Queens v Dunfermline

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I actually said an early postponement- it is you that is saying a day in advance not me.

My definition of early is a postponement before fans have set off so I would sincerely hope that if the forecast is the same as it is now on Sat morning a decision would be taken by say 10.00am.If the wind is blowing at 50 mph on Sat morning with snow also threatening - what is your definition of “giving the game every chance”?

Yeah sorry, it was another poster further up who said it should be called off today.

Agree that an early inspection on the day is best for a game like this when a team has to travel a fair distance. For closer games I'd argue that they should leave it until 14.00.

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Would anyone put Higgy back into the team? I think I'd have him on the bench at most.

Feels good to just talk team news ngl.

The team probably needs changed again as they were pish last week. I'd have him back in.

45 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I'd be tempted to go back to 352 for this if Lewis Martin is fit. Our wide players seemed to have been ineffectual so maybe we can utilize Longridge's early form.

Martin has been fit for weeks I think as he's been on the bench for a few games now.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Yeah sorry, it was another poster further up who said it should be called off today.

Agree that an early inspection on the day is best for a game like this when a team has to travel a fair distance. For closer games I'd argue that they should leave it until 14.00.

The problem with the "early inspection is best" approach in scenarios like this is that right now it's not really forecast to be a potential issue until after lunch on Saturday, and even then not necessarily that big a deal. Unless we're at the stage of the authorities issuing Amber Alerts to avoid travelling, there's no guarantee at all that there will be any issue in Dumfries. There was a weekend last winter when we were predicted for blizzards in Dumfries and saw a light snow shower while Moffat was a foot deep in the stuff!

It's very likely the playing surface itself will be fine, there's no significant frost forecast. The BBC says we'll have some snow in the afternoon and winds of circa 50mph. Accuweather, which generally I find more accurate for Palmerston, suggests we may see a light snow shower at some point (0.3cm) and winds will average 20 odd mph though there may be some gusts up to 50mph.  If Accuweather is right there should be no great issue with the game. There isn't enough certainty to be calling the game off especially early.

We can get the referee in early (and will if it becomes clear there's an issue) but ultimately if it's not that windy at lunchtime and it hasn't started snowing (or is snowing lightly and not lying) he can't really call it off. Dumfries is absolutely perfect for football right now. It's a wee bit chilly out but it's dry, crisp and clear.

50 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The problem with the "early inspection is best" approach in scenarios like this is that right now it's not really forecast to be a potential issue until after lunch on Saturday, and even then not necessarily that big a deal. Unless we're at the stage of the authorities issuing Amber Alerts to avoid travelling, there's no guarantee at all that there will be any issue in Dumfries. There was a weekend last winter when we were predicted for blizzards in Dumfries and saw a light snow shower while Moffat was a foot deep in the stuff!

It's very likely the playing surface itself will be fine, there's no significant frost forecast. The BBC says we'll have some snow in the afternoon and winds of circa 50mph. Accuweather, which generally I find more accurate for Palmerston, suggests we may see a light snow shower at some point (0.3cm) and winds will average 20 odd mph though there may be some gusts up to 50mph.  If Accuweather is right there should be no great issue with the game. There isn't enough certainty to be calling the game off especially early.

We can get the referee in early (and will if it becomes clear there's an issue) but ultimately if it's not that windy at lunchtime and it hasn't started snowing (or is snowing lightly and not lying) he can't really call it off. Dumfries is absolutely perfect for football right now. It's a wee bit chilly out but it's dry, crisp and clear.

When there are strong winds, the BBC changes the hourly forecast to show the gusts rather than the average speed. The difference is that gusts are shown in black circles whereas average speeds are shown in white ones. Accuweather showing average speeds of 20 odd and gusts of 50mph is the same as the BBC. 

The Ayr v ICT game was called off when the gusts were 50mph. The average wind speed at the time was in the 20s.

2 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

Google Maps saying 2 hour drive from fife, is that accurate?

2 hours from the Dunfermline area sounds ok,   maybe even a bit too much, depending on the traffic and route you take obvs. Going up to Dunfermline by bus (via Kincardine Br)  usually takes 2.25 to 2.5 hours. Not really much difference travelling South over the new Forth Crossing I would say. 

Queens.       Same team as last week ?

if Harkins fit I think he will be back in. Usually at the expense of Norman.

Stirling has to be in. Wouldn’t play Doyle RM, but would play him along the back line. If Harkins is fit he comes in for Frizzell for me. Any 1 of Mercer, Fordyce or Semple could realistically drop out, however I would assume it would be Semple due to what Naysmith has previously done.

4-3-3 for me; Martin, Mercer, Doyle, Fordyce, Marshall; Harkins, Norman, Jacobs; Todd, Dykes, Stirling

50 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Stirling has to be in. Wouldn’t play Doyle RM, but would play him along the back line. If Harkins is fit he comes in for Frizzell for me. Any 1 of Mercer, Fordyce or Semple could realistically drop out, however I would assume it would be Semple due to what Naysmith has previously done.

4-3-3 for me; Martin, Mercer, Doyle, Fordyce, Marshall; Harkins, Norman, Jacobs; Todd, Dykes, Stirling

If Harkins is fit he has always come back at the expense of Norman.

I thought Doyle was excellent last week and will stay where he is.

Stirling for Frizzel. 

4 1 4 1 for me ........ Martin.        Mercer, Fordyce, Semple, Marshall.      Jacobs.         Harkins, Doyle,Todd, Stirling.          Dykes

When there are strong winds, the BBC changes the hourly forecast to show the gusts rather than the average speed. The difference is that gusts are shown in black circles whereas average speeds are shown in white ones. Accuweather showing average speeds of 20 odd and gusts of 50mph is the same as the BBC. 
The Ayr v ICT game was called off when the gusts were 50mph. The average wind speed at the time was in the 20s.

While the home club can never fully eradicate the huge problem of changing weather conditions close to kick off .........what happened recently at Ayr was scandalous. Storm conditions throughout Scotland consistently reported.Winds gusting to 50mph is an absolute NO NO for football no matter how dry the weather is etc. When you add in the distance that Caley had to travel -those responsible should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Invariably the home team want the game on almost at any cost and don’t really care one iota about supporters travelling from distance.

I do have sympathy in circumstances where there has been an unexpected deterioration in conditions close to kick off or after the game has started. Storm conditions are invariably accurately forecast and tomorrow is a situation where a sensible decision needs to be made early based on a strong balance of probability.

Wind is a factor that is largely ignored until the last minute and this is unacceptable - the authorities need to introduce a sensible maximum wind speed and work accordingly.

I wish everyone would stop being so negative and talking up the weather, and talk about our own strengths instead.

If we set up to have a go at the snow I can only see one winner. No doubt Naysmith will set us up in his usual negative manner though and it’ll be a comfortable victory for the snow.

Archived