After match hospitality

lookinforgoals

There were a good few off us in cabin before game too be fair ?

Me and my three friends all bought 1st goalscorer tickets , hot dogs and drink in cabin ? We're not comittee but always try our best 2 support other clubs , i think was more 2 do with weather than lack of respect , damp n cold , as someone said all in cars now , people just want to go home especialy on a day like that [emoji849]

1 hour ago, iPhone said:

Beith really need to look at how they treat their own fans as it is them that make the club what it is.

It's actually the committee who make the club what it is and the fans aren't far behind. 

Hopefully the club can get a separate wee place away from the main hospitality for the fans as all we really want to do is give the club money at half time, money that clubs are needing lots these days. 

As has already been said if you have roughly an hours journey home and your soaked to the skin the last thing once you want is to get in car and get out 5 mins along the road for a sandwich 

No disrespect to Neilston but I find personally if the grub after game is not on site it's a pain in the arse ,sometimes you need to find the boozer and parking as well can be a pain in the arse 

Also if the games been well contested and you get defeated the last thing you want to do is go back for a pie 

It's also a good point that a lot of boys don't actually drink these days .Gone are the days when you got paid your expenses as a player then drunk them in the  social club/pub 

Me personally knock it on the head unless it's a Scottish cup tie with a long journey .

Maybe it's a generational thing - I can remember one of our long-term committee members bemoaning the fact that in his day, the whole team would stay until shutting time after a game, and looking aghast when I suggested that might not necessarily have been a good thing!

I'd say retain it for long-distance Junior Cup awaydays, but there's little point in railroading teams that are 20-30 minutes away and clearly just want to get home into partaking in it.  I'm sure the old guard might moan about it, but in many cases that's just what old guys'll do anyway even when there's no foundation.

As the Beith thread proved recently....

It's a game you ultimately can't win when it comes to hospitality - I can remember we had a run of like three or four home games in a week come the end of one season and on the Monday,  no-one from the opposition stayed back as they all wanted home. Come the Wednesday, we were playing someone fairly localish - forget who - and were down more than half the committee for various reasons. so took the decision not to do anything for the first time I can ever remember. Sure as fate, come half time some old codger from the other team was shooting his mouth off in the social club about how the half-dozen guys who were running around trying to make a game happen weren't waiting on him hand and foot.

<sigh>

18 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Maybe it's a generational thing - I can remember one of our long-term committee members bemoaning the fact that in his day, the whole team would stay until shutting time after a game, and looking aghast when I suggested that might not necessarily have been a good thing!

I'd say retain it for long-distance Junior Cup awaydays, but there's little point in railroading teams that are 20-30 minutes away and clearly just want to get home into partaking in it.  I'm sure the old guard might moan about it, but in many cases that's just what old guys'll do anyway even when there's no foundation.

As the Beith thread proved recently....

It's a game you ultimately can't win when it comes to hospitality - I can remember we had a run of like three or four home games in a week come the end of one season and on the Monday,  no-one from the opposition stayed back as they all wanted home. Come the Wednesday, we were playing someone fairly localish - forget who - and were down more than half the committee for various reasons. so took the decision not to do anything for the first time I can ever remember. Sure as fate, come half time some old codger from the other team was shooting his mouth off in the social club about how the half-dozen guys who were running around trying to make a game happen weren't waiting on him hand and foot.

<sigh>

Totally agree and the game has changed so much and probably for the better, players nowadays seldom come back to pre season spewing like the old school guys who went on a drunken bender close season, now the guys are going to the gym loads and getting pissed post game in a social club is yesterday's agenda. 

Being a junior footballer curtails loads of your personal life, Friday nights are a non event in a social /drinking capacity, Saturdays are game day and players have kids and loads of other priorities after the final whistle that might just put a pie and pint at hospitality Into relative insignificance. 

It's great to show nice hospitality and our players will always show up as the committee always will demand that they show up and correctly so but I would guess that loads of players would rather be elsewhere after a match if given the choice - more so In games of close proximity. 

This is mostly down to communication. Having been in the East Region and now North I would say that the East have it totally correct. Home Secretary  has to make contact with  away team ahead of match to agree colours etc and also mentions that there is (optional) after match Hospitality available. Away team either says yes or no should they be travelling by car or have some kind of function on and need to depart quickly. As long as all parties know what to expect (including those providing the food) then all should be fine. That said there are always situations where teams have taken a bad defeat and throw the toys out of the pram (Dundee sides well known for that from my experience) and the Sponsor is left with double food. In the North it is not compulsory but most teams do give a courtesy call to arrange these things. All that said unless a bus is being used then for most Sponsors it is a dead loss as most players do not drink much due to driving so its not a real money maker as it once was. I think there is a traditional thing where after match Hospitality should be offered especially where Scottish Cup ties are involved with over 1 hours travel. That is just courtesy. Personally I have been involved as a player and Committee member and part of what keeps me going is the odd Bus bender and going to somewhere different after a game.

Just remembered sitting in a bus with a Lothians teams guiding them back to our Sponsors Pub and their Chairman/Manager bloke said "What are you doing on here, our players are wanting to get back home quick"? "

"Erm taking you back to the place you agreed to go back to on Thursday night when we spoke to you and they have gone to the trouble of making food for you"!

That was of course on the back of a defeat. Sad really. Happened maybe a dozen times in last 15 years so not too bad

8 hours ago, ThemightyHERTHA said:

It's actually the committee who make the club what it is and the fans aren't far behind. 

Hopefully the club can get a separate wee place away from the main hospitality for the fans as all we really want to do is give the club money at half time, money that clubs are needing lots these days. 

It will always be the fans to me. They are the most important part of the set up and any committee should know this and look after them.

10 hours ago, iPhone said:

It will always be the fans to me. They are the most important part of the set up and any committee should know this and look after them.

You do realise the committee are fans too?

27 minutes ago, .Stuart. said:

You do realise the committee are fans too?

Not always mate. 

Dont get me wrong, a good active committee is great for any club but a clubs most important thing is the fans. It the fans that make a club and there is some fantastic fans at football clubs all over the country. Most teams players, managers and even committee members come and go but regularly you have fans their entire life, they give their hard earned cash to the club by paying at the gate, season tickets, raffle tickets and more. They turn out in all weather watch their team and many of them travel to away games.

I do think that a good committee is probably next but I think clubs should always look after their fans.

The day you take away hospitality is the day when the juniors will become nothing more than glorified amateur. Hospitality can provide much needed income to the home club and give something back to their sponsors etc.  If it goes it'll only be another nail on the coffin of what was once the tier below the SPFL.    

Having read all the comments I see it's a common occurrence for teams to disregard the hospitality laid on. Sad times in my opinion. Whether it's in the local or at the park,a players Saturday is complete once they have finished up at the after match hospitality. Called it old fashioned,call it respect but I personally think that if it's laid on for you,you make some sort of effort. Not everyone can make it,we get that,but for not one member to come back leaves a bad taste

We’re lucky in as much as we can do ours on site in the social club. In practice, this means the opposition players nine times out of ten will grab a pie or sausage roll and head straight out the door…it’s no big thing, with nobody expected to stay any longer than they want to.

It becomes a bit more problematic when it’s held off site. Waiting for everybody to get ready to leave, getting on the bus and travelling even five minutes up the road can take half an hour – add in another hour or so in the place that it's being held, and there's a significant chunk of the day lost to something most of the players probably didn’t want to do in the first place, especially at this time of year when most people would rather be spending as much time as they can with their families.

I agree better communication between clubs is needed…in many case these sort of problems can be solved by a quick phone call or email, but I just feel it’s standing too much on tradition to almost force folk to do something in many cases they clearly don’t want to, and more so to subsequently castigate them online when they don’t.

Archived