The Outer Worlds [Obsidian]

GiGi

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

We need details, damn it!

Made a guy that looks vaguely like Trotsky, spoke to a man with maybe a gunshot wound reciting his company's motto like his life depends on it (probably does) and then big dogged a company lieutenant and her subordinate into running headfirst into gunfire so I could get on the ship they were assaulting with no hassles. Only played 20 minutes but the gameplay feels good and the writing seems like standard Obsidian.  Looks good!

20 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Made a guy that looks vaguely like Trotsky, spoke to a man with maybe a gunshot wound reciting his company's motto like his life depends on it (probably does) and then big dogged a company lieutenant and her subordinate into running headfirst into gunfire so I could get on the ship they were assaulting with no hassles. Only played 20 minutes but the gameplay feels good and the writing seems like standard Obsidian.  Looks good!

One of the things Ive read is that its not really open world. How do the missions/quests work?

One of the things Ive read is that its not really open world. How do the missions/quests work?
The impression I got from the reviews I've seen is its like mass effect where its not just one big map that you can walk from one end to the other but instead smaller planets or locations which are all individual maps.

13 minutes ago, spud131 said:
1 hour ago, Mr X said:

The impression I got from the reviews I've seen is its like mass effect where its not just one big map that you can walk from one end to the other but instead smaller planets or locations which are all individual maps.

I hated Mass Effect :( 

So, now I need to know is it more Fallout in Space or Mass Effect in, err, Space?

38 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I hated Mass Effect :( 

So, now I need to know is it more Fallout in Space or Mass Effect in, err, Space?

Definitely more in common with Fallout. I'd even say closer to Borderlands than Mass Effect.

I'm about an hour in and just milling about Edgewater - quite a few funny bits already.

33 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Definitely more in common with Fallout. I'd even say closer to Borderlands than Mass Effect.

I'm about an hour in and just milling about Edgewater - quite a few funny bits already.

So, how open is it, especially in terms of missions? Are you fairly restricted and have to do missions in set orders or are you free, within reason, to pick and choose.

Ive never played Borderlands, so that doesnt help :lol:

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

So, how open is it, especially in terms of missions? Are you fairly restricted and have to do missions in set orders or are you free, within reason, to pick and choose.

Ive never played Borderlands, so that doesnt help :lol:

I mean right now I have a Story mission and 4 or 5 side quests on the go, (you can be halfway through a mission and another will pop up depending on who you talk to, sidetracking you - so that is Fallout/Borderlands like) the first area is an open map where you can go wherever you like but it's definitely not the entire game area . It's certainly not like ME though where you are railroaded into a set pathway.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean right now I have a Story mission and 4 or 5 side quests on the go, the first area is an open map where you can go wherever you like but it's definitely not the entire game area . It's certainly not like ME either where you are railroaded into a set pathway.

Cheers :thumsup2 

Im getting very close to buying this.

Bought it straight after the football and played it for 5 hours straight there.
Got sucked right in. Your choices genuinely feel like your shaping the world.

This is what Fallout 76 should have been. Bethesda are going to be feeling pretty stupid just now.

Have had a chance to sink about 4 or 5 hours game time in today, now off planet and on the Groundbreaker space port and aye, this game now has me hook line and sinker. Right up my street in what I want to get out of a game. No pointless grinding of levels as the game is very fair in terms of dishing out XP so far, no mindless filler collection quests (collect 50 of item X across the game map) , nothing about it is a chore and far too many games now feel like a grind or a slog early on in the play through for me. 

New Vegas in Space is really simplifying it too, to be honest. Much as I loved NV, It's a far tighter game than New Vegas was and it also does take large influence from Borderlands (which in itself was Mad Max in space) in terms of enemy design and aesthetic as well as a bit of set design influence from Mass Effect. The Groundbreaker itself has several parralels to the Citadel setting in the Mass Effect games. 

There's nothing singularly new or revolutionary in this game that you've never seen done elsewhere but it's pulling a lot of good things from a lot of different games that I already loved and is making it a thoroughly enjoyable experience. 

Sad state of affairs though nowadays that folk are praising a company for actually delivering the full game experience on day one without trying to upsell and shill their upgraded versions of the same game or selling you a game chock full of micro transactions and with a 'roadmap' for when it will eventually be at an acceptable level of quality if enough folk buy it.... But if not they'll just pull the plug and leave it forever half done, just like EA and Bioware have recently done with Anthem. 

But I digress, this will almost definitely keep my interest until CyberPunk drops in Spring.