The Pie & Bovril Dead Pool 2019

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

Imagine if they were brothers - now, there's an odd couple - was Cliff ever in Stella Street? 

I'd love to say 'yeah, about six inches in' but it's Sir Cliff we're talking about.

Week 18 update

Deaths are like buses, etc. 

First up was Peter Mayhew, best known for playing a walking carpet in some 70s sci-fi films: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48142765

Truly the greatest tribute to be paid to him was the Star Wars-themed Team of the Day on yesterday's Off the Ball. I'm not sure about his hair though.

Mayhew was a Solo Shot for @JustOneCornetto. He was 74, which is worth 51 points. Plus 50 for the Solo Shot, and it's 101 points.

The second death this week is another reason to love the Daily Mail for making it viable here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-6986505/Hockey-Hall-Famer-Red-Kelly-dies-age-91.html

Now that that's over, let's get some real reporting on Canadian hockey player Leonard "Red" Kelly, who died this week: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kindness-humility-made-red-kelly-different-kind-nhl-legend/

I learned from his teammates that Kelly was the quiet presence in the dressing room. The clutch player, the dependable player, the unselfish player — the player who understood and did whatever it took to win. Even though he won many NHL awards and was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, he was still valued and appreciated even more by those teammates in the dressing room.

His calm nature showed from time to time when teammates caught him taking a brief cat nap while others were uptight about the pressures of an upcoming game. He also never swore in an era when that was far more the exception than the rule. The word “hang” was as profane as it got for him.

There are a few picks in the Dead Pool this year who are North American sportsmen. I'm not going to claim to know anything about any of the American football players who might show up, although I can appreciate someone who is a great in a sport I know nothing about. However, I can offer some succinct appreciation in this case.

Despite growing up in Ontario, home of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Kelly was never noticed/appreciate by scouts in various youth hockey leagues and went to sign with the Detroit Red Wings. He played 13 seasons there as a defenseman, named a First Team All-Star (the equivalent of Team of the Year) six times, as well as the James Norris trophy for best defenseman in 1954. The Red Wings also won the Stanley Cup four times in this stretch.

He was then traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, where he switched positions. He played as a forward for seven and a half seasons, winning another four Stanley Cups, being just as effective at centre as he was at defence. Throughout his career he also won the Lady Byng trophy four times, awarded to the player who is "player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability." Given hockey's historical reputation for violence and aggression, I've always admired players who are able to succeed without it.

The most surprising thing I've read about him in the past week is that between 1950 and 1967, the only teams besides the dominant Montreal Canadiens that won a Stanley Cup had Kelly playing for him. In a six team league where Montreal effectively rigged the system to hoover up all the best young players, it's all the more impressive to think his teams managed this.

Anyway, he was 91 which means 34 base points. Plus 50 for the inevitable Solo Shot and it's 84 points for, er, me. 

Standings:

1. alta-pete 399
2. Oooooft 375
3. Ned Nederlander 361

4. sparky88 328
5. DBA 282
6. chomp my root 221
7. Bishop Briggs 207
8. Lex 186
Once a Rover always a Rover 151
10. cdisaaccie, peasy23, The Naitch 140
11. Musketeer Gripweed 106

12. gingette 105
13. JustOneCornetto 101
14. Ben Twilly 93
15. wellinwigan 92
16. ICTJohnboy 91
17. Miguel Sanchez 84

18. LoonsYouthTeam 78
19. Indale Winton, lichtgilphead, qos_75 70
20. Bold Rover, Ross. 69

21. Sweaty Morph 62
22. 10menwent2mow, JamieStevenson, Karpaty, killiefan27,  RadgerTheBadger, Willie adie 46
23. The DA, Ziggy 44

24. Everyone else 0  

The spreadsheet has also been updated: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NlaNlT-7ZGlQGqszGFfBb49tVzFpWITUAR7BUjApJUc/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

7 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

My deputy, and solo pick, Belinda Gilfoyle, has passed.

She passed in December so nil points.

Announcements were made under her maiden name so I missed them.

Tragically young and with a young family - R.I.P etc.

Erm ... I listed a couple of subs, not sure if this would count !?

@Miguel Sanchez

Edited by Ned Nederlander

Okay, with that in mind:

Ned's Vice Captain does appear to have died last December. If you search for confirmation of this you get very poor results. There's an adult author on twitter, and a free forum dedicated to 80s criminal drama Minder. This very thread is a prominent result, probably boosted by Ned's last two posts. 

With this in mind, I've decided to allow one of his sub picks to be swapped in. While it's the responsibility of everyone who participates in the Dead Pool to make sure all their picks are alive before submitting them, I check everyone's lists when I'm setting up the game and I missed this. With good reason, as it turns out. It seems quite obvious that even if she had died this year, she would have been unlikely to receive a qualifying obituary and thus would have been ineligible for points anyway.

The sub, which was listed in Ned's entry PM, will take the place of Gilfoyle on the team, but won't be eligible for the Vice-Captain bonus. The spreadsheet has been updated with this. 

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

It seems quite obvious that even if she had died this year, she would have been unlikely to receive a qualifying obituary and thus would have been ineligible for points anyway.

Cheers MS.

The obit is a bit of a strange one, the Sun covered fund-raising towards her illness and I thought that meant they'd cover her passing - I can only imagine the family (quite rightfully) kept it to themselves with the only the scant mentions I saw earlier making the matter public.

Again, very young and with a young family, heart-breaking stuff.

9 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

I can only imagine the family (quite rightfully) kept it to themselves with the only the scant mentions I saw earlier making the matter public.

Again, very young and with a young family, heart-breaking stuff.

Aye, but they must know games like this exist. A bit of courtesy is all that's required.

4 minutes ago, HI HAT said:

1st points if it's true, about time the grim reaper guy started to earn his corn this year , been pretty quiet, oh and comisserations etc to his family etc etc etc

https://www.comedy.co.uk/people/news/5298/freddie_starr_rip/