, work public holidays etc, I have absolutely no chance of any alternative way of getting to work. Simply need to drive. I can be moved office with minimal notice and across council areas. Its just a shite piece of legislation and not surprised to see that wee arsehole Greer who has no concept of the real world championing it.

I am actually sympathetic to the Greens and what they are trying to achieve however this, as you say, takes no account of ‘real world’ practicalities.

5 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Cheers.

Kelly is fucking useless.  He reminds me of the West Coast dinosaurs that were around 25+ years ago when I was involved.

Its sad that guys like this are still selected by the Labour Party.

I get a bus from Cumbernauld to Glasgow at around 8am and its almost full. I've also got the one before and the one after - also nearly full. They run 4 every hour. How many extra buses would they have to run if even 10% of car users going to Glasgow gave up their cars and would they be willing or able to do this. A bus every 10 mins would only be another 2 buses per hour with a capacity of around 80 on each.