The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

8 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Quite clearly it's the outcome. If both drivers live to fight another day without losing places or damaging their car, then I'd say you need some amount of bad driving to receive a penalty.

There's always a line even with "let them race", punting someone off into the barriers at Copse obviously goes beyond that line.

You should never punish the result, always the action.  Again, what Lando and Perez did in Austria was no different to what happened today however we have seen a different application of the rules.

7 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

That angle of them both going off track shows Hamilton with full lock on he was never making the corner whatever max did 

The question is not what Lewis was going to do, but did Max make a valid attempt to make the corner?  I'm not 100% sure, definitely the body language of the car (lack of lock up, angle coming into the corner) gives doubt, but if the onboard shows Max attempting full lock then I'm happy to say that Max wasn't at fault.

I still question the application of the rule compared to what we have seen earlier this season.

33 minutes ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Regardless of the pace of his car, it was still a hugely impressive performance from Hamilton this weekend, the kind of race that shows how far ahead of most of the grid he is.

If you had put Bottas in 20th at the start of the Sprint he wouldn't have gotten close to 5th and he wouldn't have been anywhere near winning the race today. There's maybe 2 or 3 other drivers on the grid who could have done it, even in a Mercedes.

I don't disagree that it was a good performance from Hamilton, but I think the reaction is miles over the top. The gap between Mercedes and Red Bull and the rest of the field is an absolute chasm and that straight-line speed makes overtaking very easy, plus the Merc was about 3/4 tenths quicker than RB this weekend.
You're kidding yourself on if you don't think Bottas would've made top 8-10, at a minimum, if he was in the same position as Hamilton yesterday. Bottas ended about 5 seconds off Max which goes to show just how quick the Merc is, would be interested to know where they've discovered that pace from.

42 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I don't disagree that it was a good performance from Hamilton, but I think the reaction is miles over the top. The gap between Mercedes and Red Bull and the rest of the field is an absolute chasm and that straight-line speed makes overtaking very easy, plus the Merc was about 3/4 tenths quicker than RB this weekend.
You're kidding yourself on if you don't think Bottas would've made top 8-10, at a minimum, if he was in the same position as Hamilton yesterday. Bottas ended about 5 seconds off Max which goes to show just how quick the Merc is, would be interested to know where they've discovered that pace from.

Luckily for me that's not what I said.

Top 8-10 is exactly what Bottas would have made, which is significantly below the top 5 that Hamilton achieved and would have killed off any hope of winning the race. He would then likely have taken half of the race today to pick off the rest of the field and finished 4th behind Perez. You can say thats not a huge difference if you like, and it isn't really, but ultimately its the difference between a competent F1 driver and a multiple world champion.

Sky's coverage of Hamilton is over the top of course, but this is exactly the type of weekend that sets the great drivers apart and I don't have any real problem with that being highlighted.

Where did they find that extra pace from? They said they weren’t doing any upgrades and a new engine doesn’t give you THAT much of an advantage….Bottas has has about 8 this year.

Curious.

Im not sure Christian but i reckon they’ve increased the engine mode with a ‘nothing to loose’ mentality if it goes bang and they seem to have found a trick with the rear wing too.

46 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Autocar put out a story this morning claiming that Audi have bought McLaren, only for McLaren to immediately say that it's not true.

Sounds to me from that McLaren statement that it's happening but Autocar have jumped the gun before its signed off.

Thoughts on the race:

Hamilton was awesome. I'm not a big fan of his but he did exceptionally well. Passing all those cars without an incident isn't easy. Yes his car was the fastest, but Bottas in the sister car went from 1st to 3rd. Hamilton's car wasn't that much faster than his team-mates. 

The stewards were a bit of a joke.  Biased towards Red Bull. Had these infringements been done the other way around, I doubt the penalties would have been applied the same way.

Sky's coverage was worse. David Croft going all Miss Marple demanding to see footage of a steering wheel. Jeez, give it a rest. 

Was Hamilton not about 30km/h faster than the Red Bulls on the straights? They must have cranked the engine up hoping it sees out the remaining few races. Ridiculous increase in pace. 

21 hours ago, scottsdad said:

The stewards were a bit of a joke.  Biased towards Red Bull. Had these infringements been done the other way around, I doubt the penalties would have been applied the same way.

I'm interested to know what you are referring to here? If it's the Max and Lewis incident fair enough, if it's to do with Hamilton's car breaking the rules then that is nonsense. The FIA consistently altered rules against Red Bull when they were dominating, especially to do with their front wing at the time. It repeatedly passed weight strain tests even when they increased the amount of weight placed on it.
The rear wing was also tested in Mexico but was deemed legal, so there has obviously been some sort of suspicion around it previously and this time it was on the wrong side of the legislation, as DC would say "that's a slam dunk penalty".

On 14/11/2021 at 20:00, IainMorton said:

Surely that’s not the first time a driver has undone their seatbelt on the slow down lap?!

Ironically there is a video of a drivers briefing a few years ago where Lewis goes in on Vettel and Grosjean then comes into bat against Lewis by calling him out for this thing. Whiting explains it is against the rules. 

40 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

B63DDE83-4754-4279-9E99-AABBB0435B47.jpeg

Merc ( we want to win it on track )keeping it going to put pressure on the stewards for the rest of the season by the looks it.

The data is showing both braked 10m later than on any other lap and they weren't making the corner.

Will Buxton and Alex Brundle both went over the data with some great analysis

Edited by doulikefish