The Pie & Bovril Dead Pool 2019

3 hours ago, Oooooft said:

He was maybe blindsided...

21 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Banks was FIFA goalkeeper of the year for six consecutive seasons - 1966-71.

You need more than one great save to win six times.

Something suspicious going on.  The only place I've found mention of Keeper of the Year in the 60s and 70s is on Banks' wiki page. 

FIFA only started Player of the Year (never mind Keeper of the Year) in 1991.  before that, it was the Ballon d'Or.

Is someone playing wiki games?

1 minute ago, The DA said:

Something suspicious going on.  The only place I've found mention of Keeper of the Year in the 60s and 70s is on Banks' wiki page. 

FIFA only started Player of the Year (never mind Keeper of the Year) in 1991.  before that, it was the Ballon d'Or.

Is someone playing wiki games?

Possibly but IIRC, FIFA used to name teams of the year, World Cup etc. Peter Bonetti's disaster against the Germans in 1970 helped to enhance his reputation. 

Even so, I rated Dino Zoff and Peter Shilton ahead of Gordon Banks. I preferred Ray Clemence in goal for England. :thumsup2

12 hours ago, The DA said:

The w**k-fest over that save is nauseating.  Is that all he did?

That save certainly earned him legend status in England. As others have said he was a decent keeper but hardly the greatest ever. The media reaction as usual has been totally ott.

On 12/02/2019 at 19:00, Bishop Briggs said:

Possibly but IIRC, FIFA used to name teams of the year, World Cup etc. Peter Bonetti's disaster against the Germans in 1970 helped to enhance his reputation. 

Even so, I rated Dino Zoff and Peter Shilton ahead of Gordon Banks. I preferred Ray Clemence in goal for England. :thumsup2

I can't agree with you if you're preferring Clemence over Banks. I was young in 1966 but remember well the 1970 WC. And his performances for unfashionable Leicester and Stoke. He was probably the best keeper of his time and you can't really compare players from different eras. 

Agree with the comment that his absence through illness against W Germany in 1970 enhanced Banks' reputation. 

24 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

I can't agree with you if you're preferring Clemence over Banks. I was young in 1966 but remember well the 1970 WC. And his performances for unfashionable Leicester and Stoke. He was probably the best keeper of his time and you can't really compare players from different eras. 

Agree with the comment that his absence through illness against W Germany in 1970 enhanced Banks' reputation. 

:lol: 

I was thinking of Ray Clemence letting Kenny Dalglish's shot through his legs at Hampden. You must old enough to remember that!