The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

1 minute ago, afc_36_0 said:

I can already feel the seeth of the hamilton haters but he’s an unbelievable driver

Yeah, but it helps no end if you get to shove the only driver capable of beating you off the track and receive a minimal penalty for it.

2 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

You’re right he did that in the other 98 wins to eh

To be honest, I am more annoyed with the stewards than with Lewis Hamilton, he was not responsible for the level of penalty received, even if he was responsible for putting a man in hospital.

By the way, thank f**k for the halo, again.

2 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

It is possible to be a great driver AND a massive bellend. As Hamilton proves regularly.

Most of the great drivers of the last 40 years have been massive bellends on some level or another. I've watched this sport long enough and seen drivers who were much dirtier than Lewis Hamilton has ever been, despite his professional foul today. I can only imagine how many penalties Michael Schumacher would have got under today's regulations.

It is possible to be a great driver AND a massive bellend. As Hamilton proves regularly.

Most of the great driver/sportsmen are, i don’t particularly like him either but he proves time and time again he is one of the best

4 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

To be honest, I am more annoyed with the stewards than with Lewis Hamilton, he was not responsible for the level of penalty received, even if he was responsible for putting a man in hospital.

By the way, thank f**k for the halo, again.

Hate on him as much as you want but I’m 100% sure he would never intentionally try and put someone in hospital. That’s the dangers of motorsport, they all know the risk.

Edited by IainMorton

It's not like Verstappen is a Carmelite nun. They race wheel-to-wheel at 200mph and Verstappen was pushing Hamilton towards the old pit wall in the preceding straight. What Hamilton did was necky but I wouldn't call it reckless and it's nothing we've not seen from every driver at some point.

In those incidents the drivers know that sometimes you're the dog and sometimes you're the lamp-post.

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It's not like Verstappen is a Carmelite nun. They race wheel-to-wheel at 200mph and Verstappen was pushing Hamilton towards the old pit wall in the preceding straight. What Hamilton did was necky but I wouldn't call it reckless and it's nothing we've not seen from every driver at some point.

In those incidents the drivers know that sometimes you're the dog and sometimes you're the lamp-post.

Not sure what definition of reckless you're using but Google says "heedless of danger or the consequences of one's actions; rash or impetuous." In football's LOTG "reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent..."

Going side by side at 180mph means any contact is usually going to be disastrous. You could drive a bus between Hamilton and the apex, clearly he didn't do enough to avoid the collision when he's the one doing the overtaking - seems reckless to me.

Whereas when he passed Leclerc he went slower and touched the kerb on the inside of the corner, no doubt the experience of lap 1 and the penalty was in his thinking when making the move. We want overtaking but like we saw in Austria penalties have to be given out to those who cross the line.

1 minute ago, Ginaro said:

Not sure what definition of reckless you're using but Google says "heedless of danger or the consequences of one's actions; rash or impetuous." In football's LOTG "reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent..."

Going side by side at 180mph means any contact is usually going to be disastrous. You could drive a bus between Hamilton and the apex, clearly he didn't do enough to avoid the collision when he's the one doing the overtaking - seems reckless to me.

Whereas when he passed Leclerc he went slower and touched the kerb on the inside of the corner, no doubt the experience of lap 1 and the penalty was in his thinking when making the move. We want overtaking but like we saw in Austria penalties have to be given out to those who cross the line.

Hamilton didn't aim at Verstappen, he didn't mean to take him out. His line wasn't bad enough to be described as reckless. If Verstappen opens his hands a little or turns in a metre later the contact never happens. I've seen Hamilton, and many others, push those on the outside a lot wider than that plenty of time.

They were both being aggressive with each other for half a lap. I don't think Hamilton's driving at that corner was much worse than Verstappen's weave across to push Hamilton towards the wall.

I'm not saying Hamilton shouldn't have had a penalty, I'm saying that the hyperbole from those who already hate him makes it sound like he went at Verstappen with a claw hammer.