The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

If the reports are true and it’s an Iranian backed military group that’s carried out these airstrikes on an oil refinery less than 20km from the track, then how can the FIA guarantee any of the drivers, team staff or supporters safety over this weekend. I will freely admit to not having the first clue about the conflict between Saudi and whoever has carried out this attack earlier today, but the fact that they have managed to hit a major companies oil facility, in the country’s capital city and during a high profile sporting event, makes me think that the timing of it is no coincidence.

Formula 1 shouldn’t be racing in Saudi Arabia anyway, and I’m surprised there hasn’t been more dissent from some of the more outspoken drivers. Guys like Vettel and Hamilton have came out with statements saying they strongly disagree with the regime/disregard of human rights etc., but they still take part in the race and by doing so are seen as willing participants in the ‘sport washing’ routine that Saudi are putting so much effort in to in order to legitimise themselves to a Western audience. All it would take would be for a driver like Vettel to make it publicly known that he is unwilling to participate in a Saudi GP and a lot more heads would take notice. Sure, Aston Martin would stick their reserve driver in his place and the race would continue as normal, but the publicity of a driver refusing to race in Jeddah would start a conversation not just within F1, but amongst all the sporting organisations that are chasing the Arabian cash; La Liga, Anthony Joshua/Eddie Hearn, the proposed breakaway Golf tour. 

Now that there is literal air strikes occurring just miles from the Grand Prix, apart from the vast, vast sums of money that the FIA will be pocketing, what possible sporting or historical reason can there be to race in Saudi Arabia. 

As expected, a fairly tame statement from the GDPA.
I suspect there will be a stronger one in a few weeks with some drivers refusing to return next year.

Looking at the race itself, Ferrari are still a bit ahead on this track imo. No long runs will make thing a bit more difficult though.

Mercedes seem to be going in a different direction with tyres again. Perhaps the tyre wear is so bad for them on the softer compounds that they're forced to go as hard as possible?

10 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

From BBC Sport, I'll just leave this out there

image.png.22cb04849e2ecad2170835399abd3f0a.png

Based on that last sentence, if Saudi isn't immediately binned from the calendar as soon as the teams have all left the country, I never want to hear or see any worthless slogans on t-shirts, or printed on the cars again. 

Imagine dropping Spa, and keeping this farce😐

39 minutes ago, FernandosMonobrow said:

Imagine dropping Spa, and keeping this farce😐

Remember when Liberty Media took over from Bernie and everyone thought it would be the end of this sort of thing?

Just the fact that the most successful team of the recent era (Mercedes) doesn't have a home race seems bonkers to me.  Maybe that's because My F1 fandom was at it's highest during the Schumacher era when they raced in Germany twice, but it makes no sense to me to have zero races there.

Edited by senorsoupe

11 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

From BBC Sport, I'll just leave this out there

image.png.22cb04849e2ecad2170835399abd3f0a.png

The Saudis did exactly the same thing to the WWE a few years ago after an argument about money. All the bigwigs were allowed to fly back the USA on a private jet, while the rest of the crew were effectively held hostage at the airport.

*Insert joke about F1 being a pantomime with predetermined results here*

4 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Remember when Liberty Media took over from Bernie and everyone thought it would be the end of this sort of thing?

Just the fact that the most successful team of the recent era (Mercedes) doesn't have a home race seems bonkers to me.  Maybe that's because My F1 fandom was at it's highest during the Schumacher era when they raced in Germany twice, but it makes no sense to me to have zero races there.

Do German fans care about a constructor championship though? I'm not exactly seeing Volkswagen Loyal clashing with Mercedes Ultras on race day. 

German fans are well catered for with Austria and Hungary anyway (which gets a big international crowd - the closest to a home race for Finns when Hakkinen/Kimi were at the front end). 

4 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

FP2 highlights on YouTube opening with “the perfect conditions for qualifying”.

‘A beautiful sight as Leclerc takes the chequered flag here in Jeddah, with the picturesque glow of a burning oil refinery lighting up the night sky’.