The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

19 hours ago, Snafu said:

At Aston? If Zak Brown can't find somewhere in his own team to place him possibly out on loan to see out his contract.

I might throw a wee left field option in there for Williams, Jamie Chadwick?

Good joke mate.

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Good joke mate.

Maybe, but if Williams haven't revealed their driver line up by say Austin or Mexico should we be surprised if we see Caitlyn Jenner (Jenner Racing) during Martin Brundle's gridwalk as a guest at Williams at either of those two tracks not just because Chadwick is one of the test drivers. The W Series are part of the support racing both those weekends. If the gossip and rumours start about Williams possibly signing Jamie Chadwick as one of the two drivers the media will grab hold of it.

I would prefer if Chadwick did a full season in F2 and see how she gets on there first. She's going to get bumped up at some point into an elite/top series whether that is F1, Formula E or the DTM, it will happen. I mean if Sophie Flörsch who struggled in the lower midfield in Euro F3 can get a drive far too soon in her career in one of the top teams in the DTM and Tatiana Calderon who was snail pace in both F2 and GP3 can get a f**king Indycar ride :lol:. I mean Chadwick has more potential than either of those two and there will be certain people who will be lobbying for her to get into F1, she is currently the best hope for there being a female F1 driver currently. There is some power behind pushing woman racing drivers into elite/top series now, whether those drivers are ready for that is another question, how good Chadwick really is, is another.

Edited by Snafu

The only time Chadwick has competed against her actual peers (and not the total numpties in W Series) she got absolutely rinsed by not only her team-mates, but by people (Vips and Hauger) that took part in less than half of the races. Also, isn't the reason she's still fucking about in the W Series because she doesn't have enough sponsors to get into F2, if that's the case how will she end up in F1? Obviously being the Williams development driver is a PR move for them, no danger she actually gets a full-time seat, does she even have a super license? 
I do agree that she should probably get a seat in F2 though.

Edited by Mr. Brightside

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

The only time Chadwick has competed against her actual peers (and not the total numpties in W Series) she got absolutely rinsed by not only her team-mates, but by people (Vips and Hauger) that took part in less than half of the races. Also, isn't the reason she's still fucking about in the W Series because she doesn't have enough sponsors to get into F2, if that's the case how will she end up in F1? Obviously being the Williams development driver is a PR move for them, no danger she actually gets a full-time seat, does she even have a super license? 
I do agree that she should probably get a seat in F2 though.

Its 15 points towards the F1 Superlicence for winning the W Series title but she had to give them up to compete again this season. She already has the necessary points to drive a F1 car in practice.

Yeah the 2020 Formula Regional European Championship, she was one of 4 in the Prema team, they finished first, second and third in the Championship while she finished 9th, Charles Leclerc's younger brother Arthur was one of them. Also I think Hauger and Vips are younger than her so already past her level earlier.

All these guys are familiar to me more through watching online Sim Racing.

The likes of the younger Leclerc brother, Vips and Hauger are all fast super aggressive drivers as well, F2 is not just a different level of speed, the bar is raised on how competitive the drivers are. And as for F1, its up even more, all these guys are drivers champions or repeat winners in the series below, even Latifi.

I would always prefer an F1 drive to be earned through winning F2 or Indycars, even the occasional very exceptional F3 Champion, not through politics or wads of cash or to sell road cars in Germany or USA, but sometimes that's the way it works. It would be crazy if Oscar Piastri isn't an F1 driver next season, being bypassed by drivers he beat on his rapid rise up to F2 Champion. There should be a team within F1, a development team who assures the F2 Champion gets a two year contract as a safety net regardless which team he or she is already a part off if that driver can't race for the parent team. Sort of a FIA Minardi/Toro Rosso type of set up.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2022/jul/29/vettels-activism-defined-latter-years-but-talent-burned-brightest-on-track

He enjoyed arguably the better car over Hamilton for much of 2017 and 2018 but the seven-time champion came out on top in both.

Your weekly reminder that Mercedes have absolutely dominated and won every single Constructors' title since the hybrid era began in 2014. But Saint Lewis didn't actually have the best car. Seems legit. 

Edited by vikingTON

You can see this exact same dynamic play out with Leclerc already: a Ferrari that, while quick, is more of a handful than the rest of the top cars. This results in 'pressure' claims while some completely dull Merc car just gets pointed and squirted from one corner to the next. 

TBF Vettel really should have won the title in 2018. Giving Hamilton more than enough until he binned it at Hockenheim, and then totally fell away after the Belgian GP. It was so bad that even Kimi was completely outperforming him once it was clear the title fight was effectively over. He went from looking like a rejuvenated four-time Champion to a dejected, beaten man because of one single mistake. 2017 wasn't quite the same. Ferrari didn't help themselves with things like the nonsense in Singapore, but that car wasn't truly as competitive v's the Merc as it's successor and it was never genuinely in a title fight beyond the first quarter of the season.

Regardless, it is quite amusing watching Hamilton struggle badly in what is turning out to truly be a dog of a car, and not just a genuinely competitive one undergoing some bedding-in issues.

On 28/07/2022 at 20:11, Snafu said:

Possibly since the Merc Formula E team is closing. I would imagine most will get picked up by McLaren including both or at least one of their drivers. Vandoorne seems have found his feet in that Formula but F1 has probably past him by. De Vries is still being talked about as a potential driver for Williams next season, neither Piastri nor Albon have been confirmed yet. Logan Sergeant is also an option for Williams.

I see Alonso has signed a two year deal with Alpine so that looks like that line up is settled. He still looks a class act and is often showing Ocon the way.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/120181/alonso-signs-new-two-year-deal-piastri-interested-in-ricciardo-s-seat.html

I see also that in Indycars ChipG is suing Alex Palou. To add to the situation McLaren are unwilling to pay to get Palou out of a deal they knew nothing about.  Looks like Alex Palou could be sitting out next season with no drive at all, nothing to do but play sim racing online. What was he thinking, you don't mess guys like Chip Ganassi about.

He hasn't. He is looking to extend his contract for more than just one year and racing at the Le Man 24hrs is a factor to consider with a new contract. f**king bloggers!!!

I wouldn't mind seeing him rejoining Arrow McLaren for another shot at the Indy 500, win that triple crown.

I see the Goatifi has bossed FP3, no one is more shocked than the Williams team.

Gasly really needs out of Alpha Tauri he's going nowhere forward in his career. Signing for another year for him is the F1 equivalent of still living in your Mum's basement at the age of 30. He's got no future with Red Bull, better off going somewhere else and becoming a lead driver elsewhere, do what Albon is doing.