Cowdenbeath Vs Clyde

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, TheBigGuy said:

Looking forward to this. Hoping the temperature rises pre Saturday and Clyde put in a much improved display on their last visit to CP.

Cowdenbeath 0-2 Clyde 

The last time was a complete disaster, frankly. Lennon didn't start with Nicoll despite the need for some Dogs of War on that Somme tribute pitch, then threw McStay at it despite an admission last year that it had prematurely finished his season (although he WAS cracking in the 3-0 thumping there). 

Saturday there seemed a bit of a bruising contest, so little idea of how we will likely line up. I'm sure we'll have an update on that here after training is finished in around an hour's time, just to help our opponents that small percentage more ahead of another vital match. Disguised as 'transparency'.

In my opinion, trying to dominate possession is failing us, and so we should willingly cede it until we can catch them out on the break. As a team we lose far too much confidence when controlled, attempted plays from the back break down due to poor distribution. When they stop fannying about with it (particularly NcNiff) and get the ball nice and early to our midfield, we're virtually unplayable at times. 

Cowden 0 Clyde 4. 

47 minutes ago, clyde_r_us said:

Like to ally love return as I reckon he has  been part of most of our victorys

I agree. It seems very strange that he's in for two games, scores as we win, then dropped for three, and comes back in again to score and then....nothing. His pressing against opponents, especially away from home is of great importance, and giving him the start to do this effectively for 60/65 minutes could force the gaps to appear later on, which Belmokhtar and Syversten possess the ability to fully expliot from the bench.

Contrast this with the consistently-selected defence, which had improved with the resurgence of Coggill only for it to fall apart when he had an off-day last week. Interesting team lines await.

Personally i'd change a lot. We have the tools for an out-and-out 3-5-2 or thereabouts, with actual wide midfielders/wingers instead of full-backs pushed on but Lennon won't touch it for some inexplicable reason.

Barry Cuddihy can stay at right back in this case. The left-footed imbalance in central defence will hopefully be broken up with Tom Lang being given his first league start alongside Dylan if he's  fit, McNiff if not, and one of the supporters if Rumsby is option number 4.

The need for both Nicoll and Rankin on this pitch can keep Grant filling in at left-back, with ideally McStay completing the middle three from the right. I'd also begin with Boyle and Love flanking Goodwillie. 

Archived