The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

11 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

I'm a bit behind on the IndyCars atm so wasn't aware Illot was looking over there, thought he would have been a shoe in for the Alfa with the Ferrari connection.

Alfa have been told they have a free choice of drivers for next season with no outside influence which is why Illot is stateside.

So I'm guessing de Vries brings in more sponsorship cash 

12 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

Kimi has been MIA since the start of the hybrid era tbh, odd moment at ferrari since but really should have called it a day when he left in 2018.

You can split his career into segments. Up until he won his title in 2007 he was fearless, awesome and very, very fast. As soon as he won it he lost a second a lap and never really recovered. I was surprised Ferrari took him back as a #2 driver, but they did. Finally at Alfa he provided a bit of experience for the team before bringing in the new guys.

On 30/08/2021 at 09:51, Jeek said:

Aso, whilst Lewis Hamilton's insta posts might be well intentioned about refunds, it's worth remembering most of the European races are on a financial knife edge and paying back all the spectators could (I don't know for sure obviously) see it off the calendar.... To be replaced by another Gulf state race.

Dunno how widespread these rules are, but here if a football game is abandoned before half time you can get a ticket for the re-arranged fixture or your money back, and it doesn't matter how hard up the clubs are. You're obviously right about each individual European race, which is why F1 should cover this. It's only one of the 22/23 races this year and I don't think a huge proportion of F1's income is through ticket sales. It's also only one day - they can keep the cash from the previous two days. They can afford refunds or to give them tickets for next year.

17 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I’m currently watching the F3 sprint race. I can’t see there being many overtakes on this circuit.

I was thinking the same, anyone attempting a move seemed to end up losing places or in the gravel. Qualifying could be chaotic today.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Nico and Jenson making a big fuss about how turn 3 has the racing line on the outside rather than the inside, and folk will need to remember that when letting faster cars through.

Mazepin is clearly going to wipe someone out there either today or tomorrow

Nearly...