The Pie & Bovril Dead Pool 2019

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

For once I get to break a death: Bob Hawke, former Australian Prime Minister picked by about three of our Australian dwellers. 

Points please.  He was probably the last Aussie PM with any sort of charisma. 

Week 20 update

I'm going to be here forever. 

First of the week was Doris Day, aged 97: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48257670

Day's wholesome, girl-next-door image was a popular part of her myth that sometimes invited ridicule.

"I've been around so long, I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin," the musician Oscar Levant once remarked.

Day herself said her "Miss Chastity Belt" image was "more make-believe than any film part [she] ever played."

Her life was certainly not as sunny. She married four times, was divorced three times and was widowed once.

She also suffered a mental breakdown and had severe financial trouble after one husband squandered her money.

In the 1970s, she turned away from performing to focus her energies on her animal foundation.

According to the organisation, she wished to have no funeral, memorial service or grave marker.

The 50s were a strange time. At 97 she's worth 28 Base Points. Now let me see how many people picked her. 10! That's not so bad. 

Those 27 Points go to @atfccfc, @cambozpar, @HI HAT, @ICTJohnboy, @Karpaty, @mathematics, @MixuFixit, @statts1976uk and @Sweaty Morph.

One person had Doris as a Captain for an additional set of base points, so @Lofarl gets 54 points.

=====

The second death of the week was Tim Conway, an American actor who was in a bunch of stuff in the 70s: https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/obituary-tim-conway-performer-who-gained-comedy-immortality-on-the-carol-burnett-show-1-4928356

Tributes came from across the comedy world, including from chat show host Conan O’Brien, who said “no one made me laugh harder than Tim Conway” and Kathy Griffin, who called him a wildly talented, comedy giant.

A native of Ohio, Conway credited his Midwestern roots for putting him on the right path to laughs, with his deadpan expression and innocent, simple-minded demeanour.

“I think the Midwest is the heart of comedy in this country, and a little bit of the South, too”, he said in 2005. “For some reason, we’re just more laid-back, more understanding. ... And Midwesterners have a kinder sense of humour.”

Those qualities probably contributed to his wide popularity on The Carol Burnett Show, which he joined in 1975 after years as a frequent guest. The show aired on CBS from 1967 to 1978 and had a short summer stint on ABC in 1979.

“We really didn’t attack people or politics or religion or whatever. We just made fun of, basically, ourselves”, he said.

He's also the voice of someone from SpongeBob SquarePants. He was also in a Simpsons episode which, as far as I'm concerned doesn't exist. He died at 85, which mean's he's worth 40 Base Points. @Melanius Mullarkey and @Savage Henry were the only ones to pick him, meaning the 25 Deadly Duo points make him worth 65 points overall. 

=====

Our final death this week was former Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-48301237

In an era of Australian leadership turmoil, the death of Bob Hawke, a beloved former prime minister, feels especially poignant ahead of a national election on Saturday, writes the BBC's Hywel Griffith in Sydney.

Australia loves a larrikin - a rambunctious rogue who does not care about convention. In Bob Hawke, who died on Thursday at 89, the country found a natural leader, happy to play the role.

Though he swore off alcohol while in office, well into his late 80s, he would still perform his famous party-trick of downing a glass of beer at cricket matches, always to rapturous applause.

But Hawke's antics belied a sharp political mind that understood the need to build consensus and keep the voters on his side.

"These acts of drinking, these acts of womanising, as much as they got out into the public eye were a calculated risk on his part," says associate Prof Anika Gauja from the University of Sydney.

"It was cultivated on his part to perpetuate his image of an easy-going guy. I'm not sure whether in today's style of politics, whether he'd be seen as too much of a liability in the social media age."

The rest of this article echoes something I thought when I was watching reports about him. I don't know much about Australian politics but I know it's broadly similar to the British and American politics that dominate my news - it's in a bit of a state. To read about someone with record approval ratings for over a decade seems almost surreal. More so when you think a Prime Minister was in charge of a country for all of the 1980s and wasn't a complete roaster. 

Like Tim Conway, he was featured in an episode of The Simpsons:

439888.jpg

Dying at 89 he was worth 36 Base Points. Everyone who picked him gets the 36 points: @10menwent2mow, @Arabdownunder, @Bert Raccoon, @Eednud, @Fuctifano, @Ned Nederlander, @Oooooft and @ToBeSomeone.

And now, the standings:

1. alta-pete 448
2. Oooooft 411
3. Ned Nederlander 397

4. sparky88 328
5. DBA 282
6. chomp my root 221
7. Bishop Briggs 207
8. Lex 186

9. Once a Rover always a Rover 151
10. cdisaaccie, peasy23, The Naitch 140
11. ICTJohnboy 118
11. Musketeer Gripweed 106

12. gingette 105
13. JustOneCornetto 101
14. Ben Twilly 93
15. wellinwigan 92
16. ICTJohnboy 91
17. Sweaty Morph 89
18. Miguel Sanchez 84
19. 10menwent2mow 82

20. LoonsYouthTeam 78
21. HI HAT 76
22. Karpaty 73

23. Indale Winton, lichtgilphead, qos_75 70
24. Bold Rover, Ross. 69
25. Melanius Mullarkey, Savage Henry 65
26. Lofarl 54

27. Blootoon87,  Sergeant Wilson 49
28. JamieStevenson, killiefan27, RadgerTheBadger, Willie adie 46
29. The DA, Ziggy 44
30. Arabdownunder, Bert Raccoon, Eedned, Fuctifano, ToBeSomeone 36
31. atfccfc, cambozpar, mathematics, MixuFixit, statts1976uk 27

32. Everyone else 0  

I'm pretty certain everything is right. The spreadsheet has been updated with everyone's scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NlaNlT-7ZGlQGqszGFfBb49tVzFpWITUAR7BUjApJUc/edit#gid=0

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 20 update

I'm going to be here forever. 

First of the week was Doris Day, aged 97: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48257670

The 50s were a strange time. At 97 she's worth 28 Base Points. Now let me see how many people picked her. 10! That's not so bad. 

Those 27 Points go to @atfccfc, @cambozpar, @HI HAT, @ICTJohnboy, @Karpaty, @mathematics, @MixuFixit, @statts1976uk and @Sweaty Morph.

One person had Doris as a Captain for an additional set of base points, so @Lofarl gets 54 points.

=====

The second death of the week was Tim Conway, an American actor who was in a bunch of stuff in the 70s: https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/obituary-tim-conway-performer-who-gained-comedy-immortality-on-the-carol-burnett-show-1-4928356

He's also the voice of someone from SpongeBob SquarePants. He was also in a Simpsons episode which, as far as I'm concerned doesn't exist. He died at 85, which mean's he's worth 40 Base Points. @Melanius Mullarkey and @Savage Henry were the only ones to pick him, meaning the 25 Deadly Duo points make him worth 65 points overall. 

=====

Our final death this week was former Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-48301237

The rest of this article echoes something I thought when I was watching reports about him. I don't know much about Australian politics but I know it's broadly similar to the British and American politics that dominate my news - it's in a bit of a state. To read about someone with record approval ratings for over a decade seems almost surreal. More so when you think a Prime Minister was in charge of a country for all of the 1980s and wasn't a complete roaster. 

Like Tim Conway, he was featured in an episode of The Simpsons:

439888.jpg

Dying at 89 he was worth 36 Base Points. Everyone who picked him gets the 36 points: @10menwent2mow, @Arabdownunder, @Bert Raccoon, @Eednud, @Fuctifano, @Ned Nederlander, @Oooooft and @ToBeSomeone.

And now, the standings:

1. alta-pete 448
2. Oooooft 411
3. Ned Nederlander 397

4. sparky88 328
5. DBA 282
6. chomp my root 221
7. Bishop Briggs 207
8. Lex 186

9. Once a Rover always a Rover 151
10. cdisaaccie, peasy23, The Naitch 140
11. ICTJohnboy 118
11. Musketeer Gripweed 106

12. gingette 105
13. JustOneCornetto 101
14. Ben Twilly 93
15. wellinwigan 92
16. ICTJohnboy 91
17. Sweaty Morph 89
18. Miguel Sanchez 84
19. 10menwent2mow 82

20. LoonsYouthTeam 78
21. HI HAT 76
22. Karpaty 73

23. Indale Winton, lichtgilphead, qos_75 70
24. Bold Rover, Ross. 69
25. Melanius Mullarkey, Savage Henry 65
26. Lofarl 54

27. Blootoon87,  Sergeant Wilson 49
28. JamieStevenson, killiefan27, RadgerTheBadger, Willie adie 46
29. The DA, Ziggy 44
30. Arabdownunder, Bert Raccoon, Eedned, Fuctifano, ToBeSomeone 36
31. atfccfc, cambozpar, mathematics, MixuFixit, statts1976uk 27

32. Everyone else 0  

I'm pretty certain everything is right. The spreadsheet has been updated with everyone's scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NlaNlT-7ZGlQGqszGFfBb49tVzFpWITUAR7BUjApJUc/edit#gid=0

Is there anyway, other than in my head, we can have Whole Lotta Love playing when you make the weekly chart round up?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

27 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If you try this again in English I might be able to help you. 

I imagine the Top of the Pops theme, Whole Lotta Love originally recorded by Led Zeppelin, when you publish the leader board. It was a whimsical idea that you could add this as a sound track. It wasn't that funny the first time and certainly hasn't got any better for the additional explanation.

I've edited the predictive text errors as well.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

4 hours ago, sureiknow said:

Herman Wouk aged 103.

American Author of The Caine Munity.

In the last month we've lost

Peter Mayhew- a Wookie

now Herman Wouk

Hmm.. I wonder if John Woo is shiteing himself..