The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

On 25/03/2020 at 08:46, Snafu said:

I won't do too much more of this as it's not the thread for online gaming.

I've been watching a lot of Jimmy Broadbent's Youtube channel and seeing how a just regular guy who's only been sim racing for four years gets on against professional drivers like Norris, Hulkenberg, Deletraz, Verstappen, Vandoorne, da Costa etc and some of the best sim racers in the world and he's not doing too badly. Jimmy's story is one of where he had hit rock bottom, unemployed and with depression in 2016 and finding the strength and creativity to do something different. Imagine having 'the Hulk' as your 'team mate', getting a laugh with Lando Norris and battling wheel to wheel with Max Verstappen?

I recognised two other Youtubers who get involved in these races Aarava who does a lot of career mode stuff on the F1 games and has been a guest at Alfa Romeo and Tiametmarduk an Australian who does similar and I've seen him more often on Sim games recently mixing with the professional drivers, he's being doing this for years and I very good and entertaining.

I think that the Sim racing is just great entertainment to watch while there is no F1 and other motorsport around just now.

Jimmy's a good lad who deserves his success.

Try Super GT on youtube as well, he mostly does Gran Turismo and Forza videos but has been in a few of these events that there have been over the past few weeks. He spent most of the Australian GP racing against Thibault Courtois. 

• 2 weeks later...

It was pretty obvious from early last season that Leclerc is the person they should be building their team around going forward

In an era when mechanical failures rarely happen, Vettel has been far too erratic with his driving to ever seriously challenge Mercedes.

It will be interesting to see where Vettel goes. I doubt there will be a seat at Mercedes or Red Bull and I don't think he is the type to see out his career in a midfield team.

Maybe McLaren or Renault if they look like getting their act together for the new 2022 regs.

5 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It was pretty obvious from early last season that Leclerc is the person they should be building their team around going forward

In an era when mechanical failures rarely happen, Vettel has been far too erratic with his driving to ever seriously challenge Mercedes.

It will be interesting to see where Vettel goes. I doubt there will be a seat at Mercedes or Red Bull and I don't think he is the type to see out his career in a midfield team.

Maybe McLaren or Renault if they look like getting their act together for the new 2022 regs.

Red Bull would be a no-go anyway, as he wouldn’t want to be in the same team as Verstappen, exact same situation as he was with Leclerc.

Edited by IainMorton

4 hours ago, fanny paddery said:

The interesting question here is who takes the seat. Ricciardo would be the obvious choice for me. However, have seen alot of chat that they might like to take giovinazzi

Even though he has denied it, the talk of Lewis going to Maranello won’t go away. Straight swap?

16 minutes ago, FifeArab said:

I wouldn’t be surprised If Seb just called It a day.

I agree, I honestly can't see any team in a position to win wanting him, he's become a bit of a bottle merchant over the last few years, consistently making mistakes when under pressure.

I wouldn’t be surprised If Seb just called It a day.

He’s not looked happy for a year or 2 now so I wouldn’t be surprised either.
A number of drivers could fill that seat now but i dont see hamilton leaving mercedes. I would say ricciardo will be the front runner with his contract expiring but sainz, norris and although i dont think he’s good enough giovinazzi too.

He could do with a season at alfa first but dont forget about mick schumacher either.....

The interesting question here is who takes the seat. Ricciardo would be the obvious choice for me. However, have seen alot of chat that they might like to take giovinazzi
I'm sure the Tifosi would love to see an Italian in the car, and he has shown a bit of promise, but not sure if he is ready for a big step up quite yet.

Seems it'll all be confirmed today. Sainz to Ferrari is a great move for him, not so sure about Danny Ric to McLaren - although they will have Mercedes engines from next season. In hindsight, he'd probably have been better off staying with Red Bull even if it meant sharing a team with Verstappen. Wonder where Vettel will end up? Renault looks his best option at the moment, although there now seem to be rumours that Alonso could go in there. Force India/Aston Martin might be worth a shout but can't see anywhere else for him unless he fancies a project like dragging Williams forward (which would be fantastic).

Given the season hasn't started yet, they'd almost be as well switching teams just now - especially with the cars staying the same for next season.

Point was made on Midweek Motorsport last night that for the last decade Ferrari have had Alonso or Vettel, who have six world titles between them, yet haven't won a championship and have only really come close twice. And on the subject of MWM, thanks to them you can get a free digital copy of Motorsport Magazine's May edition celebrating F1's 70th anniversary. You need to register an account and can only sign up via the app but no need to enter card details: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/shop/subscriptions/subscription-offers/rlm0520