The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

And go slower at 90-95% of races? Not sure that trade-off would be worth it. And what could they do to improve visibility anyway?

Is the 2022 car better for the wet? It's less reliant on aero but more reliant on ground effect.

Should be more stable at slower speeds, but it'll suffer from all the same issues that these do while circulating artificially slowly behind the pace car.

Like Croft said, the logical thing to do when the track is wet is allow the cars to circulate at a speed whereby they are not just becoming more and more difficult because of tyres, engines, brakes etc going cold, so they shift the moisture on the track but don't become impossible to drive. If that means the pace car pulls over and lets the lead driver act as a defacto pace car until it's time to go green then that's what they need to do.

That might have worked at 3pm local when the rain wasn't so heavy, but they ruined any chance of actually having a race today by postponing the start when there was no indication at all that conditions were going to get any better.

17 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Long discussion here about how suitable the safety car is for these conditions, but no mention that maybe the cars should be better designed for the wet.

It's remarkable that people think that a sport that is trying to get big manufacturers on board is helped by 'state of the art cars can't actually drive in the rain' being beamed to every market in the world simultaneously. Audi and the likes must be pissing themselves laughing at the nick of this. 

But so long as they can take Eau Rouge flat out and have an 'overtake' button then that definitely evens itself out. 

Pretty sure nascar/inducar etc dont even race if its even damp. Cant compare it to touring cars or anything like that which are effectively suped up road cars. It’s the only race i can remember that hasn’t really started because of the conditions, folk need to settle down.

I'm usually pretty much in the yer da camp of saying they should stop whining and just get on with things, but i think this one just has to go down as exceptional conditions unfortunately at just the wrong time.  In 30+ years of watching I can only think of a handful of races that have been anywhere near as bad as that.

I reckon there could have been a window to get it started at the original attempt but it certainly wouldn't have been a no brainer decision. There's no guarantee that running all cars at race speed would have cleared the track as Spa's geography makes it notoriously hard for the track to dry and that's assuming they could run long enough without a major shunt that would have stopped the race anyway.  With the intense media scrutiny you can absolutely understand a race director not enforcing a start that 95% of drivers are putting on record (rightly or wrongly) as being too dangerous to start .

Bring on Zandvoort ! 

2 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

I'm usually pretty much in the yer da camp of saying they should stop whining and just get on with things, but i think this one just has to go down as exceptional conditions unfortunately at just the wrong time.  In 30+ years of watching I can only think of a handful of races that have been anywhere near as bad as that.

I reckon there could have been a window to get it started at the original attempt but it certainly wouldn't have been a no brainer decision. There's no guarantee that running all cars at race speed would have cleared the track as Spa's geography makes it notoriously hard for the track to dry and that's assuming they could run long enough without a major shunt that would have stopped the race anyway.  With the intense media scrutiny you can absolutely understand a race director not enforcing a start that 95% of drivers are putting on record (rightly or wrongly) as being too dangerous to start .

Bring on Zandvoort ! 

Think the biggest mistake Masi made was not getting the race started behind the SC to begin with. Run 5-10 laps behind the SC and see if things improve - you've got your 2 laps for half points in the bag straightaway and at least you can say you've given it a go. 

Whilst I'm frustrated I'm not sure what else they could have done really.

The F3 and Porsche Super Cup races went ahead in quite bad but yay better than the F1 race. Presumably this was in the forecast. In days gone by they could have moved the race forward the 6 hours or whatever,. UT that's just not how the modern world works.

Aso, whilst Lewis Hamilton's insta posts might be well intentioned about refunds, it's worth remembering most of the European races are on a financial knife edge and paying back all the spectators could (I don't know for sure obviously) see it off the calendar.... To be replaced by another Gulf state race.

On that, Qatar if it happens will be absolutely shite a series of medium / high speed corners, great for bikes, not so for formula cars.

I waited patiently all afternoon hoping for a Canada 2011. Sadly didn't happen. 

The fans should indeed get a refund. I take @Jeek point about the circuit finances but if people paid to watch a race, and all they got was a couple of safety car laps, common sense says they should get a refund. 

Pretty sure nascar/inducar etc dont even race if its even damp. Cant compare it to touring cars or anything like that which are effectively suped up road cars. It’s the only race i can remember that hasn’t really started because of the conditions, folk need to settle down.
They don't race on a damp oval track but they do on the road and street circuits.

On 30/08/2021 at 09:51, Jeek said:

Aso, whilst Lewis Hamilton's insta posts might be well intentioned about refunds, it's worth remembering most of the European races are on a financial knife edge and paying back all the spectators could (I don't know for sure obviously) see it off the calendar.... To be replaced by another Gulf state race.

I'm pretty sure he's worth a few quid.

19 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Kimi has announced his retirement 

If we were to be honest.....that's about 3 or 4 years latter than it really should have been.

Think Alfa will be looking at a Bottas/Ilott partnership next season, Geroge will get the second seat at Mercs alongside Lewis.  Nick De Vries or Albon for the second Williams seat partnering Latifi.

4 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

If we were to be honest.....that's about 3 or 4 years latter than it really should have been.

Think Alfa will be looking at a Bottas/Ilott partnership next season, Geroge will get the second seat at Mercs alongside Lewis.  Nick De Vries or Albon for the second Williams seat partnering Latifi.

De Vries/bottas  for Alfa is what I've heard and Illot is driving in Indy car this weekend looking for a permanent seat for next season over there 

3 hours ago, doulikefish said:

De Vries/bottas  for Alfa is what I've heard and Illot is driving in Indy car this weekend looking for a permanent seat for next season over there 

I'm a bit behind on the IndyCars atm so wasn't aware Illot was looking over there, thought he would have been a shoe in for the Alfa with the Ferrari connection.