The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

The race stewards really don't help themselves do they, the wing mirror was noticeably loose a couple laps after the restart.  Suppose the race stewards argument would be that the driver and team should have been aware and take responsibility, which they failed to do.

EDIT - a rather good explanation of the situation from Sam Collins here

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

21 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Hopefully Audi can bring a good engine and funding to be a contender to win races.

I am always skeptical when a big name comes in like this. More often than not it doesn't work out unless the company is willing to shell out megabucks like Mercedes.

I am always skeptical when a big name comes in like this. More often than not it doesn't work out unless the company is willing to shell out megabucks like Mercedes.
It certainly didn't work for Toyota when they were reportedly spending 500 million per year.

Just now, jimmy boo said:
1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

It certainly didn't work for Toyota when they were reportedly spending 500 million per year.

Toyota was an odd one. Great engine, but I think they relied too much on folk who had worked in the US racing series. Their best years were under Mike Gascoyne who came from Jordan, I think. Compare with Mercedes who hired Ross Brawn - recruitment let them down.

1 hour ago, ajwffc said:

Alonso's penalty has been recinded after an appeal. This has sent a number on twitter into a meltdown

Many in F1 Twitter are on permanent meltdown. Red Bull and the FIA have totally broken them. Today should be fun if Red Bull get a slap on the wrists. 

54 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

Alonso's penalty has been recinded after an appeal. This has sent a number on twitter into a meltdown

Is one of them Guitner Steniher who is now threating to "fok smash" the FIA's door in.  

The whole Alonso penalty situation just shows up the current incompetence of the race stewards.  How they never called Alpine/Alosno in to get the mirror fixed during the race is baffling, but to then allow an appeal from Haas to be heard after the deadline (and not just after the deadline, clearly after it's imposed deadline) is crazy.  

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I predict tears and snotters on twitter.

I'd need to get waders on to get through the Mercedes fans tears. 

That aside I don't get the complaints. The FIA set it out pretty well. They gave notice they were under, FIA thought over, they complied with the investigation, were open and they got a punishment available under the rules.

The whole 'cost cap is dead and everyone should overspend' is just reactionary pish. I'd think if you deliberately overspent it would be more severe and the difference £1m in £118m budgets isn't going to suddenly transform a car.