Dundee vs. Sevco - 9/12/18

For weegiethickasshite from an United supporters site:

"There have been several stories regarding the origins of the Arabs term. The most popular view is that the name was coined during the severe winter of the 1962-63 season.

The weather was so bad, with heavy snow and ice that refused to thaw, that between December and March, Dundee United were able to play only three times. The worst winter on record for years wiped out the Dundee derby match on 2nd January and a frozen pitch knocked out the match against Third Lanark to begin three weeks of inactivity on the pitch.

Snow-blowers were not enough, as the real problem was ice beneath the snow - the winter freeze, which had even created large ice flows on the river Tay, caused United's Scottish Cup tie against Albion Rovers to be postponed four times. Desperate to get the tie played before the next round of the Cup was due, the management hired a squad of 25 workmen to break up the ice with picks. When this also didn't work, Club manager Jerry Kerr arranged for industrial tar burners to be brought in to melt two inch thick ice from the pitch. This resulted in the pitch being waterlogged with very little grass left. 

The management then arranged for several lorry loads of coarse sand to be spread across the barren surface, and the regulation pitch markings were then painted on top in an effort to make the pitch playable. Astonishingly, the referee pronounced the pitch acceptable and the match went ahead, at the fith time of asking, on 26th January. It cost United over £600 but it was money well spent.

The conditions were described by one reporter as 'Sahara-like' and by another as 'a beach after the tide had gone out'. Although both teams struggled in the sand, United eventually adapted to the strange surface, and advanced to the next round of the Cup with goals from Jim Irvine, Dennis Gillespie and Bert Howieson, all in the final fifteen minutes of a 3-0 victory. In news reports a few days later United were likened to the 'Desert Rats', so well did they adapt to playing on the sand, and with the new all white strip which had been introduced for the first time that season, other observers were prompted to comment that the players had taken to the sand like 'Arabs'.

United didn't play another match at Tannadice unitil the start of May, but following on from the Cup tie against the Rovers, United went on to defeat Ayr United in the 4th Round, Queens Park in the 5th Round and Queen of the South in the Quarter Finals - a marathon tie that took three games to find a winner, with United winning the 2nd replay 4-0 at Ibrox. United then faced Rangers at Hampden in the Club's first ever National Semi Final, coming back from 2 goals down to level the match before half time. However Rangers went on to win 5-2 and went through to face Celtic in the Final.

The United Supporters quickly hijacked the name 'Arabs' for themselves, with the next few matches witnessing some fans wearing crude approximations of Arab headgear. However, the practice never became widespread until the late 1970s and early 1980s when it was seen at cup Semi Finals and Finals and by the early 1990s even the official club souvenir shops were selling replicas of Arab Keffiyehs in tangerine and black. By that time the term 'Arabs' had become more widely used, largely as the result of regular references to it by the popular United fanzine The Final Hurdle, which first appeared in 1988. The term has since been firmly connected with Dundee United supporters, with many Supporters Clubs using in it their Club names.

It is now a fairly common mistake among tabloid sports journalists to confuse the use of the term 'Arabs', using it to describe the team instead of the fans. Just as the Hibees are the team while the Hibbies are the fans, and the Jam Tarts are the team while the Jambos are the fans, Dundee United are the TERRORS while their supporters are the ARABS."

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

You're right in that words can have more than one meaning and that '******' can be used as a political/historic description.  We also all know that '******' is a well-used slang term for Catholics - and has been since, at least, the 1960s.  

That others use terms and expressions which are dubious is unquestionable.  That we should use this to justify our own unacceptable language is execrable.

It's a song ffs. I really couldn't give a damn what anyone sings about at the football.

But since you raise the issue I'll ask. Why is singing about killing Catholics not ok (let's assume that's the definition), but singing about killing Dundee Utd fans is fine? Doesn't that seem a really strange logic?

It's almost as though political correctness is a load of shite....

1 minute ago, weegienative said:

No one thinks collum is biased. Just crap.

Absolute lies.  On here I have seen fans of Sevco, Hearts and even an  Aberdeen fan claim he is biased.

If you stumble over to the likes of Rangers media Im sure you will find pages about the guy being biased.

It's a song ffs. I really couldn't give a damn what anyone sings about at the football.
But since you raise the issue I'll ask. Why is singing about killing Catholics not ok (let's assume that's the definition), but singing about killing Dundee Utd fans is fine? Doesn't that seem a really strange logic?
It's almost as though political correctness is a load of shite....
The absolute state of this [emoji38]

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

Absolute lies.  On here I have seen fans of Sevco, Hearts and even an  Aberdeen fan claim he is biased.

If you stumble over to the likes of Rangers media Im sure you will find pages about the guy being biased.

Celtic instigated a ref strike due to years of.... "anti Irish racism" haha and you're going to talk to me about paranoid fans.

Online forums of any team will always have punters certain a refs against them. 

Most folk I know and sit beside at the games used to actually prefer Collum getting the games because he was a bit robotic and was generally consistent if nothing else, but he's got worse of late.

3 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

The absolute state of this emoji38.png

Again, the act of a coward, keyboard warrior. Address the point. If it's as ridiculous as you are trying to insinuate then it should be easy to dismantle. Let's see if you have the brain cells to attempt it and make a c**t of yourself.

1 minute ago, weegienative said:

Celtic instigated a ref strike due to years of.... "anti Irish racism" haha and you're going to talk to me about paranoid fans.

Online forums of any team will always have punters certain a refs against them. 

Most folk I know and sit beside at the games used to actually prefer Collum getting the games because he was a bit robotic and was generally consistent if nothing else, but he's got worse of late.

Nope we do have paranoid fans, Im not disputing this. Unless you are talking about a different referee strike you are lying AGAIN.

Anyway well done Dundee for today, they have turned Sevco fans like weegienative, bob etc into lying seething messes.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

All your advantages and still you greet about stuff.  

Yes, it was a bad decision, but don't pretend you want an even playing field.  You want the illusion of fairness.

Was it onside or off side?

Equal playing field and Rangers are top of the league by a considerable distance 

Again, the act of a coward, keyboard warrior. Address the point. If it's as ridiculous as you are trying to insinuate then it should be easy to dismantle. Let's see if you have the brain cells to attempt it and make a c**t of yourself.
You'd better watch your tears don't short your keyboard out [emoji38]

Probably not that difficult to dismantle you hilariously equating Catholicism with supporting Dundee United tbh.

Thick *** c**t [emoji38]

8 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Nope we do have paranoid fans, Im not disputing this. Unless you are talking about a different referee strike you are lying AGAIN.

Anyway well done Dundee for today, they have turned Sevco fans like weegienative, bob etc into lying seething messes.

Who's a seething mess? :D haha

Unlike most on here i like football, it doesn't dominate my life. We've dropped 5 stupid points in the last  week through our own shite play. What more is there to say?

Incidentally I don't actually mind fans of Celtic having a pop. It's natural. It's when fans of shite clubs like Dundee think they are important the 4 times a year the old firm teams roll into town.

And lying? About what? The ref strike?https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj7iv7nrJPfAhVKyxoKHVY4AAoQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Ffootball%2F2010%2Fnov%2F21%2Freferees-scottish-premier-league-strike&psig=AOvVaw26dCdtI5JO4Jf7f4MOZUWy&ust=1544465589666916

Your own chairman at the time seems to be one of the paranoid fans you speak of.

11 minutes ago, weegienative said:

The fuckin state of you:lol:

Archived