The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

No offence to the lad but if K-Mag can step into that car with a few days notice and take it to 5th then maybe, just maybe Schumacher Jr isnt all that despite what the media would say.

Aston Martin and Williams fighting it out to be the new Haas for the remainder of the season and McLaren not looking too good either. AR doing a lot better than I thought they would and now look to be fighting for best of the rest alongside Haas and Alpine.

Merc were about 30 odd secs behind Rb/Ferrari without safety car etc and there customer teams were nowhere Jeddah could see them lapped unless there is lots of safety cars
Kmag star of the show and special mention to Zhou 
Lots of safety cars in Jeddah is highly likely. Merc will need them.

I looked at the Guardian article on the race and shouldn't have. All the btl comments were about "karma" and "shampion". 

The most cringeworthy bit of watching this for me was during the safety car and the alleged banter between David Croft and Ted Kravitz. "Ooh, I'm having flashbacks! Not again"" and so on. Are we going to get this every single time there is a safety car this season?

Another petty gripe about the commentary - "George Russell on his debut for Mercedes" - aye, except for the other time he raced for them. 

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I looked at the Guardian article on the race and shouldn't have. All the btl comments were about "karma" and "shampion". 

The most cringeworthy bit of watching this for me was during the safety car and the alleged banter between David Croft and Ted Kravitz. "Ooh, I'm having flashbacks! Not again"" and so on. Are we going to get this every single time there is a safety car this season?

Another petty gripe about the commentary - "George Russell on his debut for Mercedes" - aye, except for the other time he raced for them. 

Agree. "Crofty" seems like a bawbag imo.

Bet he insists on sausage, egg and chips wherever he is in the world.

19 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Agree. "Crofty" seems like a bawbag imo.

Bet he insists on sausage, egg and chips wherever he is in the world.

Not sure why but I really dislike "Crofty". It can't be just because he is biased - I liked Murray Walker and all through 1996 he was half commentating, half cheerleading for Damon Hill.

James Allan was very dull but very knowledgeable. Not sure why he was canned in the end. I would have him back now though. 

But David Croft just grates on me a bit for some reason.  

I'm sure to some extent its act but the lack of basic knowledge/understanding of F1 that Croft appears to have is incredible given that he's been commentating on it for 15 years.

I can forgive mistakes made in the moment, its a difficult job, but every race he says at least a couple of things that make him sound like he's been called in to commentate for the weekend having never watched a race before in his life.

1 hour ago, afc_36_0 said:

Glad im not the only one that doesn’t like crofty, gets quite a lot wrong and he generally an annoying p***k. Brundle and the rest of the crew are generally alright

Brundle is top class. His insight is tremendous and keeps things on point.

The first race I watched on Sky was Sakhir. Until then I was happy to watch the highlights on Channel 4 but I wanted to see Russell in a Merc live and I forgot how much I enjoyed the full race where you can figure out what's going on. That was my first exposure to Crofty and he's the absolute worst sort of modern commentator possible. He's a motorsport equivalent of that Crocker w**k on the football, where he seems to think people are tuning in to listen to him and he needs to be as overbearing as possible so that people's memories - or the clips that go viral - have him shrieking increasingly tenuous pre-prepared nonsense over the top. An utter arse.

Although I enjoyed the equally terrible WTF1 doing this.

Brundle & Ted are the best of the Sky team. The rest of them are Lewis cheerleaders save for Di Resta who I think actually took well to the co-comms role when Martin is off racing. Actually thought Naomi slotted well into the Sky team and showed her knowledge while showing up Damon for what he truly is. Could see Damon just trying to poke Christian and Toto trying to create a bit of false narrative.

12 minutes ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

Brundle & Ted are the best of the Sky team. The rest of them are Lewis cheerleaders save for Di Resta who I think actually took well to the co-comms role when Martin is off racing. Actually thought Naomi slotted well into the Sky team and showed her knowledge while showing up Damon for what he truly is. Could see Damon just trying to poke Christian and Toto trying to create a bit of false narrative.

Di Resta isn't "Lewisy"enough for sky

David Croft was good back in the day he did the Five Live coverage but his ego is the size of a small planet these days. His desperate attempt at a catchphrase with "lights out and away we go" is Partridge-esque.