Standard of officiating

11 minutes ago, Ross. said:

were all refs you instantly winced at upon reading their name as the ref for your game. 

I can honestly say I've never checked who a ref is going to be for a match I'm going to watch and even during a game, 99% of the time, I have no idea who he/she is anyway.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, killiekranky said:

I have seen Andrew Dallas in action from his days as a nervous, unpredictable teenager refereeing in The West of Scotland 21s League to a officious and incompetent young referee in the Juniors before graduating to complete Thunderquont in the seniors and his rise to the top remains a complete mystery to me.

Mystery solved

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Someone on twitter saying the spfl are welcome to trail var on live Scottish matches. Not sure how much truth is behind this but none the less it’s something that desperately needs added to our game.

BT Sport are offering to do it, but it would be a nonsense to intoduce it for some games but not all.

44 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I was at a fans meeting with McInnes and Docherty at the start of the season and they went on about the Refs being the worst standard they have ever watched.  

........allegedly.

24 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

You'd also hear, and possibly be surprised at, the absolute abuse they get from some players.

I once got a yellow card for swearing at a ref then a red in the second half for blasphemy. 

33 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

I can honestly say I've never checked who a ref is going to be for a match I'm going to watch and even during a game, 99% of the time, I have no idea who he/she is anyway.

Watching the Bankies games it was definitely something I paid attention to. Clancy and Cook in particular, you knew instantly that the game would be a horrendous spectacle. Both seemingly oblivious to the fact that players can make contact with each other without it having to be a foul to one side or the other.

Where would different refs come from? Is the suggestion to hire refs from other leagues?

I'm not really that bothered by refs making mistakes. It's the shitebaggery of the review stuff that I hate, as well as the ludicrous comments made by managers. Anyone that ever says a ref has caused someone their job is disgustingly thick. If cards can be rescinded and retrospective punishment can be taken then that would be fine, but we've seen that the system here is fucked and full of nasty wee SFA bigots out for their half of the cheek only.

I also don't think refs decide games, as they aren't the ones missing chances/mishitting passes/making a great save etc. Refs are too easy an target and allow managers and players to abdicate responsibility and just cry about the ref, and thicko fans lap it up. I always laugh when managers are in tears saying that a ref should phone up and apologise, yet never say that their diving cheating players should call the ref and apologise. 

There's far too much emphasis on refs now, and far too much is scrutinised. I reckon if this level of scrutiny was seen in previous eras the refs of yesteryear would get just as much of a slagging.

I think they aren't respected at all by the players, and you can see this by the jaw jacking given to them, and this in turn means they aren't respected by managers and coaches etc. There should be a rule that any shouting at the ref is a yellow card. Crowding the ref is a yellow card. Make it so that only the captain can talk to the ref. No exceptions. This would hopefully stop the shit quickly, especially after a load of players are red carded in one game. If that's what it takes, so be it. 

I'd also allow refs to give their views after games. They can explain their decision and I think it would help quite a bit. 

But absolutely nothing will happen.

Why do they put up with it ? Rugby refs don't. 

Exactly this, yes refereeing is pretty poor in the SPFL & its really come into focus in the last couple of weeks, but, players are like petulant schoolchildren.
I’ve yet to see a referee change a decision after being surrounded by a baying mob of players. So why bother?
The Captain & player involved in any contentious issue should be allowed to speak to the ref to explain / give their viewpoint.
Any other player approaching the ref - straight red.
It’s filtered down to kids football now which is hilarious seeing seven 8 year old kids surrounding a ref.

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Can't think of any debatable decisions done with VAR at world cup other than handball.

The handball rule will always create controversy because it contains a subjective element to it with the whole 'deliberate' rule.  

Yeah, throughout the World Cup every use of VAR for decisions other than handball resulted in a blatantly correct decision being made which no one could even debate. That every controversy around it was over a handball decision says that the issue is the handball rule, not VAR.

Anyway, like many people I get seething at referees, but looking at it in hindsight you can see that many people do overstate how bad they are and appreciate why they get decisions wrong. For example with the benefit of watching it back you can see that Cosgrove's second booking for Aberdeen last night is obviously ridiculous, but from McLean's position you can see why he'd think it was a foul by Cosgrove. So, while he's made the wrong decision, calling him a terrible referee for it would be unreasonable, although you do have to ask what the linesman was playing at.

However, Andrew Dallas is quite blatantly an appalling referee with no redeeming features who has no place being anywhere near any level of football. He doesn't understand the rules, his temperament and therefore game management are terrible and that's why the vast majority of games he referees descend into farce with both teams getting completely frustrated with his inability to do anything at all right.

Every fan, journalist, player, manager and referee in the country knows the only reason he was ever allowed to ascend beyond volunteering is because of who his dad is. His dad knows it and he must know it too. He has never done a thing to merit his position. Get him in the fucking bin.

14 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Exactly this, yes refereeing is pretty poor in the SPFL & its really come into focus in the last couple of weeks, but, players are like petulant schoolchildren.
I’ve yet to see a referee change a decision after being surrounded by a baying mob of players. So why bother?
The Captain & player involved in any contentious issue should be allowed to speak to the ref to explain / give their viewpoint.
Any other player approaching the ref - straight red.
It’s filtered down to kids football now which is hilarious seeing seven 8 year old kids surrounding a ref.

I've always wondered why they do it anyway. Referees never change their mind (although I'm sure someone will now point out the 1 or 2 exceptions).

I've always wondered why they do it anyway. Referees never change their mind (although I'm sure someone will now point out the 1 or 2 exceptions).

I suppose they are trying to influence future decisions- maybe?
I also can’t recall any decisions being reversed because of it either.
Rugby has certainly got it right as far as refereeing is concerned. Just a pity they play an inferior sport.

Guest Bob Mahelp

There are two aspects to this....the first is the criminal incompetence certain referees show on a regular basis.

The second is the fact that these same referees keep on getting appointed to top league games, or cup finals.

There are quite a few guilty of incompetence, but the name Andrew Dallas is now popping up regularly. Pretty much every game I've seen him in this season he's been on the verge of losing control...or in the case of Hearts v Hibs, lost control all together.

He's now combining his lack of ability to keep control with some season changing f*ck ups, such as the penalty on Sunday. He's the kind of sweating, screaming referee that replaces calm ability with hyper-intensive pointing and general all-round arrogance.....professional footballers must detest him, because most fans do.

And yet he's a FIFA referee (nominated by the SFA) who seems to be on the fast track no matter what he does, how much control he loses, or how many abysmal mistakes he makes.

F*ck the SFA.

There is meant to be one set of rules regardless of the league they are officiating in the problem is their no consistency on how they apply them, players do try it on simply because with some they can get away with it. There certainly needs to be more dialogue between refs & players possibly before going on the field rather than all the finger pointing & wagging that goes between them on the park.

50 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Rugby has certainly got it right as far as refereeing is concerned. Just a pity they play an inferior sport.

From a refereeing and disciplinary standpoint football and rugby are  miles apart. People often claim rugby players have more respect for referees but I think it is more basic. In rugby, giving away a penalty in your own half is as good as handing the opposition 3 points and also in rugby being a man down is a greater disadvantage than it is in football. There's plenty of nonsense going on in a rugby match but in general players and coaches know that indiscipline can cost them.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I'd also allow refs to give their views after games. They can explain their decision and I think it would help quite a bit. 

Didn't the SFA go through a spell of issuing referees statements in their website a few years ago? I recall hearing that they stopped due to issues around the appeals process.  While semi legal proceedings were ongoing the SFA and the clubs (and probably referees too) didn't want anything said which would prejudice the outcome. I'm not sure if there would be any point in referees making statements anyway - do you seriously think it would changes anyone's opinion?

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:
2 hours ago, betting competition said:

I was at a fans meeting with McInnes and Docherty at the start of the season and they went on about the Refs being the worst standard they have ever watched.  

........allegedly

Setting out the siege mentality early.

Archived