The Pie & Bovril Dead Pool 2019

Week 17 update

Stuff! Things! Scottish football sadly has several cases of ex-pros from decades past who suffer brain injuries as a result of their play. This time, it was the man who produced what is probably Scottish sport's most iconic and enduring image who has gone, Billy McNeill: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/23/billy-mcneill-obituary

Image result for billy mcneill

With that, as well as this collection of pictures in mind I am not in any real position to offer any detail on McNeill's achievements or legacy. I had no idea he'd had such success as a manager, for instance. Here is what the members of P&B had to say about him:

Also worth watching is this obituary from Bernard Ponsonby on STV News, which seems popular with Celtic fans:

Dying at 79, he's worth 46 base points. He was picked by 14 players, some with multipliers:

@10menwent2mow, @DBA, @JamieStevenson, @Karpaty, @killiefan27, @Lex, @Once A Rover always a Rover, @psv_killie, @qos_75, @RadgerTheBadger and @Willie adie all get 46 points.

@Bold Rover and @Ross. had him as Vice-Captain, worth an extra 0.5 BP for 69 points.

@wellinwigan had him as Captain, worth 92 points.

The standings now look like this:

1. alta-pete 399
2. Oooooft 375
3. Ned Nederlander 361

4. sparky88 328
5. DBA 282
6. chomp my root 221
7. Bishop Briggs 207
8. Lex 186
9. Once a Rover always a Rover 151

10. cdisaaccie, peasy23, The Naitch 140
11. Musketeer Gripweed 106

12. gingette 105
13. Ben Twilly 93
14. wellinwigan 92
15. ICTJohnboy 91

16. LoonsYouthTeam 78
17. Indale Winton, lichtgilphead, qos_75 70
18. Bold Rover, Ross. 69

19. Sweaty Morph 62
20. 10menwent2mow, JamieStevenson, Karpaty, killiefan27, RadgerTheBadger, Willie adie 46
21. The DA, Ziggy 44

22. Everyone else 0  

I think everything's right. I'm sorry if it's not, but it's been a while since I had anything to add and I'm out of practice. The spreadsheet has been updated with the new scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NlaNlT-7ZGlQGqszGFfBb49tVzFpWITUAR7BUjApJUc/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

56 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 17 update

Stuff! Things! Scottish football sadly has several cases of ex-pros from decades past who suffer brain injuries as a result of their play. This time, it was the man who produced what is probably Scottish sport's most iconic and enduring image who has gone, Billy McNeill: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/23/billy-mcneill-obituary

Image result for billy mcneill

With that, as well as this collection of pictures in mind I am not in any real position to offer any detail on McNeill's achievements or legacy. I had no idea he'd had such success as a manager, for instance. Here is what the members of P&B had to say about him:

Also worth watching is this obituary from Bernard Ponsonby on STV News, which seems popular with Celtic fans:

Dying at 79, he's worth 46 base points. He was picked by 14 players, some with multipliers:

@10menwent2mow, @DBA, @JamieStevenson, @Karpaty, @killiefan27, @Lex, @Once A Rover always a Rover, @psv_killie, @qos_75, @RadgerTheBadger and @Willie adie all get 46 points.

@Bold Rover and @Ross. had him as Vice-Captain, worth an extra 0.5 BP for 69 points.

@wellinwigan had him as Captain, worth 92 points.

The standings now look like this:

1. alta-pete 399
2. Oooooft 375
3. Ned Nederlander 361

4. sparky88 328
5. DBA 282
6. chomp my root 221
7. Bishop Briggs 207
8. Lex 186

9. cdisaaccie, peasy23, The Naitch 140
10. Musketeer Gripweed 106

11. gingette, Once a Rover always a Rover 105
12. Ben Twilly 93
13. wellinwigan 92
14. ICTJohnboy 91

15. LoonsYouthTeam 78
16. Indale Winton, lichtgilphead, qos_75 70
17. Bold Rover, Ross. 69

18. Sweaty Morph 62
19. 10menwent2mow, JamieStevenson, Karpaty, killiefan27, Once a Rover always a Rover, RadgerTheBadger, Willie adie 46
20. The DA, Ziggy 44

21. Everyone else 0  

I think everything's right. I'm sorry if it's not, but it's been a while since I had anything to add and I'm out of practice. The spreadsheet has been updated with the new scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NlaNlT-7ZGlQGqszGFfBb49tVzFpWITUAR7BUjApJUc/edit?usp=sharing

Doubt I will ever be more disappointed to get off the mark than I am with this. Still, points are points...

59 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Stevie Chalmers gone now as well.

Stevie was also an ex-Jag who lived in the Briggs for many years. He was a very quiet and modest man.

The media had reported a while ago that, like Billy McNeill, he had been suffering from dementia and was too ill to attend Lisbon anniversary events. 

Peter Lawwell's tribute is excellent - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48091417.

RIP Stevie. :(

Edited by Bishop Briggs

On 18/04/2019 at 13:12, LincolnHearts said:

No whoosh intended mate.

Radio 2 just reported that 'The Actor' was shot dead in its 1 o'clock bulletin. 

He was shot live on the radio?

2 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

Czech Republic & Alanyaspor striker Josef Šural has died at aged 28 after a minibus crash involving himself and a handful of his teammates. Steven Caulker & Papiss Cisse named among the survivors.

Did Willie McKay hire the bus?

7 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Hereditary disease, I heard.

Looking back, it's so bizarre, it runs in the family.

Could have been suicide, found dead by the police - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-48117414

The statement on the Level 42 website said: "It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to tell you of the passing of our dear friend and brother Boon Gould. "You are at peace now Boon, no more pain mate."