Standard of officiating

diving and players looking for fouls is the bigger problem.

Refs get absolute dogs abuse, quite rightly at times and it's a bit of a laugh too.  but when managers start saying playing against 12 men that's too far.   How about more managers start calling out diving.  End of the day the game needs refs.

Collectively they've had a bad week or so but bad decisions have always happened.  We just didn't have the cameras.  managers' and players behaviour has gone downhill too in my book.  Cause and effect.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They do it all the time. The penalty decision last night was horrendous, genuinely one of the worst you'll ever see, but he was definitely doing it because he'd fucked up earlier.

They do do it all the time. Usually when they wrongly give a corner and the crowd go daft - you can bet as soon as the corner is taken they blow for a "foul" by an attacking player to avoid the embarrassment of a goal resulting.. But they don't usually  correct mistakes by awarding phantom penalties.

8 minutes ago, tirso said:

diving and players looking for fouls is the bigger problem.

Refs get absolute dogs abuse, quite rightly at times and it's a bit of a laugh too.  but when managers start saying playing against 12 men that's too far.   How about more managers start calling out diving.  End of the day the game needs refs.

Collectively they've had a bad week or so but bad decisions have always happened.  We just didn't have the cameras.  managers' and players behaviour has gone downhill too in my book.  Cause and effect.

I agree. They never seem to see their own players diving. And most teams have one or two divers. The televised matches should be reviewed and the worst dives given a retrospective yellow and 3 such yellows gets the manager a 3 game touchline ban and a fine. That would stop the worst of it very quickly.

3 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:
29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They do it all the time. The penalty decision last night was horrendous, genuinely one of the worst you'll ever see, but he was definitely doing it because he'd fucked up earlier.

They do do it all the time. Usually when they wrongly give a corner and the crowd go daft - you can bet as soon as the corner is taken they blow for a "foul" by an attacking player to avoid the embarrassment of a goal resulting.. But they don't usually  correct mistakes by awarding phantom penalties.

I've never really bought the argument that referees even it up. If they make a mistake and 50% of the crowd are on their back why would they deliberately make another mistake and annoy 100%. I don't go for conspiracy theories - mistakes are down to incompetence, nothing else.

58 minutes ago, peternapper said:

They cant be expected to be 100% correct all the time but how often do you see the linesman look to the ref to decide even whos throw in it is.

I'm never paying THAT much attention to a match.

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

As well as being a terrible referee, Andrew Dallas also seems to be a smug, greasy-haired little guy with small man syndrome. He reminds me of Percy Wetmore from ‘The Green Mile’.

I have seen Andrew Dallas in action from his days as a nervous, unpredictable teenager refereeing in The West of Scotland 21s League to a officious and incompetent young referee in the Juniors before graduating to complete Thunderquont in the seniors and his rise to the top remains a complete mystery to me.

Someone on twitter saying the spfl are welcome to trail var on live Scottish matches. Not sure how much truth is behind this but none the less it’s something that desperately needs added to our game.

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I think this is the problem, VAR is still only as good as the officials using it, so if people think there is bias from the officials then VAR won't help. 

I was reading about VAR in the Bundesliga where they have already had it for a season. It isn't very popular and there was talk of getting rid of it because they still felt there were a lot of mistakes being made and that refs could still interpret things as they saw fit rather than necessarily awarding a correct decision.

I watch a fair wee bit of the Bundlesliga, and the VAR has been a massive success.

The amount of goals/penalties/red cards that have been corrected by it far outweighs the few that are debatable.

16 minutes ago, killiekranky said:

I have seen Andrew Dallas in action from his days as a nervous, unpredictable teenager refereeing in The West of Scotland 21s League to a officious and incompetent young referee in the Juniors before graduating to complete Thunderquont in the seniors and his rise to the top remains a complete mystery to me.

Aye you could see he was destined for the top, unfortunately there seems to be plenty clones following in his footsteps. It surely says something about the standard in the country when no officials from here were involved in the last world cup as far as I am aware.

40 minutes ago, killiekranky said:

Presumably it's because of who his dad is?

3 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I genuinely don't think referee's are any better or worse than they've ever been, I think they probably have a lot of daft rules to follow that makes their job harder than it was 20 years ago........and I'm sure in the 90s people thought the same about referees when compared back to the 70s and 80s.  With the internet/enhanced TV coverage we now get to see more decisions and these are played over and over again.

I was at a fans meeting with McInnes and Docherty at the start of the season and they went on about the Refs being the worst standard they have ever watched.  

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Dallas is absolute fud, who ruins every game he refs and makes some absolutely bizarre decisions.

The Cup Final, and his horrendous mistake last night, should see him dropped a division or something. He'll likely be handed the highest profile match at the weekend.

That's not fair. We've already had him haunting us diddies for years.

Fwiw I've been really pleasantly surprised by the standard of refs since we dropped down a league. They let a lot more go, which I like, and (odd bizarre mistake aside) tend to be pretty consistent. Every few weeks a new one seems to appear, and almost every week they're alright. We're obviously going to lose to a howler of a decision on Saturday now.

Dallas is horrific at every aspect of officiating a game. He can't manage players, he isn't consistent, he doesn't seem to be great at paying attention, and he routinely bottles big decisions. I remember us playing Alloa at the Rock a few years ago, and Chris Duggan was pulled down by Ben Gordon as he broke through. His assistant (about 10 yards away) went tonto with the flag, but Dallas seemed to pretend not to notice by turning his back and then looking flustered. 

Nothing to do with the fact he'd have to have produced a red card inside the first 20 minutes of a vital game at the bottom of the table I'd assume...

Even in the Challenge Cup final he denied us a strong penalty shout by giving a free-kick the other way, then bottled giving Chris McLaughlin a second yellow after conceding a penalty for deliberate handball when a dangerous cross came into the area.

I don't like conspiracies, but he's absolutely been fast-tracked because of his old man.

Appreciate it was just a one-off incident (although I'm sure there are probably similar or worse examples) but you only have to look at the penalty Sterling got for Man City a few weeks ago against Shaktar to realise that refs are shite at all levels.  The refs for Champions League games are supposed to be the elite and even with 6 officials on or around the pitch they still got it wildly wrong.

VAR in Scotland would work although god knows how many time the OF would be looking for clarity around who the VAR officials were and what school they went to.

3 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Some of the guys who are fasttracked from the Juniors up the leagues (like Dallas) will be fasttracked because they stick to the exact rules of the game.  The referees who try to implement any form of common sense simply won't be promoted up.  Thats a shite situation but thats the way it happens.  There is a referee in the Juniors just now by the name of Callum Scott who is universally hated and people talk about him wrecking a game as soon as he is appointed.  He is next in line to be fasttracked up the leagues by all accounts.

I think the fast tracking aspect of it is a very big part of the problem. Dallas, Clancy, Cook, Madden and Collum, to pick the first 5 who come to mind that have been fast tracked over the last decade, were all refs you instantly winced at upon reading their name as the ref for your game. For me the biggest problem isn't the decision making as such(Dallas in the last 2 games having a good go at destroying my argument here), but their game management and in particular how they deal with players on the park. All of them are very poor at handling the players, which causes players to get frustrated, which makes the game harder to handle. To me, the big problem is lack of experience in dealing with players, which can only really come from moving slowly through the ranks. The flip side to that mind you is that there aren't enough referees coming through as it is. Slowing down the progression of the folk who do stick at it and want to move up the ladder would make that problem much more obvious at the top level.

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I think if you could hear what the refs are saying on the pitch they would need to clean up their act.

You'd also hear, and possibly be surprised at, the absolute abuse they get from some players.

Archived