The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Additional 10 second penalty for Max and 2 penalty points on his license...

I'm what the diehards like to call a "Netflix fan" and only been following for a few months but holy f**k this sport is an absolute shambles.

From the F1 website:

The stewards saw fit to hand Verstappen a further 10-second penalty and two penalty points (taking him to a total of seven over the 12-month period) with their report reading: "At Turn 21 the driver of car 33 [Verstappen] was given the instruction to give back a position to car 44 [Hamilton] and was told by the team to do so 'strategically'. Car 33 slowed significantly at Turn 26.

"However, it was obvious that neither driver wanted to take the lead prior to DRS detection line 3. The driver of Car 33 stated that he was wondering why Car 44 had not overtaken and the driver of Car 44 stated that, not having been aware at that stage that Car 33 was giving the position back, was unaware of the reason Car 33 was slowing.

"In deciding to penalise the driver of Car 33, the key point for the Stewards was that the driver of car 33 then braked suddenly (69 bar) and significantly, resulting in 2.4g deceleration.

"Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not wish to be the first to cross the DRS [line]. However, the sudden braking by the driver of Car 33 was determined by the Stewards to be erratic and hence the predominant cause of the collision and hence the standard penalty of 10 seconds for this type of incident, is imposed."

33 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

It's a shame there's no way for both Hamilton and Verstappen to lose. Both of them strike me as being monumental p***ks.

Absolutely.

Verstappen is like a teenager who will rage quit on FIFA, Hamilton is that sneaky c**t who pretends to be a good guy, while actually being the world’s biggest bellend.

That shite yesterday of “Oh I just want to drive safely, I don’t know if everyone else is like me” was passive aggressive bawbaggery of the highest order. Verstappen absolutely takes too many risks, but the way Merc and Hamilton are trying to show him as Maldonado with a deathwish is nasty as f**k.

Seb's recent face turn maybe puts him into non-arsehole champion status. He most definitely was an arsehole when he won his titles though. I imagine being around Christian Horner all the time would turn anyone into an arsehole.

I know Hill was a bit of a fud towards the end at Jordan, buy I'm sure he always seemed pretty sound when he was at Williams?

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

How many world champion racing drivers haven't been arseholes?

That's a fantastic question. Agree with Hakkinen. Maybe Raikkonen also as he just doesn't give a shite. Everyone else from my time as a spectator (mid-90s onwards) is a bellend. Including Jenson Button. 

I wonder how much the heat and physical exhaustion played it's part in maybe making both drivers make 'less than optimal' decisions, along with the pressure of the championship possibly being decided . I noticed after qualifying everyone looked absolutely f*cked and wondered then whether fatigue could play a part in the race.  

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

That's a fantastic question. Agree with Hakkinen. Maybe Raikkonen also as he just doesn't give a shite. Everyone else from my time as a spectator (mid-90s onwards) is a bellend. Including Jenson Button. 

My view on Raikkonen is that he's just managed to succesfully rebrand being an arsehole into 'he's so cool because he doesn't give a f**k'. Which is an achievement in itself I suppose so fair play to him.

But take pretty much anything Kimi has said which he is celebrated for and have Hamilton/Verstappen/Vettel/Alonso say it and it would correctly be regarded as them being a p***k.