Scottish Budget 2019

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

This is bonkers.  No one on an income of £43K sends their weans to fee-paying schools without help.  Can we just draw a line under this?

I know people who earn less than half that and have a child in private schooling.

Edited by BawWatchin

£43k is not a “huge” salary but it will seem “huge” if you’re earning £23k or less.  I’m quite happy with the higher tax differential in Scotland.  I’d also like to see Holyrood in charge of other areas of taxation such as corporation taxes where the recent reductions (from which I benefit) are wholly unjustified.

I agree with you but that was not the point being made.

Regarding the corporation tax reduction, again i agree but, the issue with that is, if there is also a huge difference there then companies may see england as a more lucrative option and thus Scotland would lose out.

12 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I agree with you but that was not the point being made.

Regarding the corporation tax reduction, again i agree but, the issue with that is, if there is also a huge difference there then companies may see england as a more lucrative option and thus Scotland would lose out.

Most companies are small businesses, often in the service sector or tied in to a their locality in some other way.  Such businesses could not just move.

There is no rational and no need for the latest corporation tax reductions.

7 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

I know people who earn less than half that and have a child in private schooling.

I’m calling shite here. Unless they have ‘rich’ grandparents or some other means of paying the fees. Even with no mortgage it would be very difficult to live on what’s left after paying the fees. 

£43k seems to be where the magic happens. I wish I felt that buzz of being rich. In reality, just like everyone else, my standard of living has been on a downward spiral since about 2010/2011 when the austerity years started kicking in. No wage rises until this year, actually having to pay a few hundred for a public sector pension, receipts for all T&S (no pockling opportunities). It’s been a while since I looked at the real terms decline in my take home salary but it was around 15% last I looked.  It’s good that I can reinvest some of the 2% wage rise I got this year back into the system. My wife is a part-time lecturer at a college and earns a whopping £19k. While I get that everyone is in the same boat and those on less money are really struggling, it worries me that the government, or at least some tubes on here, see me as rich.

In general I am less than enamoured with the SNP (and the tubes on here). They have been treading water since 2014. I see first hand just how shite Scottish Goverment Procurement framework contracts are, then there’s Police Scotland and Scotrail. Not enough for me to bin the SNP at the next election, but that’s mainly because I want to support independence and they and the Greens are on that ticket. Also, the others, in Holyrood terms, haven’t come up with anything of interest to sway me.

Anyway, as that’s over £60k I am now away to see about putting my 3 kids into private education. I hope the private schools can cope with the influx.

Most companies are small businesses, often in the service sector or tied in to a their locality in some other way.  Such businesses could not just move.
There is no rational and no need for the latest corporation tax reductions.

Correct. However the government will invariably get income (and boost the economy) elsewhere as the owners will either invest the savings or pay themselves/employees more which produces more PAYE etc and it rolls on from there.

17 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Correct. However the government will invariably get income (and boost the economy) elsewhere as the owners will either invest the savings or pay themselves/employees more which produces more PAYE etc and it rolls on from there.

Or buy more Mercs and have more holidays abroad.  That’s just as likely.

It is an observable phenomenon that people who are objectively rich tend not to view themselves as being rich. For one thing you tend to work with and associate with other rich people. Even people pushing into the additional rate will tend to describe themselves as “neither rich nor poor” because of the runaway wealth of those above. 

A lot will depend upon your outgoings and your priorities. For some reason paying circa £12k per annum on school (unless you’re wanting to send your kids to Fettes or Gordonstoun where it’s more like £25k) for little appreciable benefit in a lot of cases has become the p&b barometer of what makes you rich. In any event, a lot of people who do not describe themselves as rich could probably afford it if they gave up other stuff but they choose not to. White people problems thread for this pish.

Prospect Union’s take:

Prospect national secretary, Richard Hardy said: "Right up until today, we believed that Ministers were serious in the commitments they have given to restore public sector pay.

"Far from restoring our members' pay, the approach, when RPI is at 3.3%, sees a further erosion of their living standards. This is contrary to what Mr Mackay and his colleagues told us was their intention.

"Far from being 'progressive' as stated in the public sector pay policy, splitting pay awards in this way is simply robbing one set of workers to pay another.

"Irrespective of salary, standards of living for all workers are eroded when their baseline award does not keep pace with inflation."

Hardy said that Prospect welcomed the introduction of a substantial underpin to address low pay and believes that this is the correct way to address low pay issues rather than tinkering with pay systems.

"Setting an arbitrary figure and paying workers above that salary less money is not progressive," added Hardy. "It's actually very insulting to our members who are working hard to deliver the Government's agenda in many key areas.

"The way to address income inequality is through taxation. We will be calling for an urgent meeting with Mr Mackay, and with opposition parties to spell out why the Government's approach is mistaken," he concluded.

1 hour ago, BawWatchin said:

Nobody who earns their money (regardless of how much) see themselves as rich.

Whether it's 20k a year, 40k a year, 100k a year..... etc. People always look towards those who they percieve to have more.

If the money was piling up in my bank account i’d agree that I was “rich”, but it’s not. I have two cars, both of which are 10+ years old. I have 3 kids to care for. I take 1 holiday a year for 1 week in a cottage somewhere in the U.K. I am not rolling in cash. That’s a couple on combined salary of £60k before tax. 

I suppose it depends on your definition of rich.

Nicola doing her Goldilocks impression now on top rate tax.

Tells Carlaw that the Tories are wrong to want cuts for higher earners. Tells Leonard that raising tax on higher earners isn't possible.

Apparenltly the SNP budget has set top rate tax at a magical, non political, perfect level calculated by the Scottish Fiscal Commission and it's out her hands.....