Third versus first

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.A disappointed Steve Clarke has vowed that our 5-1 defeat against champions Celtic won't define the club's season heading into the final pre-winter break push.

A double from James Forrest and goals from Mikael Lustig, Ryan Christie and Odsonne Edouard gave the reigning champions a comfortably victory with Eamonn Brophy's penalty proving to be Killie's only reason for cheer.

The manager reflected on the loss, saying: "Celtic were very good – very, very good.

"They started quicker than us and got their noses in front. We then lost our shape a little bit and our discipline too. But Celtic looked more alert right from the off.

"That probably has something to do from the fact that they had seven fresh players and we’re going to the well with the same players.

"It was especially difficult for my back four. I thought our two full-backs looked a little bit jaded and both of them played into the middle of June with the Scotland teams.

"Stuart Findlay also dragged himself off the treatment table without any training this week. He said he would play to try and help the team so we thank him.

"I also asked big Scott Boyd after the game how long ago he played three games in a week and he couldn’t tell me, so that’s how long ago was.

"That made it difficult for us, but take nothing away from Celtic.

"With the make-up of our squad we have to rely on our players and it was unfortunate for us to have this game after two great results for us against Hibs and Livingston."

Killie now host Dundee before away trips to Hamilton and Motherwell before finishing off at home v St Mirren.

The loss in Glasgow rounds off a long week for Killie following victories over Hibernian and Livingston.

He added: "Those are the games we have to win if we’re going to be competitive at the top of the table. It was just unfortunate we had to come here for our third game in a week.

"But we will learn our lessons and make sure next time we come back here we do a little bit better.

"Like I told to the lads afterwards, these games are not season defining for us. Games against Celtic and Rangers away don’t define our season.

"It’s against teams of similar stature to Kilmarnock that’ll decide whether we are competitive in the top half or not. This one is a sore one to take because it’s difficult to lose a game like that but we’ll learn lessons and recover."

.A disappointed Steve Clarke has vowed that our 5-1 defeat against champions Celtic won't define the club's season heading into the final pre-winter break push.
A double from James Forrest and goals from Mikael Lustig, Ryan Christie and Odsonne Edouard gave the reigning champions a comfortably victory with Eamonn Brophy's penalty proving to be Killie's only reason for cheer.
The manager reflected on the loss, saying: "Celtic were very good – very, very good.
"They started quicker than us and got their noses in front. We then lost our shape a little bit and our discipline too. But Celtic looked more alert right from the off.

"That probably has something to do from the fact that they had seven fresh players and we’re going to the well with the same players.
"It was especially difficult for my back four. I thought our two full-backs looked a little bit jaded and both of them played into the middle of June with the Scotland teams.
"Stuart Findlay also dragged himself off the treatment table without any training this week. He said he would play to try and help the team so we thank him.
"I also asked big Scott Boyd after the game how long ago he played three games in a week and he couldn’t tell me, so that’s how long ago was.
"That made it difficult for us, but take nothing away from Celtic.
"With the make-up of our squad we have to rely on our players and it was unfortunate for us to have this game after two great results for us against Hibs and Livingston."
Killie now host Dundee before away trips to Hamilton and Motherwell before finishing off at home v St Mirren.
The loss in Glasgow rounds off a long week for Killie following victories over Hibernian and Livingston.
He added: "Those are the games we have to win if we’re going to be competitive at the top of the table. It was just unfortunate we had to come here for our third game in a week.
"But we will learn our lessons and make sure next time we come back here we do a little bit better.
"Like I told to the lads afterwards, these games are not season defining for us. Games against Celtic and Rangers away don’t define our season.
"It’s against teams of similar stature to Kilmarnock that’ll decide whether we are competitive in the top half or not. This one is a sore one to take because it’s difficult to lose a game like that but we’ll learn lessons and recover."
Can't argue with any of that.

54 minutes ago, 2 for a Foil said:

Reality check there, can’t help feeling like the media set us up for a fall today. Fair play to Celtic they were too good today. We move on, got a great run of games coming up to bounce back.

The only person that set you up for a fall is your absolute fraud of a manager.

Fantastic performance today, especially the first half.  Unplayable at times.  A showing like this against Salzburg and we've a great chance of European fitba after Christmas. 

Given the superb job Clarke has done at Killie, I can see them bouncing back from this rather quickly. 

Kilmarnock fans getting a dose of what we got in the 6-0 game, Celtic are light years ahead of anyone in this division when they're up for it, absolutely no point reading anything from games like this.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kilmarnock fans getting a dose of what we got in the 6-0 game, Celtic are light years ahead of anyone in this division when they're up for it, absolutely no point reading anything from games like this.

Agreed. The media had built this game up like it was a cup final - in that perspective it's easy to feel like something ended today, but realistically we just got our baws felt by a far better team, no bearing on what the players have achieved in the last twelve months, and will achieve over the next five.

Kilmarnock were exposed for what they are today. A team of journeymen and honest pros who get decent results more weeks than not because they actually have a coach who knows what they’re doing. Biggest game of the season on Thursday. HH

37 minutes ago, paddymcp said:

Kilmarnock were exposed for what they are today. A team of journeymen and honest pros who get decent results more weeks than not because they actually have a coach who knows what they’re doing. Biggest game of the season on Thursday. HH

Not sure if this is a compliment or an insult?

Noticed the stadium was half full at the end.Pretty poor show from the so called "best fans in the world" who have just seen their team go top of the league in what was one of their best performances in a long time in the SPFL.

Not sure if this is a compliment or an insult?
Noticed the stadium was half full at the end.Pretty poor show from the so called "best fans in the world" who have just seen their team go top of the league in what was one of their best performances in a long time in the SPFL.
Obviously nothing to do with the terrible weather and the game being dead since before half time.

And you could argue several other performances recently were better such as 4-2 v Hibs, 5-0 v Hearts, 5-0 v Dundee, 3-0 v Hearts in the semi, 6-0 v St Johnstone so don't flatter yourself.

42 minutes ago, WeeMentalDavie said:

Obviously nothing to do with the terrible weather and the game being dead since before half time.

And you could argue several other performances recently were better such as 4-2 v Hibs, 5-0 v Hearts, 5-0 v Dundee, 3-0 v Hearts in the semi, 6-0 v St Johnstone so don't flatter yourself.

Not my thoughts but those of Brenda who said it was one of the best since he cae to the club.

2 hours ago, WeeMentalDavie said:

Not according to Brenda, who said in his post match interview, it was one of the best performances since he arrived at Celtic Park.

Archived