The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

That was tremendously entertaining - from the two starts through to Alonso and Hamilton battling it out.

Hungary seems to have produced a fair number of first time winners - can think of Hill, Alonso, Button and now Ocon and there's probably a couple I'm missing.

47 minutes ago, Stu said:

That was tremendously entertaining - from the two starts through to Alonso and Hamilton battling it out.

Hungary seems to have produced a fair number of first time winners - can think of Hill, Alonso, Button and now Ocon and there's probably a couple I'm missing.

Also Hill nearly won in an Arrows in 97 which would've been a first for the team.

13 minutes ago, charger29 said:

Vettel didn't leave enough fuel in the car. Penalty (DSQ?) incoming.
Russell & Latifi stopped just after the finish line so presumably they were quite close to the limit as well.

I always thought that rule only came into effect in qualifying. I remember Hamilton taking pole once (Barcelona  2012?) but running out of fuel on the slow down lap, then being disqualified and starting the race at the back.

17 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

I always thought that rule only came into effect in qualifying. I remember Hamilton taking pole once (Barcelona  2012?) but running out of fuel on the slow down lap, then being disqualified and starting the race at the back.

It appears that his tank was short of the requisite litre of fuel so it looks like he is in trouble.

Apparently he is in breach of article 6.6.4 in the James Farry esq leger of shibboleths 

1 hour ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Also Hill nearly won in an Arrows in 97 which would've been a first for the team.

Fairly sure there were first wins for Honda and some of the various iterations of Renault/Alpine as well. Kovalainen in 2008 was the other driver I was thinking of.

Seems daft, they got a third of a litre which must be enough to determine if they'd spiked the fuel with something illegal. Are they not allowed to cross the line on fumes anymore? Killing the fun.

5 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Well that's the big question really. Hamilton's entire career is full on instances where he has deferred strategy to the team, it's cost him, and he's spent the entire race whining down the radio at them. Begs the question why he isn't taking the decisions for himself.

Because you can't possibly as much information in the car as the room full of strategists do with their screens and computers.

He vents a lot during the race but I find the extent to which that's held against him over the top. It's just as well there's nobody broadcasting what I say when I'm driving.