Livingston v St Mirren

15 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:
Try growing up in the Midlands in the 80s as a St Mirren fan. THAT'S character building emoji38.png

St who????

Yeah, exactly. Everyone supported Liverpool or Everton. Some of them even supported Coventry. I don't have an English team at all; never saw the point. :thumsup2

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:06, crispy said:

I think that's an interesting view. I know some people who would insist that the family team is followed. Since most families are either one generation out of Glasgow (mostly) or Edinburgh then children born into Livingston tend to inherit a team.

When people criticise the Livi support I'm not sure who the criticism is directed at - the people that do to watch them (what else can they do?) or the people who live in West Lothian and are not going to watch Livi (either abandon 'their' team or become a football fan)?

I didn't criticise the Livi fans!

My criticism was directed at a club that was moved from its city to another town and then used over spending and administration to cheat its way to success!!

If you're happy to support that then go for it!

2 hours ago, Iabella Duke said:

I didn't criticise the Livi fans!

My criticism was directed at a club that was moved from its city to another town and then used over spending and administration to cheat its way to success!!

I think the main fact your missing here is that it was over 23 years ago. It literally happened before I was born so why should I care? I've grown up supporting the only team I've ever known and wouldn't have it another way. 

I think we've more than repaid our pain/debt with multiple administrations/threats of the club dying/relegations enough to enjoy arguably the best time in the club's history. This team has consistently had one of the lowest budgets in whatever league it was in, Championship or Premiership and still defied the odds. 

The only thing it comes off as now is a wee bit of jealousy :D 

3 hours ago, Iabella Duke said:

Ok, I think I understand your point: your criticism and dislike is directed at the brand/name/badge of Livingston.

Thanks for keeping up the exchange. I'm genuinely keen (and disengaged at work!) to understand your perspective and anyone else on the thread. A couple of questions I have, and happy to take some in return, ....

Would you criticise Bill Hunter, who took Meadowbank, out of Edinburgh but didn't overspend? I mean, would that re-brand and distance temporarily/perpetually be worth the 'plastic' label?

What distance is acceptable for a change of stadium?

Are Clyde 'plastic', what about Caley Thistle?  And, why?

Is the label of 'cheat' also directed at the Livi board that followed the "over spending" board?

Do you think our return to the 3rd division has effectively wiped any benefit of over-spending or that we are still reaping the benefit now? Or is it just a case that the 3rd place finish and League Cup honour is written into history? 

I'm willing to accept that some of these questions are nonesense but then isn't that the point of a forum like this?

20 minutes ago, Snooky said:

Crispy, I continue to admire your efforts to reason with that absolute fanny. Great patience!!!

Haha, I genuinely feel there is a non-Livi post in this material! And there’s a dissertation in it.

Aberdeen are moving 7 miles and keeping their name = not plastic?

Clyde moved 12 miles and kept their name = not plastic?

Livingston haven’t moved anywhere = plastic?

I’m just brain-storming... :lol:

40 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Falkirk to Grangemouth.

Airdrie to their new ground, then liquidated and bought over another team's registration and played as Airdrie Utd at said new ground.

I’m going to compile all of this into a vaguely coherent standalone post which includes factors influencing team supported! 

So far parameters include: team name, district/town/city name, distance, presence of green belt, registrations, administrations, family ties, place of birth, place of residence, size of home/away crowd... 

4 hours ago, crispy said:

I’m going to compile all of this into a vaguely coherent standalone post which includes factors influencing team supported! 

So far parameters include: team name, district/town/city name, distance, presence of green belt, registrations, administrations, family ties, place of birth, place of residence, size of home/away crowd... 

Good stuff, you're going to have quite a list of clubs 'cheating their way to success', Also at the time of our first admin it was quite common to overspend and have large overdraughts, just we had no assets to call on to stop the bank whipping the rug from under us. To go into the finer points of our financial mismanagement and absolute crook of a Chairman for our 2nd admin the troll would be better reading through the Livingston thread to get his/her facts right. There was a bit more to it than simply 'cheating our way to success'. Keane didn't deliberately do it and Massone was just a fly by night chancer doing a smash and grab, who got as much money as he could while deliberately trying to put us into liquidation. But pardon us Livi fans for sticking with the club after being put into the 3rd div and going through some tough times before we got to where we are now, we've no shame for being loyal supporters.

19 hours ago, crispy said:

Ok, I think I understand your point: your criticism and dislike is directed at the brand/name/badge of Livingston.

Thanks for keeping up the exchange. I'm genuinely keen (and disengaged at work!) to understand your perspective and anyone else on the thread. A couple of questions I have, and happy to take some in return, ....

Would you criticise Bill Hunter, who took Meadowbank, out of Edinburgh but didn't overspend? I mean, would that re-brand and distance temporarily/perpetually be worth the 'plastic' label?

What distance is acceptable for a change of stadium?

Are Clyde 'plastic', what about Caley Thistle?  And, why?

Is the label of 'cheat' also directed at the Livi board that followed the "over spending" board?

Do you think our return to the 3rd division has effectively wiped any benefit of over-spending or that we are still reaping the benefit now? Or is it just a case that the 3rd place finish and League Cup honour is written into history? 

I'm willing to accept that some of these questions are nonesense but then isn't that the point of a forum like this?

Answers to your, in order:

1. Yes

2. Any, as long as its within the same town / city

3. Yes

4. Yes

5. Moved out of home city / merger against the wishes of fans of one of the clubs involved

6. Yes. they never repaid the debt. I couldn't care less about the internal management changes!

7. No, totally irrelevant!

Archived