Elgin City vs Albion Rovers

I am sitting in a nice warm cosy house thinking shall I go or not? So gutted about recent results, struggling to think when I last saw an Elgin goal. 

Incredibly a couple of good results and we are still in the playoff bracket. 

ever the oppomist I am reaching for a warm coat and hat.

Up the City!

That was as dominant as I've seen us play in a while and we should have scored more. Good passing, movement and plenty of chances. Morrison and Hay were absolutely fantastic in midfield and Sutherland will probably be cursing himself for not scoring at least 3.

Defensively we were shaky, especially first half up until a certain number 5 came off and was replaced by someone who can actually run. McGowan looks handy at the back and our awkward shape actually worked today.

Feel for Albion Rovers, a lot of the squad didn't look interested in the slightest. Escuriola was threatening with the ball at his feet and McMahon looked decent when he came on, but they never really threatened. The 2 goals probably flattered that performance a little.

Ref made some odd decisions and seemed to have a vandetta against David Wilson but didn't have to make any game changing decisions, thank god.

Good 3 points for us and look forward to us no doubt getting pumped next week..

Good win but again defensively poor. Dinna want to be negative but at 4-1 we should have been going forward, instead the manager was shouting at Soapy to sit resulting in him playing almost centre half at times ffs.  I thought Soapy was the best player on the park by miles and some of his inter play with Shane was reminiscent of how they linked a couple of seasons ago. Agree that McGowan might be worth a try but if you think Hay and Morrison were outstanding you obviously were watching a different game to me.

Good win but again defensively poor. Dinna want to be negative but at 4-1 we should have been going forward, instead the manager was shouting at Soapy to sit resulting in him playing almost centre half at times ffs.  I thought Soapy was the best player on the park by miles and some of his inter play with Shane was reminiscent of how they linked a couple of seasons ago. Agree that McGowan might be worth a try but if you think Hay and Morrison were outstanding you obviously were watching a different game to me.
Maybe not so much second half but every ball that came down the left hand side in the first half was won by Morrison. He absolutely bullied that defence, not sure how you could argue any differently. The final ball from both was maybe a bit disappointing but passing and movement were spot on. One of those games where it was hard to pick out a bad performance, really.

Can’t argue that Morrison was powerful going forward but as you said absolutely no end product, never lifts his head, so for me contributed very little.  In fairness to him I think he is being played out of position and can’t fathom why he is not playing through the middle instead of Mcleish. As for Hay what exactly did he do, apart from waste numerous opportunities to put a decent ball across goal? Didn’t do anything to help Wilson, who I thought had a decent game, defensively either. 

Agree that Soapy had his best game for a long time and his link up play with Shane was a joy to behold and as Thom and Gerry says was reminiscent of two seasons ago. However Albion were poor and allowed us to play. Agree we should have gone for more goals when going 4-1 up but Elgin teams don't go for the jugular in these situations and seem happy to settle for what they have. The next three games are a different kettle of fish and any points gained will be a bonus given our defensive  problems. Morrison was effective in the first half but without any end product. I do not rate Kerr and while he works hard he contributed little of quality today. Wilson was excellent and I prefer him to Cooper at the back. The next three games will be interesting and it would be nice to get Bronsky back. Too early to judge McGowan .

I also thought soapy was motm by a mile, why if its true gavin was asking him to sit in when 4 1  up is beyond me. Also agree with previous posts about Hay and Morrison, they work hard but not a lot of end product, same as mcleish but hopefuly that will come as we will need everybody  to contribute as the season goes on. Good 3 points as there is no easy games in this league

Start with the positives, 3 points and Bronsky on the bench. I agree about Soapy and Sutherland's link up play being great to see again. Morrison had a great 1st half but was non existent in the 2nd, until the last 5 min. Defensively we were poor against a poorer team.  Beattie is past it and hopefully Bronsky will replace in now.  Unlike elginer, I prefer Cooper to Wilson. Happy enough with McHardy. First time I've seen McGowan, so can't comment about him yet. Anyone else notice that we had 3 centre halves on the bench, when we were against the bottom team and should be looking for goals. 

Miller and Farquhar are out of their depths and just run about .  We made chances but never took them, should've scored another 3 or 4.  We play a nice passing game  but seem to just want to pass it into the goal. 

A pretty enjoyable game and we really needed it as others have stated, it has been a really hard watch recently. I suspect it was forced by absences rather than judgement but the change in formation/mentality was a blessed relief. No laboured play down the flanks with misfiring "wing backs" or pumping 60 yards balls for a 5'8 striker to out jump a centre half, just getting the ball to our best players in areas where they can have a real impact. Shane and Soapy were excellent and 50/50 for MOTM for me. The defence is still a real concern and Beattie just looks finished! We always look like conceding goals but we scored 4 goals (could have been several more), it was entertaining and I've no idea how as we've been awful recently but we are in a playoff position - positive for the first time in quite a few weeks.

Archived