The Pie & Bovril Dead Pool 2019

Week 41 update

Nobody scores any points this week, so let's have a look at one random death through the week. 

FirstSpaceWalk.png

This is a picture of the first man to be outside in space. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/oct/11/alexei-leonov-space-walk-human-death-cosmonaut-russia

This happened 54 years ago. When you consider how dangerous this still is today, the amount of resources and precautions necessary, the technology available for it, I think it's remarkable that any kind of space exploration could have happened so long ago. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the equipment involved, but there are a few posters participating in the Dead Pool this year who would have been around in the 60s. Would you have gone into space with the technology available at the time? Would you have trusted whatever you were wearing to keep you alive in an airless environment, knowing if anything goes wrong there would be no-one who really knew what to do?

Also, could you have done this if you lived in a country with the social inequality and deprivation of the Soviet Union? According to Wikipedia:

Leonov was born in Listvyanka, West Siberian Krai, Russian SFSR. In 1936, his father Arkhip was arrested and declared an "enemy of the people". Leonov wrote in his autobiography: "He was not alone: many were being arrested. It was part of a conscientious drive by the authorities to eradicate anyone who showed too much independence or strength of character. These were the years of Stalin's purges. Many disappeared into remote gulags and were never seen again."

I suppose the question here is, if that had happened to your family, would you still want to pursue something which was ostensibly used as a political tool by the state which destroyed your family? I somehow doubt Leonov was the only person to experience this sort of internal conflict. Nobody would have been able to do anything about it at the time though.

So, no scores this week, but time (hopefully) for some reflection on the possibility of human achievement. Here are some pictures too: https://www.theguardian.com/science/gallery/2015/may/09/first-space-walk-alexei-leonov-in-pictures

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

19 hours ago, The DA said:

Stephen Moore - Marvin the Paranoid Android, Adrian Mole's dad, Jack in The Rock Follies.

Can't find an obituary for him but it looks like it was last Friday and wiki's been updated.

Never knew he was Mark Moore from S'Expresses' brother. Something that has blown my mind even more than where to put the apostrophe in "S'Expresses'"

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

On 12/10/2019 at 12:28, The DA said:

Stephen Moore - Marvin the Paranoid Android, Adrian Mole's dad, Jack in The Rock Follies.

Can't find an obituary for him but it looks like it was last Friday and wiki's been updated.

He was great in that role

21 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 41 update

Nobody scores any points this week, so let's have a look at one random death through the week. 

FirstSpaceWalk.png

This is a picture of the first man to be outside in space. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/oct/11/alexei-leonov-space-walk-human-death-cosmonaut-russia

This happened 54 years ago. When you consider how dangerous this still is today, the amount of resources and precautions necessary, the technology available for it, I think it's remarkable that any kind of space exploration could have happened so long ago. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the equipment involved, but there are a few posters participating in the Dead Pool this year who would have been around in the 60s. Would you have gone into space with the technology available at the time? Would you have trusted whatever you were wearing to keep you alive in an airless environment, knowing if anything goes wrong there would be no-one who really knew what to do?

Also, could you have done this if you lived in a country with the social inequality and deprivation of the Soviet Union? According to Wikipedia:

I suppose the question here is, if that had happened to your family, would you still want to pursue something which was ostensibly used as a political tool by the state which destroyed your family? I somehow doubt Leonov was the only person to experience this sort of internal conflict. Nobody would have been able to do anything about it at the time though.

So, no scores this week, but time (hopefully) for some reflection on the possibility of human achievement. Here are some pictures too: https://www.theguardian.com/science/gallery/2015/may/09/first-space-walk-alexei-leonov-in-pictures

Enough of the philosophical pish, this is the deadpool, we want puns!

On 10/10/2019 at 18:42, sureiknow said:

Juilette Kaplan.

Actress from The Last of The Summer Wine dead.

Just looked up who she played in Last of the summer wine, and at least Howard will be relieved as Marina and him don't have to sneak about anymore. Robert Fyfe (94) and Jean Fergusson (74) are still going strong.