The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Elsewhere it looks as though Brad Pitt wants to make a movie about F1 where an old racer come s out of retirement to mentor a younger driver 

https://deadline.com/2022/01/brad-pitt-formula-one-racing-movie-apple-top-gun-maverick-joseph-kosinski-jerry-bruckheimer-ehren-kruger-1234887487/

I wonder if they are aware that this is the exact same plot as the god awful 2001 CART themed movie "Driven" 

So Lewis is playing his give me the title back or I'm chucking it card.

Lewis Hamilton: Mercedes driver to decide on F1 future after Abu Dhabi inquiry - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59951382
What an absolute child. Hopefully they call his bluff and he chucks it.

Whole thing is a shambles. The FIA need to get a handle on it fairly quickly. I think they want to remove Masi, but have no replacement.

Lewis should at least know and be able to make a decision one way or the other at this point. Longer it goes with no announcement you think they are trying to convince him or find a replacement. 

The #LH44 fans on twitter are still having an absolute heads gone having been triggered by DIY presenter Nick Knowles doing his best, 'why isn't the media talking about Lewis'. 

18 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Top trolling from the FIA saying they'll announce the outcome of the report into Abu Dhabi on the day of the first race of the new season

Truth be told, Hamilton coming out saying he will decide after the enquiry was putting a timetable on the enquiry. I reckon they should have gone one stage further and had the results come out just after the first Grand Prix of the season. 

Channel surfing and I came across The F1 Show on sky sports. The presenter introduced Karun Chandhok and Anthony Davidson. First question: Do you agree that this is the greatest injustice in the history of the sport? 

Dearie me... 

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Channel surfing and I came across The F1 Show on sky sports. The presenter introduced Karun Chandhok and Anthony Davidson. First question: Do you agree that this is the greatest injustice in the history of the sport? 

Dearie me... 

Saw excerpts of it on twitter. I know they’ll just jump on the next British driver with the most points but it’ll be a welcome change when Lewis does go and they have to stop the broken record. 

Aston Martin looking like the first team to unveil their car on 10th Feb. Will be interesting to see how “closed door” closed door testing is, and how much access the media have to the event… will the results and lap times be released?

8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Dearie me... 

Brundle was talking a lot of sense on the show I thought. Very balanced and insightful as usual. 

Stuff like the difficulties around the danger from the hybrid system when a car has crashed etc. 

Herbert and Hill came across like little Englanders imo. Probably why they're not commentating live on race day. 

Hamilton has played this brilliantly tbf, at least when it comes to how it will be portrayed by his arse-lickers

He either comes back bravely against all the odds with the whole world against him*, or he is chased out of the sport by people who simply didn't appreciate him for the wonderful hero he is.

*Odds may not be against him in his £40m a year contract with the strongest team in the fastest car.

On 15/01/2022 at 19:15, Uniform11 said:

Saw excerpts of it on twitter. I know they’ll just jump on the next British driver with the most points but it’ll be a welcome change when Lewis does go and they have to stop the broken record. 

Aston Martin looking like the first team to unveil their car on 10th Feb. Will be interesting to see how “closed door” closed door testing is, and how much access the media have to the event… will the results and lap times be released?

It's what I'm looking forward to. Have other teams basically junked 2021 to focus on the 2022 car? Could McLaren, Ferrari or someone else suddenly jump to become title contenders?

Hope they do release the lap times etc. I remember seeing these for the first time in 1998 and the McLaren was like a rocket ship. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yet more mewling from Hamilton's army of sycophants:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2022/feb/03/lewis-hamiltons-future-shrouded-in-doubt-as-new-f1-season-looms

crucial to that decision will surely be that the 37-year-old has confidence in an even-handed and transparent application of the rules. Hamilton and many of the sport’s fans, also disillusioned by the events in Abu Dhabi, demand a level playing field.

1432316645_giphy(3).gif.dec12cc8c6760a9f7421af9f53926531.gif

The biggest, entitled Dauphin figure in the history of the sport - who not once had to lug a Minardi or Jordan or similar banger around the place.

The lead driver for the most dominant team in the sport's history, based on a dung set of regulations that are now getting binned.

A team that has run with glorified bus driver ever since Hamilton's previous team mate had the temerity to compete with and beat him, fair and square. 

That Lewis Hamilton, demanding a level playing field now. 

Spoiler

1432316645_giphy(3).gif.dec12cc8c6760a9f7421af9f53926531.gif

5 hours ago, virginton said:

The lead driver for the most dominant team in the sport's history, based on a dung set of regulations that are now getting binned.

This really hasn't got through to the public yet. The new regs came in in 2014. Mercedes got a march on the rest of the field by the way they placed the compressor and turbo units. And, these regs limited development from the other teams. In short, the advantage Mercedes built in in 2014 remained. During a season, car development was restricted so that the dominant car at race 1 tended to go on and win the championship. Mercedes kept that advantage for a long while (though it has eroded a bit). 

With this developmental straightjacket, it took 8 years for another team to catch up. Were this 20 years ago, the development race would have erased this massive advantage much earlier. 

This is why the upcoming testing is so important. If Ferrari, say, show up with a car that is 1.5 seconds a lap faster than anyone else, they will probably be champions this year and next.

This is the bit where I point out that the one instance where Lewis Hamilton was given a genuinely uncompetitive car, he was beaten in the exact same machine by Jenson bloody Button. 

GOAT my arse. He'd be utterly ragdolled by both Schumi and Senna all other things being equal.

Haas set to reveal their car tomorrow leaving Williams as the only team not to have set a date yet... can only imagine they haven't got any wheel nuts again.
Just the livery according to Autosport.