• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Possibly a foul throw that started it, but that equaliser was lovely. Really good football.

No possibly about it. It was a foul throw. The game was littered with them. But you never see refs give them.

He really hasn't, not even the worst in a Rovers' top.
Had to be Grant. Worst game so far and I'm a fan of him.

Flanagan though was as bad as he has always been.

If however Flanagan scores the goal that promotes us that's different.

Had to be Grant. Worst game so far and I'm a fan of him.

Flanagan though was as bad as he has always been.

If however Flanagan scores the goal that promotes us that's different.
Flanagan was poor today but overall he's been a very good signing for us. His touch to bring a ball down is ridiculous aswell

You'd have to go a long way to find a collective display of defending as bad as that.

It could've easily been 4-4 at half time with both defences looking totally incapable of completing even the most basic defensive task.

I thought we started the second half even worse but the goal and then the subsequent introduction of Vaughan changed the game in our favour.

For me a draw would've been about right but delighted with the win.

There is still a helluva work to be done before we can seriously consider promotion as a realistic possibility.

It's been said on this thread and previous match threads. Our defence are letting us down this season. With an attack of Nisbet, Vaughan/ buchanan, Armstrong and Flanagan we should score goals for fun at this level, which we are. As individuals I rate our defenders but as a unit they are poor. That's our downfall and will continue to be our downfall. I'd expect mcglynn to get a rb in for January (please) and as he said in his pre match interview a 'keeper. Hopefully it's a' keeper that can get Robbie out the team for a bit at least. Great shot stopper at times but when the defence don't have confidence in the 'keeper then it's time for a change.

Having only had time to watch up till benes missed header. Thomson was too far off his line for the first by a yard or two, Armstrongs pass was actually just too hard for Matthews to get rather than a pass to no one. Flannagan let his man get time for the pass and davo didn't move in when bene went to cover. Just from two goals there was at least 4 mistakes that shouldn't be happening and that are easily cut out. Basic errors that are costing us every week.

Raith keeper had a mare

Dumbarton actually had alot of chances but their defending was fucking awful honestly don't think they look fit

That game could've ended 6-4

Could have been that by half time in fairness. Any chance you boys fancy having a few off days sooner or later?

Could have been that by half time in fairness. Any chance you boys fancy having a few off days sooner or later?

I don't think we've played well in any of the last 3 (only saw two of them but got reports from today's game) and we've scored 9 conceded 4 and won all 3.

We've actually done that with a lot of changes to the side too due to niggles and suspensions. Callum Smith has been out long term and Steven Doris has only just returned in recent weeks, our captain has dropped out the team for a bit, Thomas O'Brien has missed a couple of games with suspensions and niggling injuries and our bench although not great in numbers has had some real strength to it. I'd have liked some of them to be starting over the players who have played...

Despite all that we just keep winning, regardless of how we play, I really can't get my head around it it's great.

Darren Jamieson and Jason Thomson coming into an already good team that has a good understanding has just made us so much more solid. They've slotted right in, 17 games 14 wins and 3 draws and I'm still not confident, football eh [emoji23]

I don't think we've played well in any of the last 3 (only saw two of them but got reports from today's game) and we've scored 9 conceded 4 and won all 3.

We've actually done that with a lot of changes to the side too due to niggles and suspensions. Callum Smith has been out long term and Steven Doris has only just returned in recent months, our captain has dropped out the team for a bit, Thomas O'Brien has missed a couple of games with suspensions and niggling injuries and our bench although not great in numbers has had some real strength to it. I'd have liked some of them to be starting over the players who have played...

Despite all that we just keep winning, regardless of how we play, I really can't get my head around it it's great.

Darren Jamieson and Jason Thomson coming into an already good team that has a good understanding has just made us so much more solid. They've slotted right in, 17 games 14 wins and 3 draws and I'm still not confident, football eh [emoji23]
Strength in depth within a squad built up over a few seasons is exactly how we got out of this league under mcglynn in the past.

Having personally trained under the campbells, their training is very good aswell! You have everything in place to win the league and I doubt anyone thinks you won't now.

Funny you saying that about Thomson considering the idiots in our support thinking he was past it etc. He maybe did need a change of scenery though.

Yup, a lot of Keystone Cops defending on display from both teams there.

No idea how there was any dubiety over who scored our second - there were only 2 of our players in the box, one scored and the other immediately ran to him to congratulate him.  And NEITHER was Hutton, who the press initially credited with the goal.

Dyer falling on his arse trying to defend that first goal is hilarious.

Dowie actually ducks under the ball for the 2nd. Captain fantastic once again proving he's just a big dour faced diddy whos absolutely finished.

McGowan is absolutely nowhere near good enough for this level. He made some decent stops but his positioning and awareness is non existant. He could've done better with 3 of those goals IMO.

Good to see the highlights managed to capture Barr's moment of hypocrisy, including his wee hissyfit. Both of the incidents are even more similar than I remember. Another overall shanner of a performance from him.

Surely Forbes being subbed off was injury related rather than tactical? If it was tactical then I think Jim Duffy's bunnet is restricting the bloodflow to his brain.

Really nicely put together highlights as per @Roath Raver - it's good to see that the game was as mental as I remember it being.

I totally get why Thomson is taking stick for Forbes' goal, but the ball is hit with so much pace that he would've done well to save it. His positioning is fine given where play is, and the ball doesn't float over him like Beckham's against Wimbledon. It's more of a shot from 40 yards than a lob. Fantastic vision, fantastic execution. There aren't too many players in this division who could do that.

The defending from both teams is absolutely criminal all game though. How Armstrong manages to get ahead of Dyer that easily (despite how good the cross is) is beyond me. He just doesn't look like he wants to attack the ball.

Our second is a good ball in from Ballantyne, but we have two players basically on the line and Raith have nobody near them. Crazy.

Ballantyne could maybe do more to stop the cross for Rovers' second equaliser, but Dowie makes a mess of the clearance and McGowan will probably feel as if he could've done better - despite how close range it was.

The third is bizarre, what angered me (that I didn't notice at the time) is that Hutton doesn't bother getting near Murray. McGowan again could maybe be doing a bit better too, and given how slowly the ball loops up in the air it's disappointing nobody in red attacked it. Everyone just stood and watched.

It made no difference because we punted everyone forward, but the fourth is a mess too. Carsy outmuscled, McGowan diving out the way and Dyer continually backpedalling. Hopefully we can get Smith back in next week - he's not fantastic but he's the best of the four we've had this season (Smith, Mutch, McGowan, Adam, in that order). We also need to do something at left-back. Forbes gives us composure and vision in the middle of the park, but it might be worth punting him back into defence and starting Ryan Thomson (if he's fit enough) next week. He won't be as pretty, but he'll do a good job, and Forbes is better than Dyer.

Left sided defender has to be our #1 priority in January now imo.

As 1320 points out we had a lot of chances. Again. Since Duffy came in (in fact, arguably for a bit under Aitken too) we've created loads - in fact we've scored a good number - but we just aren't converting enough. We've had 205 shots so far this season, Arbroath have had 214. We've scored 26, they've scored 43...

We're also all over the shop far too often defensively - mainly away from home.

Tl;dr version - Don't covert enough chances, can't defend.

Archived