Scottish Budget 2019

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 07:47, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Budget in a couple of days. No overall majority for the SNP so reliant on other party support which won't come from Labour or Conservative and it looks like the Liberal Democrats aren't interested unless independence is taken off the table. So looks like the SNP will have to do whatever the Green Party want.

I don't think we will see any changes to tax rates this year but dont expect the changes in thresholds to keep up with Westminster.

More money for schools, police, NHS will be announced but I expect services will continue to decline.

Also expect another year of underspending far in excess of any 'cuts' in monies received from the UK treasury.

More pointless 'guarantees' enshrined in law no doubt as well.IMG_20181209_161634.jpg

Honestly. Who really cares?

4 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I never understand the whole don't tax-the-rich-or-they'll-leave thing.

It always gets said by folk who equate wealth with working hard so why don't we just tell those rich people to work harder to offset the increased tax?

People earning £43k aren’t rich. 

5 minutes ago, blanco said:

The average salary in Scotland is just over £23k so they are in fact rich.  Just because they choose to send their sprogs to a private school or go skiing in the Alps in February doesn't change that objective fact. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

The average salary in Scotland is just over £23k so they are in fact rich.  Just because they choose to send their sprogs to a private school or go skiing in the Alps in February doesn't change that objective fact. 

People who are on £43k can't afford to send their kids to private school or go skiing

5 minutes ago, Binos said:

People who are on £43k can't afford to send their kids to private school or go skiing

How much do you think skiing costs? I don't earn £43k, but I'm pretty sure I could afford to go to the Alps once or twice a year if that sort of thing interested me.

I would not say it's rich but neither is it scraping things together to make ends meet. The extra tax (which is not a lot at that level) is justified in terms of a progressive tax system.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

How much do you think skiing costs? I don't earn £43k, but I'm pretty sure I could afford to go to the Alps once or twice a year if that sort of thing interested me.

You could fucking live half the year in the Alps on that and Dundee High's £13,000 a year.  The guy's an indoctrinated idiot.

It's not "rich" but it's certainly well off. I can support me, my long term ill partner and all the bills including running a car, with a couple of holidays a year on less than that. The only folk struggling to get by on £43K will be moronic offshore workers with a penchant for massive houses they can't afford and ching.

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I would not say it's rich but neither is it scraping things together to make ends meet. The extra tax (which is not a lot at that level) is justified in terms of a progressive tax system.

It's nearly twice the average salary in one of the richest societies in the world. That is absolutely within any credible definition of 'rich'. 

By means of comparison, how many people would claim that an average salary of £12,000 is not in fact 'poor' in today's society? That is roughly the equivalent divergence from the average salary as this supposedly 'not rich' figure in the £40ks; government statistics generally view relative poverty as being anything beneath £15k a year. 

It's the top 8% in Scotland.

Do you have a link to that? I don’t disbelieve you, I just find it very surprising.

After tax, NI and pension you’re probably talking around £2.5k a month on £43k. Enough to be comfortable for the most part unless you live in Edinburgh (where you’d assume a good chunk of the 8% work).

Objectively of course it’s rich, you could live in a modest house in an inexpensive area and be loaded. Given people tend to spend based on their income though, it’s not a huge surprise that uproar happens - it’s not solely greed.