The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Bring back refueling. It provides an extra layer to strategy (fresh tyres v low fuel - a competent sport and tyre manufacturer could make the trade-off not at all obvious between the two). Drivers would also be encouraged to push much harder throughout the race (with less damage to the tyres) to stay competitive - which means more mistakes being punished. 

It would also be more efficient and therefore environmentally friendly than lugging around all the fuel on board from the start - just set the same or even a smaller maximum fuel consumption for the race. 

I don't have any real objection to the idea of reintroducing refuelling, but I think it would have to be done in conjunction with other changes to prevent what we saw in the era of every race just becoming a series of flat-out sprints between stops. That was pretty dull because there was no variance in pace, no real tyre issues caused by tanking it from one stop to the next, and even the stops themselves were only really problematic if there was in issue with the refuelling equipment itself because everything else you needed to do could be done in the time it took to refuel, and you still had a lot of tolerance left over for small mistakes.

I still think the thing that would spice things up the most is a tyre war, but I don't think it's particularly attractive to tyre manufacturers at the moment when there are daft stipulations about using multiple compounds and they don't allow setup changes, which means wet tyres are rendered pointless because the cars can't be driven in the wet anyway. I suppose you could suggest that the stipulation on using multiple compounds actually benefits manufacturers because at least more of the tyres they produce actually get used up, but then I don't see the need to go producing five different grades to begin with. So what if one or two tracks rip the hell out of even the hardest tyre available? I just spices things up, and besides, if you had a competitor you'd have to be on top of those things anyway, unlike right now where there is absolutely no pressure on Pirelli whatsoever to produce anything beyond total mediocrity.

13 hours ago, virginton said:

Bring back refueling. It provides an extra layer to strategy (fresh tyres v low fuel - a competent sport and tyre manufacturer could make the trade-off not at all obvious between the two). Drivers would also be encouraged to push much harder throughout the race (with less damage to the tyres) to stay competitive - which means more mistakes being punished. 

It would also be more efficient and therefore environmentally friendly than lugging around all the fuel on board from the start - just set the same or even a smaller maximum fuel consumption for the race. 

I would agree with this. Pits stops that lasted between 3 and 11 seconds depending on the strategy added something. 

I reckon it won't come back though. Although the number of accidents in the pits are tiny, folk still remember the fireball ones. Felipe Massa was denied a title when Ferrari left the hose in his car and let him drive off. So as soon as bringing it back is suggested, a lot of folk would start banging on about safety. 

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I would agree with this. Pits stops that lasted between 3 and 11 seconds depending on the strategy added something. 

I reckon it won't come back though. Although the number of accidents in the pits are tiny, folk still remember the fireball ones. Felipe Massa was denied a title when Ferrari left the hose in his car and let him drive off. So as soon as bringing it back is suggested, a lot of folk would start banging on about safety. 

Its the optics of adding fuel to a car too possibly. 

Kind of goes against the sustainability image they're promoting.

23 hours ago, Stu said:

I think that's a large part of it. If it was the other way round and Mercedes had been found guilty and Red Bull were wanting them penalised after losing the title I think more folk would be agreeing. Because it's the other way round it's being seen as sour grapes, even though Ferrari and McLaren (and probably others) have been calling for punishment.

Still, if the FIA and Red Bull do cut a deal it will at least keep the Hamilton weirdos on Twitter occupied.

The only silver lining to this whole clusterfuck is the potential heads gone from either side to be honest.

21 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Is it? According to the FIA, which Red Bull disagree with.

Technically correct, as we don't know officially yet. 

However with everything that's gone on since last Monday's announcement, coupled with the fact that FIA are now in discussion about an "accepted breach agreement" it looks highly likely they breached the budget cap.  Since the other teams complied (Aston Martin was a technical report breach rather than an overspend if I've read it correctly) then RedBull gained a competitive advantage and I feel pretty safe in saying they cheated (based on current info)

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Max's old man in a fireball is the one that I will always remember.

5 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Technically correct, as we don't know officially yet. 

However with everything that's gone on since last Monday's announcement, coupled with the fact that FIA are now in discussion about an "accepted breach agreement" it looks highly likely they breached the budget cap.  Since the other teams complied (Aston Martin was a technical report breach rather than an overspend if I've read it correctly) then RedBull gained a competitive advantage and I feel pretty safe in saying they cheated (based on current info)

Surely you must be reluctant to think one way or the other considering it has gone from "one team has a major breach and one a minor" to "one has a operational breach (or whatever AM's was) and RB now have a minor breach" and now Horner says they're talking about around $100-200k and that's due to catering and some misplaced R&D spending?

Edited by Mr. Brightside

3 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Surely you must be reluctant to think one way or the other considering it has gone from "one team has a major breach and one a minor" to "one has a operational breach (or whatever AM's was) and RB now have a minor breach" and now Horner says they're talking about around $100-200k and that's due to catering and some misplaced R&D spending?

I look at Horner's previous statements and find a bit of contradiction, then I look at Horners actions last season when it came to making accusations but never really backing them up (Mercs rear wings for example) and take whatever they've said with a very large pinch of salt.

Firstly, they said that any overspend was due to sick pay/absentee costs, however long term sickness and absentee costs are covered under the regs and are not included.  Then it moved onto 'catering' as the reason.  However, it appears under the regs Non F1 activities or entertainment of staff (which free staff meals would come under) have an allowance of $1,000,000, so unless they have grossly overspent of the food side of things, then I'm not buying that either.

Also, the FIA are making a big deal over 100-200k if (thats a big IF) Horner is too believed.  $100-200k is nothing in terms of an overspent on a budget of $145million and could be easily explained by misreading the rules and not declaring something they should have.   I doubt an overspend that low results in the FIA dragging this out for so long, what with all the baggage something like this brings.  If it was that low, surely it would have been a quick statement and fairly basic punishment (I know, my cardinal sin here is thinking that the FIA will use logic) to prevent dropping back in to the toxic mess of last year, which this issue is inevitably heading towards.

The lack of transparency is causing more issues than anything else tbh.  I could be wrong with everything above, Horner could be telling the truth, and I will hold my hand up if so.  However, having followed motorsport at many levels over the years, I've come to be more cynical on the team's defence when they are accused of rule/reg breaking by a governing body.

15 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

I look at Horner's previous statements and find a bit of contradiction, then I look at Horners actions last season when it came to making accusations but never really backing them up (Mercs rear wings for example) and take whatever they've said with a very large pinch of salt.

Firstly, they said that any overspend was due to sick pay/absentee costs, however long term sickness and absentee costs are covered under the regs and are not included.  Then it moved onto 'catering' as the reason.  However, it appears under the regs Non F1 activities or entertainment of staff (which free staff meals would come under) have an allowance of $1,000,000, so unless they have grossly overspent of the food side of things, then I'm not buying that either.

Also, the FIA are making a big deal over 100-200k if (thats a big IF) Horner is too believed.  $100-200k is nothing in terms of an overspent on a budget of $145million and could be easily explained by misreading the rules and not declaring something they should have.   I doubt an overspend that low results in the FIA dragging this out for so long, what with all the baggage something like this brings.  If it was that low, surely it would have been a quick statement and fairly basic punishment (I know, my cardinal sin here is thinking that the FIA will use logic) to prevent dropping back in to the toxic mess of last year, which this issue is inevitably heading towards.

The lack of transparency is causing more issues than anything else tbh.  I could be wrong with everything above, Horner could be telling the truth, and I will hold my hand up if so.  However, having followed motorsport at many levels over the years, I've come to be more cynical on the team's defence when they are accused of rule/reg breaking by a governing body.

How dare you!

There are children being bullied out there.