A 2nd EU referendum

Adamski

A 2nd EU referendum  

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

An interesting article.

My point, is one of unintended consequences. "Events, dear boy", as Churchill once put it...

A no deal Brexit would be a massive event, and there's no doubt there would be huge disruption for months (at least). But it's almost impossible to predict how things would play out (Krugman points out the inexact science that economists rely on).

The EU itself could crumble (unlikely, but not out of the question). Let's not pretend that they'll not be harmed by this, and plenty of other EU countries have anti EU sentiment.

Harold Macmillan, dear boy...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of people on here don't respect the democratic vote.

1. The vote wasn’t on the level.

2. Even if it were, it’s plain the government is unable to provide the desired outcome of that (advisory, non binding) referendum.

3. In democracies, you get the opportunity to make up for egregious mistakes.

4. A second referendum could be reworded to “rejoin the EU”. Different time, different issue.

Edit: on a wider point, I think Trump’s proven to be far worse than folk feared. Mulligans would be widely accepted on that one too.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:
20 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:
Harold Macmillan, dear boy...

I stand corrected.

Actually, according to Wiki quotes he probably didn't say it, so you were equally correct with Winston Churchill not saying it, either. :)

I have only ever seen it attributed to Macmillan, all the same.

May’s proposal is absolutely awful; just terrible.  However it’s better than No Deal.  Hopefully the overwhelming majority of people will realise these are not the only two options.

It's a choice like getting your gonads chopped off with a cleaver or bitten off by a rottweiler - neither "choice" is very appealing.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:
2 hours ago, Fullerene said:
That is like Captain Smith of Titanic saying "we are not going to hit an iceberg today because we didn't hit one yesterday."

Fucking hell that is one horrendous analogy.

People predicted disaster if we voted Brexit.  Some predicted this would happen on the day after the vote - and they were wrong.  Does that mean disaster is averted or simply delayed.

Tell you what.  Rent a small plane and try to fly it to New Zealand.  Get somebody to predict you will run out of fuel shortly after take off.  If they are wrong, you'll be fine and you'll make it all the way to New Zealand - or maybe not.

People predicted disaster if we voted Brexit.  Some predicted this would happen on the day after the vote - and they were wrong.  Does that mean disaster is averted or simply delayed.
Tell you what.  Rent a small plane and try to fly it to New Zealand.  Get somebody to predict you will run out of fuel shortly after take off.  If they are wrong, you'll be fine and you'll make it all the way to New Zealand - or maybe not.
You have to stop trying to force analogies.

Your first paragraph is one I completely agree with. The fact it didn't completely collapse after the vote does not mean it won't happen after Brexit. But it does show that the predictors of catastrophe are not always right.

Economics and politics are particularly difficult to predict.

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Your first paragraph is one I completely agree with. The fact it didn't completely collapse after the vote does not mean it won't happen after Brexit. But it does show that the predictors of catastrophe are not always right.

Good point.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

And as for political economics - sheeesh!

13 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It doesn't help that when economists are asked what might happen they model many various scenarios but only the very worst or best outcome is ever reported. Because the B of E's worst possible model didn't happen doesn't mean their work was faulty or biased.

15 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

It's not that black and white though. You could do a deal for fuel and get enough to get you to Indonesia - but you won't get that fuel if you insist on wanting more. Indonesia is f**k all use to you but it's not the UK and whilst it's chalk and cheese with NZ it'll have to do as it's all you can get. 

1 hour ago, LincolnHearts said:

Liberalism is an illness.

Take that to the (non-British owned) bank.

Absolutely correct, my good sir.

The only viable way forward is to abolish the capitalist system completely, none of this wishy-washy "mixed economy" nonsense.

Archived