Scottish Budget 2019

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I know a few folk who send their kids to private school but their combined income is more like £100k. I guess you technically could send one kid to private school on £43k but they'd just get ripped for being poor so not sure it's good parenting or economical sense tbh.

Kids that get sent on a scholarship seem to do ok. I think you have to take into account what some people will do in order for their kids to get ahead. My best mate growing up lived in a council house in Downfield and went to Dundee High.

I see Liz Truss is getting roasted on Twitter for sticking her nose (for no apparent reason) into the SNP tax "debate".

It seems this all boils down to Tories being summarily unable to process that not everyone is as absolutely fucking vile as they are.

14 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

I see Liz Truss is getting roasted on Twitter for sticking her nose (for no apparent reason) into the SNP tax "debate".

It seems this all boils down to Tories being summarily unable to process that not everyone is as absolutely fucking vile as they are.

She is a genuine moron

£43k is not a “huge” salary but it will seem “huge” if you’re earning £23k or less.  I’m quite happy with the higher tax differential in Scotland.  I’d also like to see Holyrood in charge of other areas of taxation such as corporation taxes where the recent reductions (from which I benefit) are wholly unjustified.    

This. 

I've no issue with paying a little more because I happen to have worked hard to get the salary I get - it's a progressive tax system - and the amount of extra tax at that level is not something that I'm seriously going to miss. 

The extremes in this debate are just arseholes.

This isn't going to be a hit on the wallet of those sorts of earners.

The other side of the debate need to stop making this a jealousy game between the poorest and those middle earners who are reasonably well off - that's the sort of shit the Tories pull. They want a divide and rule because these higher taxes are not meant to target middle earners but the really high earners - getting the middle earners backs up with the sort of bullshit rhetoric I've read here is not the way to win the argument for higher taxes.

It would be remiss of me to remind everyone at this stage that Murdo Fraser will be pocketing over £62000 next year.

He's been an MSP since 2001 and has pocketed close to a million quid of public money despite the fact he's never won an election or taken any decision in government.

If that c**t says a fucking word about "middle class" being done over he can do one.

I'm always amused by the line that 'entrepreneurs and wealth creators' will flee down South.

Aye, right. You're such a greedy, grubbing b*****d that you would uproot your family and put £300k on your mortgage loan to validate a sound bite from the likes of Murdo Fraser.
You could rent a room not in Scotland, change your address to there, leave the family in Scotland and spend time between both locations. Entirely legal based on the advice from government determining where you pay tax. The other win which is not SNP related is some would get their child benefit back. Obviously this wont work if you work in an office but if you work from home or on different customers sites then the math can make sense.

You could rent a room not in Scotland, change your address to there, leave the family in Scotland and spend time between both locations. Entirely legal based on the advice from government determining where you pay tax. The other win which is not SNP related is some would get their child benefit back. Obviously this wont work if you work in an office but if you work from home or on different customers sites then the math can make sense.
Indeed, if you are a greedy, grubbing b*****d.

Indeed, if you are a greedy, grubbing b*****d.
Don't get me wrong I'll pay a bit more whilst the benefits remain such as free further education based on ability to learn not ability to pay exist. I dont have any children likely to be at Uni for 7 years so a lot can change but I'm more than happy to contribute to that but if the gap keeps widening then people will start to move away and it takes a lot of lower paid people to replace the tax paid by a person earning 100k (I get nothing like that for the avoidance of any doubt).

Don't get me wrong I'll pay a bit more whilst the benefits remain such as free further education based on ability to learn not ability to pay exist. I dont have any children likely to be at Uni for 7 years so a lot can change but I'm more than happy to contribute to that but if the gap keeps widening then people will start to move away and it takes a lot of lower paid people to replace the tax paid by a person earning 100k (I get nothing like that for the avoidance of any doubt).
IMO the problem does not lie with the current taxation policy of the Scottish Government, but with the years of regarding taxation as an abhorrence, when in reality a progressive system of taxation is the hallmark of a civilised society.

However, thanks to organisations like the Taxpayers Alliance the dice is now firmly loaded in favour of those who are already on the comfortable end of the income spectrum, and I await with the interest the first condemnation of the disgraceful levels of tax avoidance in the UK by Murdo Fraser or any other right-wing politician.

If the modest realignments by the SG impel people to change their domicile then I would encourage them to bugger off for good, as they are not the kind of folk likely to care much for the commonweal.

Aye im sure that after travel food and lodging costs it would all be worth it [emoji23]

On 13/12/2018 at 11:03, Scary Bear said:

If the money was piling up in my bank account i’d agree that I was “rich”, but it’s not. I have two cars, both of which are 10+ years old. I have 3 kids to care for. I take 1 holiday a year for 1 week in a cottage somewhere in the U.K. I am not rolling in cash. That’s a couple on combined salary of £60k before tax. 

I suppose it depends on your definition of rich.

That would be my definition of rich right there. sob.png