The Pie & Bovril Dead Pool 2019

WEEK 3 UPDATE

Another week, another death and a sad moment as a P&B favourite is gone from the world. 

Image result for oh dear how sad never mind gif

You've all seen this man, you've all seen this picture, you've all heard that quote. You, like me, may have never seen It Ain't Half Hot Mum but Windsor Davies has left his mark on P&B in our collective schadenfreude towards a team or person suffering misfortune. Often Rangers. 

Obituary: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-38497286

In 1973, they were cast together in It Ain't Half Hot Mum, the follow-up comedy for Dad's Army creators Perry and Croft.

It was set in a Royal Artillery concert party in the last few months of World War Two in India - although the series ran for eight years.

Davies played Battery Sergeant Major Williams - nicknamed Sgt Major "Shut Up!" - a no-nonsense, bellowing platoon leader with a love-hate relationship with the theatrical troupe.

Frustrated in his endeavours to drill them as a fighting unit, he had little time for the artistic pursuits of his charges - always happier in costume than Army uniform - or the upper class twits who were his commanding officers. His authority was further subtly undermined by the camp's Indian servants.

The big man sees points for @Musketeer Gripweed and @Sweaty Morph. He was 88, so has a base score of 37. Add to this the Deadly Duo bonus, and he's worth 62 points. The leaderboard now looks like this:

1. Bishop Briggs, Oooooft 207
2. sparky88 162
3. chomp my root 116
4. Musketeer Gripweed, Sweaty Morph 62

5. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has been updated with this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NlaNlT-7ZGlQGqszGFfBb49tVzFpWITUAR7BUjApJUc/edit?usp=sharing

Two weeks, two updates, two f**k-ups. A strange looking woman who was in some musicals is also dead: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46878018

Carol Channing was 97, giving her a base score of 28. @LoonsYouthTeam is the only person to pick her though, and her Solo Shot bonus takes her up to 78 points. Which gives me hope for my team of 80-something writers. 

2. sparky88 162
3. chomp my root 116
4. LoonsYouthTeam 78
5. Musketeer Gripweed, Sweaty Morph 62

6. Everyone else 0

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Two weeks, two updates, two f**k-ups. A strange looking woman who was in some musicals is also dead: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46878018

Carol Channing was 97, giving her a base score of 28. @LoonsYouthTeam is the only person to pick her though, and her Solo Shot bonus takes her up to 78 points. Which gives me hope for my team of 80-something writers. 

2. sparky88 162
3. chomp my root 116
4. LoonsYouthTeam 78
5. Musketeer Gripweed, Sweaty Morph 62

6. Everyone else 0

Is that why you raised the solo shot bonus from 30 to 50 points this year?

That rule change seems to have slipped through unnoticed.

3 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I wanted to incentivise variety in the picks. I think I also thought the SS/DD points were a bit low. 

Also if I wanted to cheat I would have copied everyone else's best picks instead of entering the same team I've had the past three years running

I didn't mention cheating as I was commenting a rule change. I hadn't even considered the possibility that anyone would cheat so why bring it up? I'm genuinely puzzled.

You should have highlighted the change when it was made. It could have impacted on the choices that others made. I'm probably not the only one who had assumed, wrongly, that the rules were the same.

Tbf the rules were posted BB, and I like you never twigged. Our onus on reading one post, so no complaints.

My team would've had 5/6 changes if I had.

Eta**** Worlds oldest man deid, at 113. Normally 12 points so not on my radar but if solo that's 62?????

Next year will be a load of old cuntos, which will be a waste of picks imo as they won't be solos as folk will chase them thinking they are.

Still kicking myself over Fatima Ali/Genesis Porridge and the Aussie author, bad decisions by myself, whereas David Hagen maybe a v poor punt.

That's without the rule change.

Fair play to San Mig if he keeps up the weekly scoreboard, nice innovation.

Edited by Oooooft

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Is that why you raised the solo shot bonus from 30 to 50 points this year?

That rule change seems to have slipped through unnoticed.

A bit accusatory, Your Grace, intended or otherwise. The dead pool came within a bawhair of not running this year until Miguel's accepting the baton. That entitles him to some adjustments to the rules, imo.

35 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I didn't mention cheating as I was commenting a rule change. I hadn't even considered the possibility that anyone would cheat so why bring it up? I'm genuinely puzzled.

You should have highlighted the change when it was made. It could have impacted on the choices that others made. I'm probably not the only one who had assumed, wrongly, that the rules were the same.

You seem very critical of Miguel. I don’t remember you volunteering to take this job on. 

14 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

A bit accusatory, Your Grace, intended or otherwise. The dead pool came within a bawhair of not running this year until Miguel's accepting the baton. That entitles him to some adjustments to the rules, imo.

How I see it too, I'm not exactly BFF's with Miguel but fair play to him for stepping up and running it. If he wants to tweak things then fair enough.  If its all laid out in the rules then its up to us chimps to be up to speed.

47 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

There are rules? 

amazed.jpg