Dundee vs. Sevco - 9/12/18

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, weegienative said:

But since you raise the issue I'll ask. Why is singing about killing Catholics not ok (let's assume that's the definition), but singing about killing Dundee Utd fans is fine? Doesn't that seem a really strange logic?

There is, of course, mileage in this debate.  You have two problems, though.  1. We were thoroughly inept today. Let's not mask this by debating songs as it smacks of infantile sour grapes.  2. Any argument that starts with, "Their songs are also shite" is simply heading down a cul-de-sac.

There are lots of threads about this topic.  You have strong views so feel welcome to express them there and I will happily support you.

Who's in debt? [emoji3]
This should be fun.

The club has loans of over £20 million. Loans are a form of debt. Regardless of whether these will ever be repaid, highly unlikely in the **** case, the club is still in debt.

Simple enough?

In fairness, Dundee started with Martin Woods, which is the same thing.

Don't get this 'hate'for Woods- only a Miller hatrick stopped him getting MOTM on Wednesday and another competent display here other than one duffed corner. Perhaps he responds better with a manager that has some faith in his abilities
[emoji4]

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

There is, of course, mileage in this debate.  You have two problems, though.  1. We were thoroughly inept today. Let's not mask this by debating songs as it smacks of infantile sour grapes.  2. Any argument that starts with, "Their songs are also shite" is simply heading down a cul-de-sac.

There are lots of threads about this topic.  You have strong views so feel welcome to express them there and I will happily support you.

^^^Yer da

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

My point actually started before the match, it just so happens to have carried on through. There's no masking that shite today. Even clinging on to the wrongly chopped off goal would be masking a bigger problem and I'm glad gerrard didn't in his post match interview.

I've got a massive problem with hypocrisy and someone trying to claim he moral high ground whilst his own fans sing up to our knees in Arab blood is problematic.

Again, the act of a coward, keyboard warrior. Address the point. If it's as ridiculous as you are trying to insinuate then it should be easy to dismantle. Let's see if you have the brain cells to attempt it and make a c**t of yourself.

In my view the difference is that we have a fairly friendly rivalry (relatively speaking) with United and whilst the derby matches are passionate and fiercely contested no one gets battered or stabbed. The fans leave the ground at the same time (gosh!) and head home or to the pub. When we sing ‘up to our knees in Arab blood’ it’s cos we nicked a daft Rangers* song.

Your version is worse because there’s a religious angle and an anti Irish angle. It’s linked to the troubles in Ireland. A chunk of your fanbase are in the Orange Order or, at the very least, wear orange scarves and/or orange jackets. You sing songs about King Billy and despite what anyone claims Orangemen hate the Irish and catholics. Regular folk in Northern Ireland still get battered/killed simply because of their religion.

This in my view is why, although the songs sound the same, your version is ‘worse’. I’d defend your right to sing it mind, as it’s a song at the football. Who really gives a f**k?

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

The club has loans of over £20 million. Loans are a form of debt. Regardless of whether these will ever be repaid, highly unlikely in the **** case, the club is still in debt.

Simple enough?

They are loans converted to equity. Jesus, if you're going to come into a forum for a league you're little team aren't even in, at least don't make an arse of yourself.

53 minutes ago, gannonball said:

They are absolutely sure Collum is biased simply because they think he is ‘one ae them’ whilst causally ignoring the fact he gave them a penalty for the Old Rangers whilst facing the wrong way ffs :lol:

For the record Im not insinuating he is biased either, just a man who is terrible at his job.

Aye, nothing worse than a bad R.E. teacher...

That article is from last month, anything to back up your claim that back in 2010 Celtic instigated a ref strike due to years of.... "anti Irish racism"

6 minutes ago, weegienative said:

My point actually started before the match, it just so happens to have carried on through. There's no masking that shite today. Even clinging on to the wrongly chopped off goal would be masking a bigger problem and I'm glad gerrard didn't in his post match interview.

I've got a massive problem with hypocrisy and someone trying to claim he moral high ground whilst his own fans sing up to our knees in Arab blood is problematic.

I thought you didn't care about the singing at a football match?

1 minute ago, Daydream said:

In my view the difference is that we have a fairly friendly rivalry (relatively speaking) with United and whilst the derby matches are passionate and fiercely contested no one gets battered or stabbed. The fans leave the ground at the same time (gosh!) and head home or to the pub. When we sing ‘up to our knees in Arab blood’ it’s cos we nicked a daft Rangers* song.

Your version is worse because there’s a religious angle and an anti Irish angle. It’s linked to the troubles in Ireland. A chunk of your fanbase are in the Orange Order or, at the very least, wear orange scarves and/or orange jackets. You sing songs about King Billy and despite what anyone claims Orangemen hate the Irish and catholics. Regular folk in Northern Ireland still get battered/killed simply because of their religion.

This in my view is why, although the songs sound the same, your version is ‘worse’. I’d defend your right to sing it mind, as it’s a song at the football. Who really gives a f**k?

Thank you for being the only person on here to give a proper answer. Ultimately the last sentence of your post is correct, but unfortunately this is not a view shared throughout Scotland and my viewpoint is one which is never raised despite it being valid. 

The old firm derby is ramped up by the media because it sells papers, by the police because they can justify overtime, by the government because they can pass laws which deflect from their failings in pretty much all aspects of a government and by anti sectarian groups because it secures funding. Both sets of fans leave the ground at the same time and are segregated for a grand total of about 200 yards outside the stadium. If they wanted to have mass battles, they could easily do so. There are very little arrests at the games and all the trouble comes later when folk are pished having been out drinking all day. As I said previously, it gets ramped up in the media because it keeps too many people in a job for them to admit the truth.

When it comes down to it, no one singing those songs actually wants to kill anyone, or if they do, a song at the football isn't the cause of it. If we are to take the songs literally as the above groups wish to do, then murder is murder regardless of the motive.

7 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

That article is from last month, anything to back up your claim that back in 2010 Celtic instigated a ref strike due to years of.... "anti Irish racism"

Please feel free to Google this to the nth extent. I don't have the inclination to do it past page 1.

Lennon was only too happy to push his narrative back then as he was the other week. As were the various media outlets which are "friendly" with Celtic.

Another disappointing performance on the back of Wednesday. Discussion on the way back down the road; that we would surely have settled for being two points behind the Hoops (having played a game more) going into the Christmas/New Year fixtures,the table doesn’t lie, we’re in 2nd spot etc..

General consensus however, that it IS misleading, again we simply weren’t good enough against a side, albeit an improving one, given recent results, but who played with 10 men for 70 minutes.

Gerrard must be getting increasingly frustrated at the way we can hold much of the ball, but create so little in getting behind teams to create chances. Defensively we were also pedestrian this afternoon, Miller couldn’t believe his luck poaching the opener, great to see the wee man back amongst the goals recently btw and deserved the applause from both sets of fans when he was replaced.

Halliday’s equaliser was a belter and from what I understand we should have gone ahead through Lafferty’s tap in that was called offside. Even a soft sending off (imho) didn’t give us the impetus to drive forward and get behind their reduced numbers on the park.

Worrall, Rossiter (how many chances do we give him) & Grezda were all poor today and both Barisic and Ejaria when they came on; just not good enough in terms of urgency or quality.

Boyle, Curran, Kerr and the big lad Kusunga battled throughout for the home side, and thoroughly deserved their point.

A step forward and two steps back last few weeks Rangers, hope Stevie G has a few changes in mind come January.

Archived