The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Nope,most likely Colton Herta/Pato o Ward from Indy both in the arrows/Mac sp programme.
Zak brown and the arrows half already said this the way they want to go with having cars in Indy/f1/formula e.
They want to move drivers around the various different series
Danny Ric will be in Indy next season is the rumours after buying a house in La 
This I would like to see from both F1 and Indycar viewpoints. The Andretti debrief will be interesting today after Mid Ohio

9 hours ago, Snafu said:

At Brabham did he not take a dump in his team mate's car?

Wasn't Patrese or either of the Fabi brothers I know that.

Not sure but I know that when he was with Benetton he would regularly pee in his car

Posted (edited)

Colton Herta is not ready for F1.  He's too inconsistent, some weekends he is unbeatable but as soon as anything goes slightly wrong for him he fades.  I think that he will eventually get a chance, but he needs to be more mature.

Alex Palou is the Indycar driver that is the most ready for F1, but I don't think he will go.  He is already taking over from Scott Dixon as Ganassi's team leader, and that could mean a stable ride with the best team in Indycar for a decade or more.  

If any Indycar driver is going to go to F1, my money is on Pato O'Ward

Edited by senorsoupe

I still love the Monza chat where "Max could've killed Lewis" and he didn't even check on him, all the while Hamilton is desperately trying to reverse his car while Verstappen is getting out of his car.

23 hours ago, Snafu said:

If the race is a re start then he should be allowed to take the spare car.

The previous start was void, the argument over getting assistance should be neither here nor there.

22 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Aye cos the spare car is definitely set up for him 😉

22 hours ago, Snafu said:

I take it is a little bit more complicated now a days than a seat change and moving the pedals forward.

Why is it so different now than at any other time in F1 history.

Tell us more about this mythical spare car. Would love to see some pictures of this.

I've never seen a single seater racing car travel for so far on its roll bar or in this case what was left of it.
Usually they designed to roll the car over upright or protect the driver's head in case of impact, I wonder if the halo contributed to that energy slide acting like a roof and countered how the bar is supposed to work, possibly the bar had already broke when the car turned over and impacted the track at the start of the crash which is not good, that is a weakness in the roll bar. You've seen saloon car racing where a car has ended up upside down sliding on its roof. I wasn't too worried about the Zhou so much sliding upside down it was hitting the tyre wall part and going over and getting pinned which was concerning as this brings in the unknown such as what would happen if there was a fire would he be able to get out quickly or would the driver be subjected to a head or back injury during impact with the barrier?
Derek Warwick had something similar at Hockenheim in 1993 when his Footwork Arrows ended upside down after colliding with another car in the wet. The car sliding upside down in the gravel digging itself deeper as it traveled. He was very lucky to survive that.

Is the roll bar the bright yellow thing? I looked like that broke off early in the slide, I thought it was his helmet but turns out that was a dark coloured thing.

The halo looks like an annoyance, having something down the middle of your vision must be off putting, but it’s certainly saving lives.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, steelmen said:

Is the roll bar the bright yellow thing? I looked like that broke off early in the slide, I thought it was his helmet but turns out that was a dark coloured thing.

The halo looks like an annoyance, having something down the middle of your vision must be off putting, but it’s certainly saving lives.

It was an observation, not a criticism.

edit. btw the Alfa Romeo would have probably barrel rolled without that protection of the roll bar and if it had no halo. That would have been nasty.

Edit apologies I took your post on first glance as sarcasm. I didn't notice the roll bar break off as the car turned while sliding before going off the track. That should never happen. Given the energy of the accident, the momentum of the car the halo not only protected the driver in the initial accident when the car hit the track upsides down but also prevented the car from digging into the gravel and somersaulting and then you get all kinds of nasty things happening, spectators were in the firing range of that. The halo was only badly scratched after the crash while the top of the whole back of the car looked like it had been worn down by a giant cheese grater.  Undoubtedly the halo gave the driver enough of a gap so that he didn't end up like the back of his Alfa. In the 35 years I've been watching F1 and other catagories of single seater I have never seen a single seater open wheel car go off like that with such velocity. The halo did its job once again a live was saved. There was an element of luck involved when the car hit the tyre barrier and went over that no one else was hurt from debris.

Everyone should take this accident as a warning not to become complacent about safety.

I see there are questions raised about the safety of Copse Corner with this and bringing up Verstappen's crash last season.

Edited by Snafu

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The defence presumably being that Ricciardo is a demonstrable wage thief on a weekly basis.

Ricciardo ran from a competitive car to avoid being teammates with Verstappen. Norris who is a pretty decent driver is pretty much doing to him what he ran from Red Bull to avoid. 

Ricciardo ran from a competitive car to avoid being teammates with Verstappen. Norris who is a pretty decent driver is pretty much doing to him what he ran from Red Bull to avoid. 
The days of him beating Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull are so very long ago. He's done